MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Default What are the MUST HAVE BGE Accessories?

I started a special BGE savings fund this week so I can realize my dream of having a BGE sometime this year hopefully. I'm going to buy the large BGE when the time comes.

For those of you who have eggs, besides the plate setter, what do you consider to be MUST HAVE accessories? I'm going to build a custom table for it, so I won't be needing a nest or table.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

third eyes wiggle rod and third hand. Go to the ceramic grill store and look at the raised grids. If unsure what to get there call and Tom will be glad to talk to you about your needs. He is a great guy. Ypou will not be sorry It is Awesome. If there is an eggfest in your area you may be able to pick up a Demo. This will save you some money. They were only used to cook at the fest usually. Oh you will probably want a table or a nest for the egg. If you are good with wood you can build your own table- check out the Naked Whiz site for plans.
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Grog Baggin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Pizza stone is the first thing that comes to mind. After that something that will allow you to raise the grate up to the opening such as either using stainless bolts, adjustable rig or a woo3.
Grog Baggin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Thirdeye's wiggle rod and Third Hand, pizza stone, and the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store are great! Also, a half moon pizza stone or half-moon shaped pan is great in conjunction with the adjustable rug and a half-moon grid to do two zone cooking.

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Information!!

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Signup!!

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
deepsouth

skip the platesetter and go straight for the adjustable rig with the oval stone. also remember to get an extra pair (three total) cross arms. the half moon cast iron is also pretty nice, but i don't use it as much as i thought i would. also, get the spider and a 10" cast iron grid to cook down low in the egg for steaks and such.

i'm pretty sure you can by the a/r combo to include the spider.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
kennyd0118
Full Fledged Farker

The rib rack. I will also be getting the spider soon.
If you are doing low and slow then a temp monitor like the Maverick so you can sleep at night with out compulsively running out side to check the temp.
kennyd0118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
kennyd0118
Full Fledged Farker

This is why you need the rack.

not enough room

both racks plus trimmings

I was too slow. By the time I got the camera out, thy were half gone.

-Kenny
kennyd0118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
deepsouth

here are some other options to cook more ribs....

adjustable rig and rib rack....

just the adjustable rig...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd recommend that you first give some thought as to how you will use the Egg and then go looking for the accessories that fit your needs or at least your high priority needs. There are so many accessories or Eggcessories out there that you could probably spend as much on them as you will the Egg itself if you're not careful.

Will you be keeping your existing cookers? If so that might influence the priority of the accessories you're buying if you already have the functionality in your other cooker(s).

I definitely recommend that you check out the write-ups on the Ceramic Grill Store site here. Tom (brethren tjv) has some great descriptions and pictures of the many different options of his accessories and this could help you to decide how you really want to use the Egg.

Some personal preferences of mine (most flexible options in my opinion):
- Adjustable Rig/Spider combo w/stone instead of a plate setter
- Third Hand tool over any other grill gripper / grid lifter

Good luck in your quest!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Grange
Knows what a fatty is.

I picked up my BGE this past weekend and based off of what the store owner and my brother-in-law, who owns a BGE, told me I picked up a cast iron grate for steaks. I also grabbed a grate grabber(?) and ash tool.

As far as a pizza stone the store owner said to look online (i.e. amazon) for a good pizza stone. He said I could find a better deal than what he'd charge me for a BGE pizza stone.
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Fever
On the road to being a farker

Just to spice things up, you may want to also consider a Primo. The oval gives you some extra space and flexability
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I will be keeping my existing cookers with the possible exception of the 18.5" WSM. I have a UDS, Weber OTG, and a Weber Smokey Joe w/Mini WSM Conversion.

Ultimately I'd like to have the BGE take over the work my OTG is doing for the most part, which includes pizzas and steaks. I won't be using it for smoking ribs and packer briskets. I'll leave those to the UDS. I'll use the Egg for butts and other cuts of meat though.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I will be keeping my existing cookers with the possible exception of the 18.5" WSM. I have a UDS, Weber OTG, and a Weber Smokey Joe w/Mini WSM Conversion.

Ultimately I'd like to have the BGE take over the work my OTG is doing for the most part, which includes pizzas and steaks. I won't be using it for smoking ribs and packer briskets. I'll leave those to the UDS. I'll use the Egg for butts and other cuts of meat though.
Out of curiosity, why not use the BGE for ribs and briskets as well?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
deepsouth

here is the spider on a 10" cig

edit: and the inside of a well used egg.....

Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Out of curiosity, why not use the BGE for ribs and briskets as well?
Based on my experience with the 18.5" WSM, they just don't fit nearly as well. I'd rather lay my packers out flat and I don't mind cooking them as well as ribs on the UDS. I'm not going to spend the money to get the XL BGE.