The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Mixing Chicken - Thighs and Pulled

It seems that there have been a lot of mixed boxes lately for pork, w/ sliced and maybe pulled or chunked. You also have brisket boxes that include burnt ends.

Is there a reason why mixed boxes of chicken haven't been popular?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
SHBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

i am under the impression that for KCBS pork turn ins if there is more than one serving style of pork ie: sliced, pulled, chunked, the judges are instructed to try each offering and score them as a whole. Chicken on the other hand is a take one piece and judge that piece. It may have changed since i took my judging class, but i'm putting my best 6 pieces of chicken in the box and not taking any chances.
SHBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Chicken is the same as any other category. If there are different types of meat present (thighs and pulled, thighs and breast, etc.) judges are encouraged to try both.

The danger is doing this is that you will be judged on both (doh!). So, if your thighs are perfect, but the pulled is not, your score can be hurt by the pulled meat. So, if you want to do this just make sure that both types of meat are the best you can turn in.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

In FBA pulled or chopped is used for the bed to showcase the thighs. Boxes without generally score lower. It's that fill the box mentality. Both are judged.

Unread 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

The last couple KCBS contests that I've judged had chicken entries that had chopped chicken under the thighs or with the sliced breast. Also judged the "National Barbecue Festival" in Waycross last November where MOST of the chicken entries had chopped chicken under the other pieces/slices.
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can some one give a description of great pulled chicken? And how do you pull it?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

We usually present thighs on a bed of pulled. It is well received. You do need to pay attention to both and make sure they both taste great. Why do we do it? Well, it looks good. It may also keep the meat temperature higher, not sure about that.
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virginian View Post
Why do we do it? Well, it looks good. It may also keep the meat temperature higher, not sure about that.
Do you happen to have a photo you can share?

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

For the CBBQA teams watching this thread- Pulled Chicken is not allowed in PNWBA events.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virginian View Post
We usually present thighs on a bed of pulled. It is well received. You do need to pay attention to both and make sure they both taste great. Why do we do it? Well, it looks good. It may also keep the meat temperature higher, not sure about that.
Yep, the heat sink mod if why we do it. Taste your pulled before you put it in the box. Season it well.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is online now   Reply With Quote