oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Regional Difficulty Level

I know that this might spark some defensive commentary about a home region, but that's not what's intended.

Do you believe that there is an area that is more difficult to compete in than another?

Is there an area that is notorious for having stiff competition or tough judges?

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken. I hate that farkin skin!

Oh wait, you meant geographic location.....

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Smokin' Bad Habit
On the road to being a farker

i think so, example...look at how some of the big boys travel away from the KC area for the sams club contest...

Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

if you look at the 180's club on KCBS site, there's only one from the northeast in the last 3 years.

up here teams can GC with a 650, whereas in other parts of the country that'd get you middle of the pack most of the time. i think judges are tough up here.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, long island judges suck.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

On a contest by contest basis, does the "harshness of judges" (whatever that may actually mean) even matter? It seems the only thing that would make one area harder is if the quality of the cooking teams was better. Now how do you measure that?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Yes, long island judges suck.
is that why sams medford isn't full but jersey is?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Ron_L

In looking at pictures of boxes that are posted here and on Facebook, I have seen boxes from various parts of the country that scored very well (top 5, and it a couple of cases also scored a 180) that I know would have been scored much lower around here. That doesn't take anything away from the teams who turned in those boxes. They were the among best that the judges saw that day. But, it does make me wonder how our boxes would score in those areas

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Are you talking about difficulty of winning a GC? I'd have to put any major Midwest contest on your list, especially those in eastern KS, western MO, eastern NE, IA, & Southern MN. When you look at a list of competitors from that area, it's typically a who's who of BBQ stalwarts. Off the top of my head... Pork Pullin' Plowboys, Tippeycanoe BBQ, Munchin Hogs, Pellet Envy, Big Tz, Swine Assassins, Iowa's Smokey D's, etc.

The depth of competition may vary from region to region, but I think you're always going to have a handful of tough competitors no matter where you go. Especially since many of the big guys travel around the U.S. shooting for a Jack Draw. Johnny Trigg is all over, Quau hits several states, Butcher BBQ, 4 Legs Up covers a lot of ground, Buffalos, etc.

In regards to scores, I think the judging pool can vary from week to week. Here in Colorado, winning scores can vary from 660 to 685 on any given week. However, regardless of that, the top teams still seem to win. It's not a matter of skewed scoring for any particular entry... it seems everyone gets a fair shake albeit the overall scores may be lower than what is expected from time to time.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I think scores vary from region to region. Whether it's because of different CBJ instructers...I don't know. Last year I got a GC with a 635. At another comp a 693 got me 5th overall.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

With classes, growth in competitors, etc. EVERYWHERE is tough !.. no contest is easy, and I think 'bottom feeding' is extinct.
Podge is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with Kapn Kev. Midwest is very, very tough with teams and judges.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

While it's true the big boys seem to avoid the Midwest Sam's, it may also be a result of the difficulty getting into them...so many teams trying to register. No question though, the big boys know how to cherry pick here and there....
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
With classes, growth in competitors, etc. EVERYWHERE is tough !.. no contest is easy, and I think 'bottom feeding' is extinct.

this is right on the money..a "1st year team" could take a couple of classes buy high end cookers , read Chris Harts book and walk into their 1st comp and win. So much info is out there that every comp is up in the air.
A shout out to some awesome sponsors. The BBQ Guru,Dixie Meat Rub, MAKE IT MEATY!Shippensburg Beverage Center and D & T Electric. Thank You. barbequekansascity.com = Chop's Power Injectors. Meat Mitch bbq sauce. WHOMP!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I came in here to post this. Agree 100%
ique is offline   Reply With Quote