THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

amv81

Full Fledged Farker
Here are some pics from my 2nd attempt at ribs on the Weber. If anyone has any tips from past experience, i will take them. Over all they weren't too bad but needed to go just a little longer.

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 319
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 318
  • R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 318
  • R4.jpg
    R4.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 318
They didn't pull off the bone as easily as they usually do. I have read that if they don't pull off very easy the aren't cooked long enough, and if they slide right off they are over cooked. Is that right?

They didn't pull off the bone as easily as they usually do. I have read that if they don't pull off very easy the aren't cooked long enough, and if they slide right off they are over cooked. Is that right?

Overcooked is subjective :) But, the general idea is right. If the meat was sticking to the bone and you had to pull it off with your teeth, then they needed more time. If the meat falls off the bone with little effort then for some folks they are just right, but for others they were cooked too long. If the meat has a mushy texture then they were overcooked by almost anyone's standards.

Well, they look really good from where I'm sitting! My one and only attempt at ribs should have gone longer, too. And pretty much everyone has been telling me the same thing. They should come off the bone without too much resistance, but if they're falling off the bone, they're overdone. Practice makes perfect! :wink:

Overcooked is subjective :) But, the general idea is right. If the meat was sticking to the bone and you had to pull it off with your teeth, then they needed more time. If the meat falls off the bone with little effort then for some folks they are just right, but for others they were cooked too long. If the meat has a mushy texture then they were overcooked by almost anyone's standards.

:tape: :becky:

+1 ^^ What he said

+2 ^^^^ :thumb: Practice, practice, practice!! You'll find your own way soon enough!

There's really nothing wrong with liking ribs that "fall off the bone". Yes they would be considered overcooked if it were in a competition setting but that is the way most consumers are told pork ribs are supposed to be cooked. And that is the way most get them in a restaurant. There you might get steamed or boiled ribs that are thrown on a grill or flattop and smothered in a sweet bbq sauce. And this is where the mushy part comes in to play. If you've ever had ribs like this you'll know they are almost inedible. I usually cook mine till I can tear the smallest rib easily then sauce and cook 20 to 30 more minutes. I look for that slight "pull off the bone" texture myself.

very nice

I agree with done is subjective

If you have any doubt, a tip from the virtual bullet guy is to cook three slabs at a time and pull them off in half hour increments so that you can compare different degrees of done for yourself.

It will also give you an idea who you weber cooks.

Keep a cheap oven thermometer on the grate and take note of the temp any time you have to open the lid (this too helps you understand how your weber cooks)

lastly, a tip I got from here is to use a toothpick to check for done.

I've made ribs on my 26.75" inch countless times. It's all about getting used to the set-up and controlling the temps. With my bottom vents closed and the top vents wide open, I can maintain 250* for hours on end. Just have to re-fuel every once and awhile. Once you figure out how long to cook them, you're golden.

They look wonderful! I like mine to be tender and hang on the bone but I would rather have them fall off than not tender enough. It is hard to over cook them unless you are not paying any attention at all. I just cut one off when I think they are done and try it. If it is not as I like I cook them longer. You are going to cut the up any how. So when you go to cut them pay attention to how easily they bend that is a good indicator also. When you go to do the bend test and it breaks in half you know they are done also. I also will intentionally tear a rack in half to test them. You will figure out what works best for you. So to sum it up in this case it is good to play with your food. : )

Look good to me! I'd say over/undercooked is up to YOU! If you thought they were too tough, go longer next time. If next time you go longer and think they are overcooked, then this time was perfect!

The only "bad" thing is that you'll have to cook ribs again!:becky::thumb:

Hmm intersting. I have had some that were rotissed for bout 3 hours and then put into a steam chamber and they were pretty good. I have had ribs from T's place up here called q4u and they are cooked in electric smoker but are mostly fall of but with a small pull. I like those to. Haha. I think im gonna try 3-1-1 and then finish with a sauce over direct to crisp the bark. Haha.
Thanks

Back