MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Default Money Muscle questions

Bear with me, these might be dumb questions. I am still learning...

Do any of you guys submit your butts with meat exclusively from the money muscle or do you just slice the money money into "medallions" and pull the rest and submit a mix of both?

It seems to me that the money muscle would offer the best flavor. So a cook could do medallions from from butt and pull it from another and have a nice entry (assuming it is cooked well).

Just curious.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I have mixed it in a box with slice, chunks, and pulled but never just submitted slices.

Some teams use multiple butts with one for slicing and one for pulling and the others including mine usually use the same butt for both.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

We cook two butts... one for money muscle, the other for pull. We put a mix of chunks, pulled, and slices.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

You are in NY. As others have noted on here before, slicing in the northeast is a bit of a crap shoot. It's not as common as it is down south, and you may not get rewarded for it. Chunk it.

If you serve only money muscle, you are going to have to make a lot of butts. All of your money muscle should end up in the box, but you are going to have to take meat from other parts of the butt.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote