The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sticky Sweet Candied BBQ.........How did we get here???

Been thinking about this lately. Just about everyone that I talk to says that they don't particularly care for BBQ the way they make it for comps.

This is my question. How did we end up with such a drastic difference between what the typical judge likes and what everyone else likes?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

Judges can only base their taste scores on what they have learned is good BBQ. Unfortunately most of them were raised on Kraft style sauces and this equates to good BBQ to them. Now this is my opinion and I'll probably get flamed but so be it

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
kenthanson
Full Fledged Farker

Because the people who started competing in Q made the Q rules and made it so they would win by telling the judges what to like.

But seriously now, it's kind of like the oscars, the movie you pick to watch on any Friday night isn't usually going win best picture, but the committee picks a movie that makes it seem smart and educated because the members want o feel smarter and more in the know thane regular Joe.

Terrible analogy-check
Bad reasoning-check
Not actually making sense- check
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Because the people who started competing in Q made the Q rules and made it so they would win by telling the judges what to like. <br />
<br />
But seriously now, it's kind of like the oscars, the movie you pick to watch on any Friday night isn't usually going win best picture, but the committee picks a movie that makes it seem smart and educated because the members want o feel smarter and more in the know thane regular Joe. <br />
<br />
Terrible analogy-check<br />
Bad reasoning-check <br />
Not actually making sense- check

Whaaaaa??? They would NEVER tell people what kind of BBQ they should like............would they????

Unread 02-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

I somewhat understand it, we have one bite . It has to something sweet , small kick to it with a wow factor. I don't think you will get that with let's say a dry rubbed rib. The dry rub rib might be good eats when you consume a half or full rack but as a single bite item woudnt. I love texas style brisket when I get a pile on butcher paper etc. But one bite of it being judges might seem bit plain
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

I have wondered the same thing for a few years now, I also don't care for the chicken thighs all looking identical, it's just not normal, all chicken thighs are not the same

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Like Sledneck said, you have one or maybe 2 bites so you need to make that count with a lot of flavor up front. Of course if you made that for home, you wouldn't be able to eat too much.
As far as the sweet goes, almost everybody like sweet but fewer people like heat. Got to play the odds.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
I have wondered the same thing for a few years now, I also don't care for the chicken thighs all looking identical, it's just not normal, all chicken thighs are not the same
that is a whole different thread.......you ever read some of the judges comments on bbq-critic?

As for sweet I agree with Ray, sweet is better than heat
Stumps 3X5 offset with warmer
luckyduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

As Sledneck and Ray said you only have one bite and most of us use the sweet to conteract the heat for what we hope is a bite that makes them want another

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike - CSBBBQ View Post
As Sledneck and Ray said you only have one bite and most of us use the sweet to conteract the heat for what we hope is a bite that makes them want another
That makes sense. Balancing flavors is crucial, so it stands to reason that if you make one aspect more intense, then you have to do the same with the others too.

Unread 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

I turned in ribs once that were so salty I was sure we'd come in DAL. We came in 6th out of 32-34 teams.
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Sled nailed it. You are trying to pack the biggest "wow" into a single bite.

The best way to answer the question is to make a meal out of comp meat, eating as much of that as you would "normal food".

I know that when I make a bunch of food at home, and eat until I am full, I might feel tired or something, but nothing too unusual. After judging a comp, I'm a bit out of sorts for the rest of the day, and I'm not any more full than a bbq feast at home.

I would not want to hear what sodium levels, etc, would be in comp meat compared to regular food. It's probably mind-numbing.
3rd Degree Crockpot Ninja
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
QueNivorous
On the road to being a farker

I think with today's cooks all being very good and cooking very similar turn ins it's getting VERY close at the top. Judges just can't make great calls (IMO) after a few bites. The taste buds are so fouled up there is a real problem with scoring appropriately. Deciding between an 8 and a 9 might be easy at first but impossible after a few bites. To a cook the difference between an 8 or a 9 is HUGE!

Jambo J-3, Jambo Backyard, Backwoods Party, Backwoods Chubby, Custom Offset, WSM, and a Primo Oval XL.
QueNivorous is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

That sluggish feeling after judging is prob from a phosphate overdose!
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

It's like my daughter says when she eats my competition chicken thighs... "this stuff is like BBQ butter...".

I certainly don't see us going around eating sticks of butter for everyday meals, but a half stick o' garlic butter with some fresh caught lobster is nice "NOW AND THEN".

:)
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote