The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #31
sjm845
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Awesome

Nice mod my man. As soon as I saw it I knew that it would work! I did something similar when I made my own daisy wheel exhaust for my wal-mart kettle lid that really was the bottom of the grill out of 2 sheets of aluminum. If the concept works up there it should down below. I'm going to be in the lab this weekend trying to make it work. Thanks!
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #32
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm845 View Post
Nice mod my man. As soon as I saw it I knew that it would work! I did something similar when I made my own daisy wheel exhaust for my wal-mart kettle lid that really was the bottom of the grill out of 2 sheets of aluminum. If the concept works up there it should down below. I'm going to be in the lab this weekend trying to make it work. Thanks!
It's definitely a geometry project....had me using those skills I learned back in high school that I swore I'd never use. I used 15 degree cuts just because that divided nicely into 360 to give me 12 equal sized gaps. The top disc I ended up cutting the gaps out a little smaller so I'd have sufficient coverage when closed up. You can see in the pic that the top disc is a bit smaller in diameter than the bottom disc. That really isn't needed because I changed the support system to be an aluminum X that goes across the bottom disc which is attached to the eye bolt and supports it instead of the 4 bolts. The 4 bolts caused the areas not supported to sag a bit because I didn't use a real stiff steel.

So if I were to do it again:

Make the center of the disc a tad bit bigger for strength
Same sized disc on top and bottom
Use thicker gauged steel or aluminum (but remember it needs to be somewhat flexible in case it's a real tight fit getting it in based on whatever you use for the grill supports)
BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote