The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I like it. I agree with those above not to spritz, but that doesn't make this a useless idea. I've frequently though that smokers need a slot(s) in the side that a plate could just be inserted to seal the lower chamber when the top is off. Let us know how this works for you.
That was my original thought but how to get full coverage without comprimising the sturdiness of the drum was an issue...and how to seal up the slot when not in use.

Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I dont spritz eighter, but sometimes when I have a turkey in I will baste it. I do get temp spikes but they settle very quickly,are your not comming down quickly?
Not really...sometimes I'll have some flames build up and temp will spike up 50 or so degrees and takes a bit to come back down. Wanted it a little more consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeadeere View Post
Well I don't care who you are - that's cooler than hell! Great fabrication! I love the ingenuity you put into that sucker!
Thanks!!
BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
N8man
Babbling Farker

Outstanding concept and craftsmanship!!!!!
Please do let us know how it performs and
take lots of pix.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a little video I took after making all the test fit adjustments. Shows access to the eye bolt by removing the handle on one side of the grill.

Upright Drum Smoker Vent System - YouTube

I'll most likely be using it in action on Saturday and will jot down temps while using it.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very cool
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Excellent!

I wish my brain worked that way. Actually I'd settle for it working at all.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Patrick C.
Got Wood.

Nice! I don't spritz, but I do get temp spikes when I have to flip a bunch of ABTs or otherwise futz with whatever is in the UDS and leave the lid off too long. This looks easier than closing off the bottom vents (on mine, anyway), or removing the racks and putting the lid back on while you flip/rearrange/taste the food.

Interested to see how it works after a few cooks. Will the grease foul the slide, and make it hard to open and close?
Patrick C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #22
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

How big is the charcoal basket you are using, and how much charcoal do you usually use for a typical Rib-O-Lator cook on your drum?

Nice fabrication job on the damper, but what it seems you are doing when you are using it in the open position is cooking indirect. If thats the case you might be better off using a waterpan or heat deflector (gasp!) if you are having that big of a problem with temp spikes.

I don't see the ROL rotisserie ring setup you are using, so I can't gauge how you are using it.

I would suggest you use less charcoal and a smaller basket.

just my 2cents
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C. View Post
Will the grease foul the slide, and make it hard to open and close?
That was the only concern from day 1. We shall see. I'm hoping the grease should theoretically drip on the top disc or drip through the holes onto the fire. So when it slides, there isn't friction from the grease between the top and bottom disc. Wishful thinking

Unread 02-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #24
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
How big is the charcoal basket you are using, and how much charcoal do you usually use for a typical Rib-O-Lator cook on your drum?

Nice fabrication job on the damper, but what it seems you are doing when you are using it in the open position is cooking indirect. If thats the case you might be better off using a waterpan or heat deflector (gasp!) if you are having that big of a problem with temp spikes.

I don't see the ROL rotisserie ring setup you are using, so I can't gauge how you are using it.

I would suggest you use less charcoal and a smaller basket.

just my 2cents
Charcoal basket is big...It's generally always at least half to 3/4 full prior to any cook.

Shouldn't be indirect considering my basket takes up most of the bottom of the drum. Yes it will cut down on some of the direct heat but I'm guessing it will act as a diffuser while open and have a dual purpose.

ROL setup is the weber extension ring on top of the drum. Still can access the handle to open/close.

Unread 02-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
smokin joe's and son
Got Wood.

You may want to try coating it with some Pam before installing in the drum. May eliminate the drippings sticking to it and making it hard to open and close. Interesting concept, like to hear how it comes out.

Last edited by smokin joe's and son; 02-02-2012 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
smokin joe's and son is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Just wanted to give an update for you guys. I didn't get to use the vent in a long cook this weekend like I wanted to. I did however use it while cooking some moinks and armadillo eggs for the Superbowl. I can say that it definitely seemed to help control the temp. I will use the iGrill this weekend on a longer cook and graph out the #'s. As for the concern of build up not allowing it to slide, most all of the build up after the first cook is on the top disc which is not interfering with the sliding motion. One thing to note is my top disc has smaller cutouts which means more surface area (so each cut-out is covered when closed) than the bottom disc to hopefully catch all that stuff. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBarracus View Post
Well damn it all to hell!!

Feel like I wasted hours and dozens of dremel cutting discs

Only had my drum for a little while and guess it sounds like I'm removing my lid too much.

I'm still going to give it a run and see how it goes. Worst case it may help act as a diffuser.
I was looking at your idea here and it's possibilities as a diffuser as well. I have three rack levels in my drum. The bottom rack is just where i place my pizza pan as a diffuser and sometimes set a drip pan on it as well. I think it would make an excellent diffuser system because you could choke down the coals much quicker with a device like that lower in the drum. The only problem I see with it would be getting it gunked up with drippings where it would not turn. It would also be more difficult to open and close underneath a cooking rack in the drum.

I'm liking this idea though... Think about it some more :)

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

To each his own on spritzing/basting. If you wanna do it, then do it. I say you built that thing, use it. You may be very pleasantly surprised.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know how I missed this. I have never really had a problem with controlling temps while cooking. I have had serious issues with fire control while trying to remove finished product.

Once a year I. Cook 16-20 butts for a Church function. I have thus far done it over two days using one UDS and one WSM. Trying to manage 6-8 butts on two grates is almost impossible without flare ups. I have a video floating around that shows just how little time it takes for a drum to become dangerous.

I have visualized this exact concept. Exact. This will solve my issue. Thank you for the engineering.
I need one by April. How much to ship t to Arkansas?

Unread 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
The only problem I see with it would be getting it gunked up with drippings where it would not turn. It would also be more difficult to open and close underneath a cooking rack in the drum.

I'm liking this idea though... Think about it some more :)
Yeah..that's been the main concern and only time will tell. As for it being that low in the drum, I was able to cut out one handle on the grill which gives room for the lever but the longer the lever gets, the more it sways due to its weight. There are options there I guess on using a smaller but longer bolt for the lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillywannaQ View Post
To each his own on spritzing/basting. If you wanna do it, then do it. I say you built that thing, use it. You may be very pleasantly surprised.
Yep...I'm going to put it to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
I have visualized this exact concept. Exact. This will solve my issue. Thank you for the engineering.
I need one by April. How much to ship t to Arkansas?
Don't really see how these can be mass produced considering everyone's drum is a little different based on how they built it. I'm already going to be swapping out my top U Bolts and hopefully using some sort of hinge that I can make go straight up so I can easily slide the vent in straight down. Currently I have to angle it and bend a little to get it to fit since it's almost the same diameter as the drum itself.

If the temps prove themselves this weekend I can definitely post a little more info on my design if you are interested in building one.