The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Moving from "Pro" to "Backyard"??

Let's say a team has competed in about 20 contests in the last 3 years in the "Pro" division.
Never set the circuit on fire, but has walked one or more times in each meat catagory.
Then they decide to compete in the "BackYard" division.
Not just a KCBS question--all sanctioning bodies.

Is this a good thing for the sport ?

TIM

ps. NO, this is not us.
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
K-Train
is one Smokin' Farker

I say bad. Once you decide to cook pro you're pro, especially if you've walked. We walked at our first pro contest, then one of the guys on our team wanted to go back down. I told him nope. Once you go up, you've gone up.
WSM 22.5
K-Train is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

It's not unusual for some one baseball to bounce back and forth between majors and minors if he's just not quite good enough, or if he needs to improve on something on the farm....I think the same rule can be applied here.

I also hate the term "pro" to describe these competitions. I'm not a professional. I do tend to cook in "sanctioned" competitions though. Contrasting sanctioned with unsanctioned, I think there are a myriad of reasons to move back and forth between sanctioned and unsanctioned competition, and I don't think it's a bad thing. Now if the person is able to consistently wipe the floor with the unsanctioned division, maybe it's not fair....

The most important thing to factor to me is what the contest organizer allows. Some events say the unsanctioned portion is open to "any one with a grill or smoker" and others say that no member "may have cooked on a pro team." Find out the rules and follow them. If you don't like the rules, complain to the organizers, not the cooks. That's my $0.02.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

in that instance, i'd think fine, although 20 comps worth of experience would be quite an advantage alone vs. "backyard" division competitors.

any more success than stated above i would think kinda unfair to the other teams.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

Describe “backyard”.
If you are talking about a cheaper entry fee, less categories type of backyard division. Then sure, I often wished it was only a rib contest … or just brisket.
If someone is moving “down” to have less competition or to go after a valuable prize. Then of course not.

Unread 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

20 comps in 3 years is quite a bit.Iif it were just a handful I'd say ok but that's an awful lot of experience to be back down in backyard. I'd say if they drop down and win a contest or two they need to go back up to the pros.

Unread 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

If they promise to donate any winnings to a charity then I'm all for it.

Another scenario. Let's say a team has cooked kcbs events only for the last 6 or 7 years.has won a contest or two and many category calls. They decide to do a contest with let's say FBA sanctioning. Would it be ok for them to compete in the backyard division ?
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
If they promise to donate any winnings to a charity then I'm all for it.

Another scenario. Let's say a team has cooked kcbs events only for the last 6 or 7 years.has won a contest or two and many category calls. They decide to do a contest with let's say FBA sanctioning. Would it be ok for them to compete in the backyard division ?
I can't see how that would be fun. Maybe if they suddenly couldn't afford to compete in pro and it was a local contest? I just can't see why somebody would want to.

Unread 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
I can't see how that would be fun. Maybe if they suddenly couldn't afford to compete in pro and it was a local contest? I just can't see why somebody would want to.
In 2010 there was a first year local MBN competition. They had a "backyard" division which was open to any one with pit. There was also a relatively sizeable entry fee difference. I don't cook MBN, but I do love a local competition. I entered in the backyard, and I'll tell you, I was not even close to the only sanctioned KCBS competitor there. I have absolutely no shame in what I did.

I did pretty well in awards though, and decided not to return to the backyard comp in 2011. For 2012, if they have it again, I think I'll try my hand at MBN. I think that was all okay.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
In 2010 there was a first year local MBN competition. They had a "backyard" division which was open to any one with pit. There was also a relatively sizeable entry fee difference. I don't cook MBN, but I do love a local competition. I entered in the backyard, and I'll tell you, I was not even close to the only sanctioned KCBS competitor there. I have absolutely no shame in what I did.

I did pretty well in awards though, and decided not to return to the backyard comp in 2011. For 2012, if they have it again, I think I'll try my hand at MBN. I think that was all okay.

dmp
I guess that makes sense. MBN is a different animal.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post

dmp

Oh NOOOOOO!!!!! Welcome to the dark side (MBN)!!!!

After doing it a time or two (competing in MBN), I find that it's all I want to compete in. It's just SO darned tough; that's the fun of it to me. And no, I didnt and wont compete in their Backyard division, refer to below:

To the question: To me being as 99% of us, whether we actually make a profit at this or not, don't do this as our profession (ergo. we ain't a real Pro). To me, if a competitor wants to rule the Backyard section, I'm thinking let him have it. Then again, to me, if you ain't competing with the big boyz, you ain't competing.

Unread 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone have thoughts on "why" some events have a "BackYard" division?
I think the reason for their existance might lead to some sort of policy on who qualifies to cook them.

Also, I wonder how I would feel if I entered my first (or 5th) local BackYard event and all the marbles were taken by a team with an established "Pro" history.
Not sure I would have any interest in doing it again either as a BackYard team or a "Pro" team.

Just some thoughts and questions.

And, the MBN example is good.
MBN is so into their own thing that prior experience in other bodies is not a huge advantage. Some for sure, but not to the extent of moving within KCBS, FBA, and others.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For many years many organizers have felt pressure to have basically an ancillary "division" for guys who are too intimidated to compete against the big kahuna's. I personally never understood it, but they have and have had the backyard portions for a long time. I'm not sure why either KCBS, MBN or other sanctioning bodies now have backyard divisions, but it's probably to try to bring the new/smaller teams into the fold and not have them alienated. It's probably this very thing that brings KCBS to the question of should they allow gas as a fuel source or not... It's that "lets be inclusive" and embrace the rookie thing.

But, yeah, if you're a rookie and you get trounced by a pretty well healed team in a backyard division, I can imagine that it pretty much defeats the whole purpose.

Unread 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

To the best of my knowledge, KCBS does not have any rules covering this. Going a step further, I don't know that KCBS should adopt any. I think this issue currently rests with event organizers, and it should probably remain that way.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

How about moving down to backyard is allowed if the entire team competes in pink tutus and tiaras?

Thanks from: --->