ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question A simple question for the pellet pooper people...

I have been looking into these lately and am liking a lot of the features from various makes and models...but...can you get enough smoke cooking at 325-350 degrees from ANY of them?
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Honestly, JD, after a year with my Traeger I'd say "no". The higher the heat, the less the smoke, and mine doesn't smoke all that much to start with. You know what, though - the food comes out GREAT so...?

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I guess it depends on what you consider enough smoke The pellets burn very efficiently even at 250, so at 325-350 the smoke flavor will be very light, especially if compared to a stick or charcoal smoker.

I don't cook at 325 in my FEC, but I have never received a comment card telling me that I didn't have enough smoke flavor (not that that really means anything )

**** In the Greater Chicago Area? Join us for the Annual Northern Illinois Brethren Mid Winter Gathering - Jan. 24th, 2015

The Naked Fatty!

Equipment list temporarily removed
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba

There's barely any smoke flavor at normal temps.

Compared to what your used too I should add. :)
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
5am
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd have to agree with everyone here. Ive cooked in the 350 range on my pellet smoker for fun. While the meat turned out really good, there was zero smoke flavor. Lower the temprature, the more smoke. At least it seems that way to me.
5am is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
cowgirl

The higher the heat, the less smoke on my Memphis Pro... but when I want more smoke at 325 to 350, I place a foil pouch of pellets directly on the cooking grate.
Usually foods I am smoking at 350 aren't going to smoke for hours... so the pouch adds just enough "umph" for me.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

I would echo all the comments so far. Not much smoke to start with, and even less so at 325-350. I really like Jeanie's idea and will have to give that a try. I will tell you that the food does turn out tasting great with a subtle smoke flavor and the convection action really speeds up the cooks.

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Merry Christmas... Chitter was full!
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Pugsley
Knows what a fatty is.

just as everyone here has said here,little smoke at higher temps but I kinda like it like that.... food is pretty darn tasty!
jlm

Unread 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

JD check your PMs

We get all the flavor we need at 275
At 350 you will have to work the smoke doctor

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
martyleach
Babbling Farker

I've got a MAK and love it for everything except the smoke. I can make awesome smoked salmon at 170 degrees (4-5 hours) but once it gets over 200 or so the smoke really tapers off but the flavor is great.
MAK One Star, Smokey Joe, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #11
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

On my older Traeger 075 I set the controler at 180* for an hour or twol before I ramp it up to 225*. Iff you want more smole take some foil & cromble it int a loose ball that will almost block the exhaust on the inside of the stack. Just remember to take it out before you crank it up.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Roguejim
Knows what a fatty is.

The Achilles Heel of pellet poopers is smoke flavor at high temps. It's just not there. Some resort to Smoke Daddys. I resort to placing wood chunks on the fire pot diffuser plate.
Roguejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

I either put chunks on the firepot, or tun a small 4x4 SS tin with lit lump and small chunks in it...

or run for an hour or 3 at 180, then crank it up to 325. longer times at lower temps give u more smoke.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I see where Thom sent you a PM -- maybe he got you the answer you sought. Here's the scoop:

NEITHER a stick burner NOR a pellet cooker will produce gobs of smoke at high temps because combustion is being aided there by air induction. You can produce gobs of smoke on a charcoaler at those temps by inducing chips or chunks into the embers.

The myth that pellet cookers don't produce smoke is often passed on in this forum by folks who don't know the machinery, haven't taken time to learn it, and/or haven't adapted their methods and recipes. Fact: I can over smoke food on both of my pellet cookers (Memphis and Traeger).

On most pellet units, optimal smoke production occurs below 250 or so. Thus, to get more smokiness you'll need a period of the cook which is devoted to this range. Further, you'll need to experiment with different pellet brands and types to find the ones that best suit your taste and type of cooking. There are major differences.

Finally, if your taste is heavy, heavy creosote-belching where smoke is the dominant and sometimes only flavor in your cook, don't cook on pellets -- when used properly, pellet cookers produce adequate, controlled smoke flavor that can combine well with the meat, the spices and the sauce to produce great food.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
JD McGee

Thanks for the input folks...I get plenty of smoke from my WSM's at high heat...my comp game plan is geared toward 325-350 cooking temps for my big meats...just curious if I could use a pellet pooper to achieve the same results in the same time. Thom...I will call you later...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is online now   Reply With Quote