oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default RF Smoker Build Questions

I am picking up a section of 20"x42"x1/4" pipe on Friday. I will be making a RF smoker. Based on the calculation spreadsheet, my firebox will be 17" cubed. I have a few questions:

1. How far from the end (opposite the firebox) should the diffuser plate extend?

2. How do you calculate the door size?

3. What is best to use to cut the door opening? I have a plasma cutter and angle grinders. It would seem that cutting the door with an angle grinder would produce the straightest cuts.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

The Lang 48 (4 foot) R/F had (roughly) a 5 to 6" baffle opening (full depth - front to back).

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

here's my 2cents if I understand your questions...

1. the plate should extend to the opposite end of the firebox so that it catches drips,most extend past the drip point a few inches. The opening on that side should atleast be the same size as the firebox opening into the pit, often bigger. does that make sense?

2. Door size is your call, just remember, the bigger the door, the more heavier it will be. I like to use as much area inside the pit as I can so I like big doors.

3.I find that with 1/4in. the angle grinder works best. buy the best blades you can(i like dewalt's), and make sure your a/grinder is atleast 10amp, trust me on this one.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

just re-read your post, if your comfortable with a plasma use it. My hand is just better with an angle for some reason...

Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I would use the plasma. You can use some flat bar or even some straight wood clamped to the tube for a straight edge guide and drag the plasma torch across the guide for straight cuts.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
TuscaloosaQ
is One Chatty Farker

I would use a plasma if your steady which I am been a welder/fabricator for 33years. I personally would not use a grinder, If I was going that route i would use a metabo that is exactly what it is made for. It leaves a very small kerf. Cut where your hinges go first then weld them on and then proceed.
TuscaloosaQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Instead of welding up a cube and cutting the door out, why don't you leave the end open that would have the door, weld some angle on the inside of the box all the way round and use the entire side as the door? I'm sure you could fabricate a handle/closing mechanism that would latch behind the angle iron.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
Weber Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
Instead of welding up a cube and cutting the door out, why don't you leave the end open that would have the door, weld some angle on the inside of the box all the way round and use the entire side as the door? I'm sure you could fabricate a handle/closing mechanism that would latch behind the angle iron.
That technique works well on the Klose pit... the full side is the door (not cut-out).

Lang does have the cut-outs...

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote