The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #121
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Chicago Italian "Inspired" Beef sammie... I'll vote for that!
Makes my Zombie Sammie look like a TURD sitting next to yours.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner!
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky!
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #122
Al Czervik
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
Chicago Italian "Inspired" Beef sammie... I'll vote for that!
Makes my Zombie Sammie look like a TURD sitting next to yours.

Your Zombie Sammie looks nothing like a turd...

It looks farkin' scrumpdillicious!

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #123
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Every now and then I believe the entries are consistently improving, but then when I go back to older voting threads, I see that there has always been some stiff competition. I do believe that the more Throwdowns that people enter, the better their entries get. However, not everyone has hung around the last 3 years and kept participating, so we always have new blood coming in and getting better and better.

The quality of the photo's in the throwdown threads are outstanding. The examples you posted from older throwdowns are excellent as well. Being the super throwdown noobian that I am, it really doesn't matter to me whether or not I win. My feeling about the throwdowns is the same as the way I feel about that "journey or destination" thread from a couple days ago. It's fun to go through the process of entering something into a throwdown (planning, prepping, cooking, taking pictures-which I suck at, and chirping about it). I think actually participating makes you realize what great cooks all of you are and what it takes to present such great looking food!

I plan on continuing to enter throwdowns and am looking forward to improving my photography skills as well, seeing as though I don't have a professional photographer living at my house. I've also been trying to convince my wife for a while now that we need an SLR, you know, to take pictures of the kids and all.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #124
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I really see both sides of Al's comment. I have gone through old TD threads on MANY occasions and am always amazed by the entries. I don't think the entries are better now, but I really believe the picture quality is significantly better. It used to be that RTD and maybe one or two others had good pics and there were a lot of others, whose pics were ok, but not great. Now, there are a LOT of good pics in each TD. I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction. Before, we had to look carefully at each picture or we'd just be voting for the same couple people each time. Now we can just ignore all the sub-par pics and still have quite a few to decide between. I hope we don't get lazy and we keep considering all the entries, how they are cooked, how they might taste, and especially how they satisfy or interpret the particular throwdown topic. You will always have a certain number of voters who will vote for the prettiest picture, but I would hate this to evolve into just a simple photo contest.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #125
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

As a professional photographer, I know I could just phone it in on the cook, and take my chances on a pretty picture. That's why I try to give a complete description of my cook -- as much as I can given the week's workload. I really like to post a photo that shows my entry in the best way, but I want the entry to get votes, not the photography. I took some pretty bad pictures of my food early on, thinking it wouldn't be fair for me to use what I know to take good photos. But, as a professional, it really made me cringe when I looked at those photos. So now, I just try not to go overboard, but at least take pictures I'm not ashamed of.

Anyone who votes for my entries based on a photo, without reading my description and imagining how my food tastes, is not really voting for my entry, IMO.

We all have our own personal criteria for voting. I personally look at the effort and creativity involved in an entry. On the other hand, something that looks good, but clearly didn't involve effort or creativity doesn't generally interest me as a throwdown entry. It may look and taste good, but how much of the person went into the food?

I gave bigabyte chit for his leftovers sandwich smothered with sauce from a jar -- and because he is bigabyte -- but then he turns around an earns my vote a week later with a Street Food entry that exhibits a lot of creativity and a lot of effort.

Overall, I think the throwdowns have their highs and lows. We all feel inspired one week, and struggle for a good entry the next week. As long as we are having fun, that's fine with me.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #126
fingerlickin'

This is true Gore. I think it's a little intimidating to a new entrant in competing with the quality of the photos in most of the entries. I'm not sure that line actually made sense but what I mean is, I think oldyote could take a picture of a turd and someone would vote for it. I'm just using him as an example, I think the turd reference holds true with a lot of people. CD's a professional photographer for pete's sake. If I were the one going through all the effort to organize these throwdowns, or a wily veteran like yourself it would cross my mind that this fact is keeping new people from entering. Obviously, the only solution is to make everyone take crappier pictures.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #127
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

^^^ I think this says a lot. The last thing CD would want is people to vote for him because of the picture and not because of the food. I'm sure when he reads comments to that effect, it makes him cringe. It's like beating a 2nd grader at one-on-one basketball -- yeah, you won, but so what.

edit: fingerlickin' -- this was to CD's response, obviously.

And to fingerlickin', I agree and think the recent rash of great photos is discouraging to new entrants. I agree that the crappy photo requirement is one solution, but I think voters who take a bit more time, like CD says, and consider all the factors that go into an entry is another one.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #128
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes. From now on, I will be taking crappy pictures, it will be my contribution to the Throwdowns, can more 0's be far behind?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #129
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

I submit crappy pics of crappy food and still manage to get votes.
Brethren Vendor Forum: Giveaways, & Brethren Only Discounts!
  • Naturiffic Harvest Brine Available Here
  • Get Q-Salt Here
SirPorkaLot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #130
fingerlickin'

Actually Gore my response was originally for you, in reference to this line "I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction." I just happened to get up from my desk (since I'm obviously working here) for a minute before I hit submit. In the meantime CD posted his comments which happened to jive with my response to you.

While all that was going on I've now decided that it is really nice of CD to dumb down all of his photos to give the rest of us a chance. How am I ever going to get my first zero like that. I couldn't have taken any worse pictures than the ones in the saucy throwdown and someone still voted for me. This zero thing may be harder than I thought.

Thanks for your contribution Landarc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I wasn't going to comment on this, but I really see both sides of Al's comment. I have gone through old TD threads on MANY occasions and am always amazed by the entries. I don't think the entries are better now, but I really believe the picture quality is significantly better. It used to be that RTD and maybe one or two others had good pics and there were a lot of others, whose pics were ok, but not great. Now, there are a LOT of good pics in each TD. I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction. Before, we had to look carefully at each picture or we'd just be voting for the same couple people each time. Now we can just ignore all the sub-par pics and still have quite a few to decide between. I hope we don't get lazy and we keep considering all the entries, how they are cooked, how they might taste, and especially how they satisfy or interpret the particular throwdown topic. You will always have a certain number of voters who will vote for the prettiest picture, but I would hate this to evolve into just a simple photo contest.

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #131
fingerlickin'

Oh, and my real name is Jason. I'm going to add that to my sig right now. It's a real pain in the arse to have to type fingerlickin' every time. I don't love my screen name either. My friends actually call me The Daddy, in fact everyone I know besides my wife and parents call me Daddy. Sometimes Big Daddy, Mac Daddy, Daddio is very popular but we already have one of those around here. A couple people call me Pimp. One guy calls me Big D*ck Daddy from Cincinnati. Seriously, I'm not creative enough to make this stuff up and I'm not from Cincinnati. Unfortunately for some reason my wife doesn't call me BDDFC though.

The funny thing is when I first registered here on the brethren I think I may have just wanted to get into the recipe section or something. Not realizing that this forum would jump through my computer screen and grab me by the throat and never let go. So I chose my screen name rather hastily and I guess it just bothers me a bit. I'm always hesitant to tell people that but since we're brothers and all I figured what the hell. Usually when I'm introduced to someone as The Daddy by one of my friends, peoples initial reaction is WTF but by the end of the night they are calling me Daddy too. Remember back in the 90's when there were a lot of those "Who's Your Daddy" t-shirts. Yeah, it started back then. I guess I could have been given a worse nickname like porky or something so I'm not actually complaining, my screen name just bugs me. Like if I actually told one of my friends my screen name here was fingerlickin' they would probably rag me for it. Why didn't you just call yourself The Daddy dumbarse?

OK, now that I feel like an idiot and have gotten that off my chest. Feel free to rip me about any of that now.

Anyway, what's the best strategy to get a zero again?

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #132
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

You have obviously never seen me play basketball.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #133
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
You have obviously never seen me play basketball.
Take some pictures of yourself playing hoops. You'll probably come out looking like Jordan.

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #134
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Oh, and my real name is Jason. I'm going to add that to my sig right now. It's a real pain in the arse to have to type fingerlickin' every time. I don't love my screen name either. My friends actually call me The Daddy, in fact everyone I know besides my wife and parents call me Daddy. Sometimes Big Daddy, Mac Daddy, Daddio is very popular but we already have one of those around here. A couple people call me Pimp. One guy calls me Big D*ck Daddy from Cincinnati. Seriously, I'm not creative enough to make this stuff up and I'm not from Cincinnati. Unfortunately for some reason my wife doesn't call me BDDFC though.

The funny thing is when I first registered here on the brethren I think I may have just wanted to get into the recipe section or something. Not realizing that this forum would jump through my computer screen and grab me by the throat and never let go. So I chose my screen name rather hastily and I guess it just bothers me a bit. I'm always hesitant to tell people that but since we're brothers and all I figured what the hell. Usually when I'm introduced to someone as The Daddy by one of my friends, peoples initial reaction is WTF but by the end of the night they are calling me Daddy too. Remember back in the 90's when there were a lot of those "Who's Your Daddy" t-shirts. Yeah, it started back then. I guess I could have been given a worse nickname like porky or something so I'm not actually complaining, my screen name just bugs me. Like if I actually told one of my friends my screen name here was fingerlickin' they would probably rag me for it. Why didn't you just call yourself The Daddy dumbarse?

OK, now that I feel like an idiot and have gotten that off my chest. Feel free to rip me about any of that now.

Anyway, what's the best strategy to get a zero again?
I'm confused. Are we supposed to call you Big D*ck fingerlickin' Daddy from Cincinnati cuz honestly fingerlickin' is easier.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #135
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Take some pictures of yourself playing hoops. You'll probably come out looking like Jordan.
Even if I had CD's skills behind the camera I couldn't pull that off.

Tags
Farkin' Idiots, Gator Country, Got a Black Magic Gator, Jumped the Alligator Parts, N8 still has nice balls, Not A Meatball Throwdown, Special Farkin Rules, Street Alligators are Tough, Street Draggin Gator Balls