The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #151
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Farking Gore and Ecode, hogging all the wins. Actually, I thought I had my third zero sewn up, then I actually got 2 or 3 votes, so you never know. It is hard to win or get a zero. Fortunately, I expect neither.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #152
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
OK, your numbers are quite a bit lower than my tally. I think you might not be counting DQs perhaps? I counted that I'd passed 100 a few months ago. Anyway, I would tend to agree with you about regulars having a harder time. I believe part of this is when someone new shows up, everything looks really new and exciting. Then after we see them a few times we get a bit bored again. And I also have observed some REALLY outstanding entries by some regulars (for example, by RTD) that I felt were by far better than anything else, but still didn't win. It can depend on what is said, what else was submitted, the conversations in the threads, the direction the wind is blowing, and I think especially by the initial voters. But no, I really don't have a good explanation.
The numbers in that last post only counted data up to the Fast Food Throwdown, because I do not have polling results loaded in the database for anything after the Fast Food Throwdown. You have entered at least two dishes since then.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #153
landarc

I also think that there is a tendency for folks to like certain foods, steak on forks for instance, or ribs, folks vote for ribs a lot. In a simple TD, a well done brisket or burnt ends will always compete well.

Tofu is a hard sell, eggplant can be also.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #154
Al Czervik
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
and I think especially by the initial voters
+ a bunch on this... It seems like once the momentum starts going a certain way, it's pretty tough to overcome. I suspect some people look at the poll results first and then follow the other lemmings off the cliff.

[COLOR=navy]Traeger 075,[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Weber Performer,[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, [/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen[/COLOR]
[B][I][FONT=Palatino Linotype][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39Member"][COLOR=red]Zero[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red] Club Member [/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=red]qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...[/COLOR] :bow:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]
[SIZE=1](\__/)[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=1](='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa [/SIZE][/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=1](")_(") [/SIZE][/LEFT]
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #155
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I also think that there is a tendency for folks to like certain foods, steak on forks for instance, or ribs, folks vote for ribs a lot. In a simple TD, a well done brisket or burnt ends will always compete well.

It was always my dream to win with eggplant, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. Of course someone I know won three times with eggplant, I think just to rub it in.

I'd have to say that Zombies also are a hard sell.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #156
bigabyte

I have a theory that women have a competitive edge when it comes to cooking with eggplant. Men just can't do it. I think they lose some sort of respect by submitting it, or something. I just don't know.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #157
Al Czervik

Quote:
I think eggplant just freaks some people out...

[COLOR=navy]Traeger 075,[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Weber Performer,[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, [/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen[/COLOR]
[B][I][FONT=Palatino Linotype][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39Member"][COLOR=red]Zero[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red] Club Member [/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=red]qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...[/COLOR] :bow:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]
[SIZE=1](\__/)[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=1](='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa [/SIZE][/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=1](")_(") [/SIZE][/LEFT]
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #158
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
+ a bunch on this... It seems like once the momentum starts going a certain way, it's pretty tough to overcome. I suspect some people look at the poll results first and then follow the other lemmings off the cliff.
I thought you had to vote before u got to see the results?

sent from my android device using tapatalk

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #159
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I thought you had to vote before u got to see the results?

There is a link on the poll (small text) that lets you see the results so far before you have voted.

I wish I could disable it, but there is no option to do so.

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #160
landarc

I think women have a competitive edge period, if Cowgirl entered, she would win with 8000 votes. She could enter wool and win. If Tish enters that pulled pork in Make it Funky, she will win, I predict it.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #161
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
I think women have a competitive edge period, if Cowgirl entered, she would win with 8000 votes. She could enter wool and win. If Tish enters that pulled pork in Make it Funky, she will win, I predict it.
I think I'd agree with Bob. Wonder what the probabilities of winning are for women vs. men. That would be too much work to figure out, but I would bet they're vastly different and we're at a huge disadvantage.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #162
bigabyte

We've already proven the wives are always on top. Do we really need to go over that again?

I'm going to go over that again with my wife.

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #163
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Duh....... the landing is a lot softer if your the last one off the cliff.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #164
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
There is a link on the poll (small text) that lets you see the results so far before you have voted.

I wish I could disable it, but there is no option to do so.
I wish I wouldn't know that. But thanks for the info. Temptation is the devil. It's so much more fun not knowing.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #165
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

From my perspective:
I cook what I like eating. Turns out comfort food isn't so photogenic, at least not with my limited skills.
So I find myself going outside my normal cook, being more creative.
All do to the Throwdowns.

I look at these just like I look at comp BBQ. As long as I don't place DAL, and I have fun, learn something and grow in my cooking, then it was a successful competition.

There are a lot better cooks and a lot better photographers on here than I could ever hope to be, so there is always room for improvement on my end.
That is why I enter, and suggest that others do the same regardless of the level of skills ( cooking or photography) you may have.

When I vote, I vote with my stomach. Which dish speaks to me.
Brethren Vendor Forum: Giveaways, & Brethren Only Discounts!
  • Naturiffic Harvest Brine Available Here
  • Get Q-Salt Here
SirPorkaLot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Farkin' Idiots, Gator Country, Got a Black Magic Gator, Jumped the Alligator Parts, N8 still has nice balls, Not A Meatball Throwdown, Special Farkin Rules, Street Alligators are Tough, Street Draggin Gator Balls