oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #136
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
I'm confused. Are we supposed to call you Big D*ck fingerlickin' Daddy from Cincinnati cuz honestly fingerlickin' is easier.
I figured I'd let you sort that out. I'm too tired after typing that explanation. Maybe you should call me blabberfinger' Maybe I shouldn't have suggested that.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #137
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Honestly, the talk about good photo's vs bad photos, and how hard it is to get a zero is nothing new. I'm frankly not even 100% sure it is any different today than it was three years ago.

I agree with Gore that there were fewer "great" photographers three years ago than there are today. However, we didn't see the great photographers winning all of the contests back then, and we still don't see that today. They may win more often than others, but I am still to this day posting "This is so-and-so's first appearance in the Throwdown Hall of Flame" in a lot of the announcements for the winner.

So, being able to take a great picture does give you an advantage, but obviously only a little. This makes me think that voters are still looking at more than just the quality of the photo from week to week.

In the vote threads, in the comments people post, how many times do you hear, "It was such a good photograph I had to vote for it", compared to comments indicating personal tastes about food or based on the creativity of the dish? I hear more about dishes calling to people or creativity than I hear talk about photo quality.

These discussions are good to have though, it helps to make people think about it. It can be far too easy for someone new to the Throwdowns to arrive at too quick of a judgement, and incorrectly assume that the Throwdowns are based on the best picture because, after all, what kind of food contest can you possibly have where nobody gets to taste the food? While that may seem like a logical argument, we have a huge list of winners over the last three years to prove that it does not boil down to the professional photographers. The facts say otherwise.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #138
bigabyte

Just for reference purposes for this discussion, this is the list of Throwdown winners, and the number of times they have won (in descending order). We have 67 different winners out of 168 different Throwdowns.

Take a look and highlight the professional photographers, then the amateurs who have figured out how to take really good photographs, and the rest who simply take good photos, or maybe even bad photos (like myself for example). I am not seeing the top of the list dominated by professional photographers. They are clearly up there in general though. So their skills bring them a benefit, but obviously you can win based on other skills as well (or just luck taking a good photo perhaps).

Gore 14
ecode 14
Thirdeye 10
BobBrisket 8
SmokinAussie 6
Redhot 6
Ron L 5
Rick's Tropical Delight 5
R2Egg2Q 5
High Q 5
bluetang 5
Shiz-Nit 4
River City Smokehouse 4
Moose 4
caseydog 4
Will work for bbq 3
SmokeJumper 3
N8man 3
deguerre 3
Al Czervik 3
The Pickled Pig 2
Que-Dawg 2
Oldyote 2
Nature Boy 2
MadCityJim 2
landarc 2
Jonny Rotisserie 2
JD McGee 2
Grillinski 2
Cracklin Jeorge 2
colonel00 2
BurntFinger Jason 2
Brewmaster 2
bigabyte 2
zydecopaws 1
The BBQ QB 1
Skidder 1
silverfinger 1
SaucyWench 1
rolf 1
Pork Smoker 1
Plowboy 1
Phrasty 1
Midnight Smoke 1
Meat Burner 1
MayDay 1
JiveTurkey 1
Jeff in KC 1
h00kemh0rns 1
Groundhog66 1
Grillman 1
Goose 1
fweck 1
FattyMac 1
Divemaster 1
Diva Q 1
Desert Dweller 1
deez20 1
caseydog, Shiz-Nit, Will work for bbq 1
Buster Dog BBQ 1
Brimhack 1
Bowhnter 1
BigButzBBQ 1
BBQ Grail 1
Bacon 1
Alan in Ga 1
"""---k---""" 1

by the way....according to this list, I am tied for 8th place in the most wins of all time! I'm in the all-time top ten! There's your proof that you don't have to know anything in order to be a winner here!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #139
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Actually Gore my response was originally for you, in reference to this line "I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction." I just happened to get up from my desk (since I'm obviously working here) for a minute before I hit submit. In the meantime CD posted his comments which happened to jive with my response to you.

While all that was going on I've now decided that it is really nice of CD to dumb down all of his photos to give the rest of us a chance. How am I ever going to get my first zero like that. I couldn't have taken any worse pictures than the ones in the saucy throwdown and someone still voted for me. This zero thing may be harder than I thought.

Thanks for your contribution Landarc.
I think that, like good photography, getting a zero requires a certain amount of skill that is not easily taught. You just do it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #140
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Oh, and my real name is Jason. I'm going to add that to my sig right now. It's a real pain in the arse to have to type fingerlickin' every time.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #141
bigabyte

I got my first two zero's before zero's were cool. After that, it has been easier to win than get a third zero. That's how difficult it is to get a zero.

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #142
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I must say, I am completely shocked by that list, Chris. I would've thought that Rick, Thirdeye, and BobBrisket each had about 20 wins. Their pictures in year 1 are permanently etched into my gray matter. For me though, one of the most impressive participants was River City Smokehouse. Only 4 wins, but each entry made an impression. I certainly can agree with Chris that it doesn't take photography skill to win, or a good camera. Some of us simply rely on the law of averages. I bet I have more than twice the number of entries of anyone else, proof that perseverance pays off. It would be interesting to see what the total number of entries for these people is and the winning percentages.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #143
bigabyte

Honestly, I think the voters tend to be harsher on those who are regularly solid contenders, in order to keep things fair for everyone else. I have no proof of that though. However, after RTD racked up several quick wins, people seemed to stop voting for him, and many of his best ever photos did not win (even though the dish was good too). The only explanation I have is that people didn't want to just vote for RTD all the time. I think some others towards the top of that list have had similar things happen. Again, I have no proof though. I just know that sometimes I see an amazing picture of a spectacular dish, and it loses to another dish that is also good, but in my opinion wasn't as good as the other one is all.

It's probably just the foil talking.

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #144
bigabyte

I haven't loaded the voting results for any Throwdowns since the "Fast Food" Throwdown, but here is the info up to that point.

These are Throwdown winners, the number of Throwdowns they have entered, and the total number of entries they have posted (some Throwdowns allowed multiple entries).

The first number is the number of Throwdowns they have entered. The second number is the total number of individual dishes they have posted as entries.

Al Czervik 7 9
Alan in Ga 24 25
Bacon 14 14
BBQ Grail 16 16
bigabyte 32 43
BigButzBBQ 26 27
bluetang 38 38
BobBrisket 26 27
Bowhnter 9 9
Brewmaster 6 6
Brimhack 3 3
BurntFinger Jason 7 7
Buster Dog BBQ 7 7
caseydog 19 21
colonel00 11 14
Cracklin Jeorge 9 9
deez20 3 4
deguerre 34 34
Desert Dweller 15 15
Diva Q 4 4
Divemaster 1 1
ecode 65 66
FattyMac 10 11
fweck 10 10
Goose 5 5
Gore 83 98
Grillinski 2 2
Grillman 13 13
Groundhog66 6 7
h00kemh0rns 3 3
High Q 37 40
JD McGee 19 19
Jeff in KC 2 2
JiveTurkey 1 1
Jonny Rotisserie 15 15
landarc 19 19
MadCityJim 9 9
MayDay 5 5
Meat Burner 24 24
Moose 28 28
N8man 25 27
Nature Boy 4 4
Oldyote 17 18
Phrasty 4 4
Plowboy 7 8
Que-Dawg 12 14
R2Egg2Q 9 10
Redhot 27 27
Rick's Tropical Delight 44 51
River City Smokehouse 9 13
rolf 3 3
Ron L 35 36
SaucyWench 2 2
Shiz-Nit 15 16
silverfinger 2 2
Skidder 4 4
SmokeJumper 9 9
SmokinAussie 44 44
The BBQ QB 10 10
The Pickled Pig 8 8
thirdeye 47 49
Will work for bbq 13 14
zydecopaws 14 14

If we take those and compare the the number of wins (filtered to remove Throwdowns since the Fast Food Throwdown to compare apples to apples), then we can get the percentage odds of that person winning based on their number of wins and the number of Throwdowns they entered. I sorted the results from best chance to lowest. Looks like the regulars have the worst chance of winning.

JiveTurkey 100
Divemaster 100
Grillinski 100
R2Egg2Q 56
Nature Boy 50
Jeff in KC 50
SaucyWench 50
River City Smokehouse 44
deez20 33
h00kemh0rns 33
rolf 33
SmokeJumper 33
Brewmaster 33
Brimhack 33
BobBrisket 31
BurntFinger Jason 29
Al Czervik 29
Shiz-Nit 27
Diva Q 25
The Pickled Pig 25
Skidder 25
Phrasty 25
Will work for bbq 23
MadCityJim 22
ecode 22
Cracklin Jeorge 22
thirdeye 21
MayDay 20
Goose 20
Redhot 19
Groundhog66 17
Que-Dawg 17
Gore 14
Buster Dog BBQ 14
Plowboy 14
High Q 14
Ron L 14
Moose 14
bluetang 13
Jonny Rotisserie 13
Bowhnter 11
SmokinAussie 11
Rick's Tropical Delight 11
JD McGee 11
caseydog 11
landarc 11
FattyMac 10
fweck 10
The BBQ QB 10
deguerre 9
colonel00 9
Grillman 8
N8man 8
Desert Dweller 7
zydecopaws 7
Bacon 7
Oldyote 6
BBQ Grail 6
Meat Burner 4
BigButzBBQ 4
Alan in Ga 4
bigabyte 3

I have the worst chance of all.

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #145
fingerlickin'

Well boys, thank you for the quick TD history lesson. I can honestly say I don't think you need to be a professional photographer like CD, or be super "creative" like gore to win a throwdown. Looking back at the throwdowns i've voted on l, I do take things like difficulty, description and originality into account. It's not just about who's picture looks the best although it does naturally factor in. I think maybe i'm just hypersensitive about it since the pics I entered into my first throwdown looked so awful once they were put up next to all of yours. The fact that 3 people voted for my dish speaks to the fact that not everyone factors in the quality of the photo. Thanks again for all the info. In a strange way this conversation has been encouraging. I can't wait to do another throwdown.

sent from my android device using tapatalk

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #146
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Well all those numbers prove one thing and that is Gore is the undisputed King of double entries.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #147
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I haven't loaded the voting results for any Throwdowns since the "Fast Food" Throwdown, but here is the info up to that point.

These are Throwdown winners, the number of Throwdowns they have entered, and the total number of entries they have posted (some Throwdowns allowed multiple entries).

The first number is the number of Throwdowns they have entered. The second number is the total number of individual dishes they have posted as entries.

Al Czervik 7 9
Alan in Ga 24 25
Bacon 14 14
BBQ Grail 16 16
bigabyte 32 43
BigButzBBQ 26 27
bluetang 38 38
BobBrisket 26 27
Bowhnter 9 9
Brewmaster 6 6
Brimhack 3 3
BurntFinger Jason 7 7
Buster Dog BBQ 7 7
caseydog 19 21
colonel00 11 14
Cracklin Jeorge 9 9
deez20 3 4
deguerre 34 34
Desert Dweller 15 15
Diva Q 4 4
Divemaster 1 1
ecode 65 66
FattyMac 10 11
fweck 10 10
Goose 5 5
Gore 83 98
Grillinski 2 2
Grillman 13 13
Groundhog66 6 7
h00kemh0rns 3 3
High Q 37 40
JD McGee 19 19
Jeff in KC 2 2
JiveTurkey 1 1
Jonny Rotisserie 15 15
landarc 19 19
MadCityJim 9 9
MayDay 5 5
Meat Burner 24 24
Moose 28 28
N8man 25 27
Nature Boy 4 4
Oldyote 17 18
Phrasty 4 4
Plowboy 7 8
Que-Dawg 12 14
R2Egg2Q 9 10
Redhot 27 27
Rick's Tropical Delight 44 51
River City Smokehouse 9 13
rolf 3 3
Ron L 35 36
SaucyWench 2 2
Shiz-Nit 15 16
silverfinger 2 2
Skidder 4 4
SmokeJumper 9 9
SmokinAussie 44 44
The BBQ QB 10 10
The Pickled Pig 8 8
thirdeye 47 49
Will work for bbq 13 14
zydecopaws 14 14

If we take those and compare the the number of wins (filtered to remove Throwdowns since the Fast Food Throwdown to compare apples to apples), then we can get the percentage odds of that person winning based on their number of wins and the number of Throwdowns they entered. I sorted the results from best chance to lowest. Looks like the regulars have the worst chance of winning.

JiveTurkey 100
Divemaster 100
Grillinski 100
R2Egg2Q 56
Nature Boy 50
Jeff in KC 50
SaucyWench 50
River City Smokehouse 44
deez20 33
h00kemh0rns 33
rolf 33
SmokeJumper 33
Brewmaster 33
Brimhack 33
BobBrisket 31
BurntFinger Jason 29
Al Czervik 29
Shiz-Nit 27
Diva Q 25
The Pickled Pig 25
Skidder 25
Phrasty 25
Will work for bbq 23
MadCityJim 22
ecode 22
Cracklin Jeorge 22
thirdeye 21
MayDay 20
Goose 20
Redhot 19
Groundhog66 17
Que-Dawg 17
Gore 14
Buster Dog BBQ 14
Plowboy 14
High Q 14
Ron L 14
Moose 14
bluetang 13
Jonny Rotisserie 13
Bowhnter 11
SmokinAussie 11
Rick's Tropical Delight 11
JD McGee 11
caseydog 11
landarc 11
FattyMac 10
fweck 10
The BBQ QB 10
deguerre 9
colonel00 9
Grillman 8
N8man 8
Desert Dweller 7
zydecopaws 7
Bacon 7
Oldyote 6
BBQ Grail 6
Meat Burner 4
BigButzBBQ 4
Alan in Ga 4
bigabyte 3

I have the worst chance of all.
Excellent analysis Chris! Thanks so much.

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Merry Christmas... Chitter was full!
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #148
bigabyte

Apparently the data contradicts what I said above.

From looking at the data, I would say that new folks, and non-regulars have a much better chance of winning than a regular, and that any reputation for photography skill does nothing to improve your chances of winning, and in fact might even make it harder to win.

Pretty interesting.

Duh.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #149
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

OK, your numbers are quite a bit lower than my tally. I think you might not be counting DQs perhaps? I counted that I'd passed 100 a few months ago. Anyway, I would tend to agree with you about regulars having a harder time. I believe part of this is when someone new shows up, everything looks really new and exciting. Then after we see them a few times we get a bit bored again. And I also have observed some REALLY outstanding entries by some regulars (for example, by RTD) that I felt were by far better than anything else, but still didn't win. It can depend on what is said, what else was submitted, the conversations in the threads, the direction the wind is blowing, and I think especially by the initial voters. But no, I really don't have a good explanation.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #150
bigabyte

Maybe CD should go all out on his next entry, and put his best shot forth.

Duh.

Tags
Farkin' Idiots, Gator Country, Got a Black Magic Gator, Jumped the Alligator Parts, N8 still has nice balls, Not A Meatball Throwdown, Special Farkin Rules, Street Alligators are Tough, Street Draggin Gator Balls