The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Erle
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First product from new WSM - Turkey of course

My thanks to PatioDaddy for his superb turkey brine and instructions.

New WSM 18.5 arrived yesterday. I originally intended to follow Harry Soo's seasoning instructions and smoke the bird on my kettle as I have always done. But the WSM was holding rock solid at 310... I started the initial burn at 8 AM with a full load of Kingsford and assumed it would last for 4 to 5 hours. Well it was time to put the bird on and I couldn't resist the temptation to put it on the top rack - so I did.

I tossed in a couple of chunks of Apple and one of cherry on for some character closed the lid and let her go. 3.5 hours later the thickest part of the thigh was at 165, so I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 1.5 hours. It came out incredibly well. A tender, juicy and delicious bird by the family's view. We prepared a typical bird in case my first effort did not go well. Well the leftovers tell the tale: none of the typical bird was touched. Everyone went for the smoked turkey. Lesson taken.

Just out of curiosity I let the WSM keep going to see what the finishing trajectory would look like. It's still going strong at 256F as the Cowboys are kicking off. Started with a full ring load. Very impressed with this WSM that wil only get better as it's seasoning progresses.

Happy thanksgiving to all the brethren and their families!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.8 KB, 95 views)

WSM 18.5, Broilmaster D3 natural gas (in-ground), Weber OTG (upgraded silver), Stoker ATM, Maverick ET-733 & 732 thermometers and Red Thermapen
Erle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Well you are doing better than the Cowboys. Great looking bird.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Very nice!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Super Fast and Accurate Blue Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Nice looking bird, but someone left a baseball inside of it

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's a beautiful bird

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Toast
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

You could use a BBQ log till you get used to your WSM. Outdoor ambient temp and wind being big factors. Even direct sunlight.

Looks like you Nailed it! Great looking Bird! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Family.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen
The Fun Never Stops at the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
2013 Throwdown Grand Master. 1/2 of Team Paradise.
Toast is online now   Reply With Quote