The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
carlyle
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question KCBS - looking at allowing gas/ LP

At the rules meeting at San Diego the issue of allowing gas and or LP grills

came up again. The rules committee will be looking into this possibility.

Of course there was immediate reaction on both sides of the issue.

The logic of proponents of this change pointed to the abundance of grills in

most of the homes in the country. And that allowing them in KCBS would or

could broaden the interest and participation in KCBS.

What was said was that KCBS needed input from the membership on this

hot button issue.

I could not think of a better place to get the word out and begin the

discussion than right here.

I am not advocating one way or the other.

It seems to me that this represents a big change in philosophy and

direction for KCBS. And it seems the motivation is purely money.

If you have an opinion one way or the other, you need to have your voice

heard. There was a very small audience at this meeting and the discussion

needs to involve everyone who wishes to be heard.

So -- what do you think?

Unread 01-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

A stick of wood doesn't explode at 3,000 degrees. Serious safety/liability issues would have to be considered. I have a Kingfisher with a propane insert I'd love to use but what about some nimrod who rigged a burner and tank to his homemade barrel?

Jambo J5 "The Dream Maker"
R&O Trailer Pit
Gateway "Insane" Can
3x FEC100's
Cookshack Charbroiler
Lagre Big Green Egg
djqualls is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Sledneck
Time Out

I'm all for it.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Munchee
Got Wood.

Default I am all for it

If someone with a $100 gas grill from Walmart or a $30,000 dollar Southern Pride wants to compete I don't see where heat source should be an issue. It would bring in more interest from the public seeing a pro cook win on the same backyard gas grill that they use. And for people selling products to the hobbiest market it would make it simple to do user friendly recipes. Lite grill and .......
Munchee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Smokin' Hicks
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 2

this is a joke.....one main reason could be said as the grills in the backyard are mostly propane and that's where they belong IN THE BACKYARD....i would consider this one of the arts of the "professional" cook vs. "backyard" cook.....but hell they let pellet poopers in so might as well, not to much difference i guess

Smokin' Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Smokin' Hicks

and i couldn't agree more about the dumb ass who makes a homemade propane smoker and has this 80 lbs propane tank jerry rigged to it with his idea of a "big grand finale" when hes done cooking....i'll pass

Unread 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

People who feel the need to insult others loose all, and I mean 100%, of their credibility with me.

I am happy to cook against any cooker with any heat source anytime.

May the best product win.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Bring it on, I'm all for the change

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Speaking from a safety standpoint, 99% of all cookers competing in NCPC whole hog competitions are cooking with propane today. There are some safety rules and regulations that must be followed and there is usually a cooker inspection. I have yet to see an accident. In fact, some of the competitions prohibit wood due to safety reasons. Go figure! I don't think safety would be an issue with proper rules.

As far as the other reasons, I think the end product will stand on it's own. I don't really think a propane unit can be competitive in a KCBS event but if people want to give it a shot, I say bring it on. I cook in NCPC events with gas (and win my fair share) but would never try that in a KCBS event. And when I want some really good Q, I fire up my smoker.

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Smokin' Hicks

not trying to insult anyone at all BUT, if someone rigs together some contraption that is propane fired and its dangerous to the people around them then i can't think of a better name than dumb ass

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Smokin' Hicks

is having wood as the primary heat source in KCBS comp.'s kind of some of the integrity of the comp.? is controlling your cooker and feeding it the right amount of fuel some of the skill in BBQ? or is it strictly, 100% about the rubs, sauces, and cooking methods?
i was always under the impression that this was a part of the art of BBQ... building, controlling, and maintaining your fire....maybe i was wrong

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Hicks View Post
is having wood as the primary heat source in KCBS comp.'s kind of some of the integrity of the comp.? is controlling your cooker and feeding it the right amount of fuel some of the skill in BBQ? or is it strictly, 100% about the rubs, sauces, and cooking methods?
i was always under the impression that this was a part of the art of BBQ... building, controlling, and maintaining your fire....maybe i was wrong
you may be right from a personal perspective but if you go to the KCBS website and read the About Us, Mission Statement and History page, no where does it talk about strictly wood cookery and what that encompasses. It only does this from a competition rules perspective...

Let's face it, someone with an entrepreneurial mindset and some $ could tap into the much larger market of propane cooks and replicate what KCBS has built... people will go to where the trends are and follow the $$.

Better to figure out a way to make it work and be inclusive (like the separate divisions), rather than go the way of the dinosaurs.

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Smokin' Hicks

now that is a good idea, separate divisions and maybe a championship type of event between the two divisions....there is always debate on which is better or worse wood or propane so why not take advantage of the debate.....

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
rawtalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
Speaking from a safety standpoint, 99% of all cookers competing in NCPC whole hog competitions are cooking with propane today. There are some safety rules and regulations that must be followed and there is usually a cooker inspection. I have yet to see an accident. In fact, some of the competitions prohibit wood due to safety reasons. Go figure! I don't think safety would be an issue with proper rules.

As far as the other reasons, I think the end product will stand on it's own. I don't really think a propane unit can be competitive in a KCBS event but if people want to give it a shot, I say bring it on. I cook in NCPC events with gas (and win my fair share) but would never try that in a KCBS event. And when I want some really good Q, I fire up my smoker.
I cooked A NCPC event in Monroe NC a couple of years ago. 17 teams, me and 1 other guy using wood. He came in DAL and I came in next to DAL...lol. Then the Monroe comp went to a KCBS type format but allowed both wood and gas. My fishishes improved greatly

I've cooked several SCBA events and non sanctioned events that allow both (or any) type of fuels and the wood cookers seem to do the best. The NCPC event judging criteria is stacked against the offset cookers but that's their deal. I say let 'em all in!

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS should allow crock pots and ovens for all I care.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote