ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #121
RFehr
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmur View Post
You are farther ahead of me...I cannot even get it connected to a computer or network..but if I could, I would use remote access such as team viewer that I could access computer on net and controll the other computer, thus being able to controll the controller...but I am not am close to be able to view it on a computer. I have a version 3, and not sure if I want version 4, if i am going to be plagued by the same old story. If I dealt with a U.S. company, I could at least call for some help!! I agree that units works fine...but the wifi capabilities are questionable!!!
Since you can access the wireless settings page on your local network, and the GOLDON-LION adhoc network no longer is visible, then you have successfully configured the device on your local network. Unfortunately, browser compatibility is poor - which I suspect is your issue.

For me, iPhone/iPod/iPad loads the controller page fine on my v2 controller as does IE 6. I'm told that Chrome works with v3 - but I have no experience personally.

If you have access to an iOS device, that's the easiest route. Otherwise, there are old versions of IE available to download.

Not perfect I know - I just wish I had a v3 controller that actually had CONTROL. iPhone access is what I would be primarily doing anyway - I really don't care about access from a computer.

Once you confirm that you can view the controller's web interface on your LAN, I'm happy to help with your router/firewall settings to get it on the internet.

Same offer to you as DaveW - first person that does not want their working v3 controller, PM me and I'm happy to take it off your hands.
RFehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #122
cinmur
Knows what a fatty is.

I am thinking about changing the operating system of laptop to xp, then go to IE 6 or 7 and see what happens...don't think I can ran ie 7 on windows7.
Thanks
cinmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #123
RFehr
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmur View Post
I am thinking about changing the operating system of laptop to xp, then go to IE 6 or 7 and see what happens...don't think I can ran ie 7 on windows7.
Thanks
Well, i'm not sure if you can install IE6 along side IE9 in Win7 - but it might be worth a try. You can get IE6 here.

Also, give Chrome a try. I've been told the v3 controller works fine with Chrome. On v2, Chrome will load the static html but no data (see pic below).

I always keep a VM of all sorts of old OS's around. You might want to try finding a VM of something like TinyXP or any old XP VM - would be much faster than re-installing XP from scratch.

In reality, the product really needs to have it's web interface fixed such that it's compatible with all current browsers - no question about it. But if I had a CONTROLABLE v3 product that worked with iOS Safari, I'd be a happy camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-03-27 at 11.55.55 AM.jpg (15.1 KB, 185 views)
RFehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #124
cinmur
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for your help...I installed chrome and did the following:
..disconnected Internet router
..using laptop with wifi
...changed ip on laptop to 192.168.1.16...gateway of 192.168.1.15
...golden lion is visible
...192.168.1.15:1080...goes to golden lion network settings
...192.168.1.15....times out...no response
..can ping the lion with no loss
..firewall off on laptop
...question is it the browser or is the controller?
....going to try older IE....don't have a lot of faith that will work either.
Thanks again for help
cinmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #125
DaveW
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFehr View Post
If you have a version 2 controller (as I do) then I agree completely - it is advertised as having CONTROL via WiFi, and it does not. No one could argue.

Not having control of history, I think WPS is doing what he should - refund the difference in cost between the Lion (WiFi model) and Wolf (non-WiFi model). This is reasonable - as the PID controller works quite well 'stand-alone'. If, like me, you purchased the unit SOLELY for remote control ability, WPS is offering to replace the unit when v4 is available. I think it would be more appropriate if WPS replaced the unit at zero cost (i.e. he pays return shipping) - but I do understand that this is more of a hobby for WPS than a business - and frankly, I knew the risks going in. The cost of the controller was low enough for me to assume some of the risk. Not perfect, but so far I'm not complaining.

If you can change temperature/time settings via local WiFi, then you certainly have a v3 controller. If you've followed my instructions above and have the controller in infrastructure mode on your home WiFi network, then the product is working perfectly and exactly as it should. Providing access to the controller from the internet is firewall/security issue that has little to do with the controller itself. What you're REALLY rightfully complaining about is the complete absence of any documentation or manual in how to do... well... ANYTHING with the controller. This is a serious problem that a couple people here have offered to help with - that is, if I had a current model controller.

However, YOUR controller is working exactly as it should - it is simply a firewall/router configuration matter. Even with a real users manual, instructions to properly configure your router would be very general. It would be next to impossible to provide a step-by-step guide for every possible home firewall.

Yes. It took me perhaps an hour to get my controller set up on my home WiFi network and set up access from the internet - should have taken 15 minutes if I had some documentation. I've posted a link above to my v2 controller "live" on the internet for people to look at. I've had almost 200 hits so far - so I know people are looking at it. It's online 24/7 - have a look for yourself if you wish.

One of the reasons that I can simply leave it up "live" to the internet is because it's a v2 controller and has no CONTROL - hence I don't have to worry about people screwing with my settings. Great feature ;-)

I have my own greedy interests at heart - I want a low cost PID controller that I can monitor and control over the internet. WPS's Lion product is the closest thing I've found yet. It's 90% exactly what I want - and I need WPS to continue for the last 10%.

So... two offers for you:

• if you tell me the make/model of your home router/firewall, and the IP address of your Lion, I'll give you exact instructions on how to get it on the internet.
  • if you're fed up - I get it. I'll buy your controller from you FOB your door. Send me a PM, I'll give you my address and paypal you what you paid plus shipping to me in the great white north (btw, this is not an open offer to everyone - I just happen to need a working v3 controller and WPS does not have a timeframe for availability of v4).
I appreciate the offer but please see my response below. Irrelevent of what is being assumed SHOULD work with the V3, no-one has done it yet. YOU do not have a unit that can be controlled over the internet and you are assuming that the next version will be, and probably rightly so, but to claim it will be sight unseen is just plain wrong.

Here's what I replied to Mr. Wang on the Aussie BBQ forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Mr Wang, I am starting to believe you are totally missing my point so I will make it as simple as I can:
NO-ONE has your product set up to be CONTROLLED over the Internet.
I'm getting sick of making this point. Please prove me wrong.
How about I quote myself and see if you undertand Mr. Wang.
Im not saying that the unit CANNOT be controlled over the internet, I am saying that I can't get it to work and that as far as I can tell, and am still waiting to be proved wrong, NO-ONE has any of your units being controlled in any way over the internet.
You keep saying it can be controlled over the internet, yet there is no proof at all - A viewable website means nothing.
It is highly likely that I am doing something wrong, but I seriously should not need to have invested the time I have to get it going.
At the end of the day, I have modified the fan to fit my Kamado, it controls the temperature as described,I can control it via local WiFi, with the POSSIBILITY of it being controlled via the internet, if I can work it all out and spend enough time doing it. I'll keep it thanks.

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #126
landshark530
Got Wood.

Maybe it should be advertised as controllable via your intranet, and not the internet. But if you can control it via your computer, then you could use one of the many remote desktop apps or software to control your computer via the "internet", thereby controlling your bbq controller, via the "internet".

I'm not sure if the was the original meaning in the beginning, or not. Had AL Gore been thinking about backyard bbq smoking ethusiests when he created the internet in his basement we wouldn't be having these issues.

I can't speak to the usefulness of the wifi model or remote access, as I have the basic model.

I CAN speak to its' continued success in my back yard.
I had an all day cook on Saturbay, brisket, pork butt, and country style ribs. This meant opening the smoker several times to spritz, foils, cover, etc etc.
Just as I use the manual operation and fan settings to initially start the smoker, I used the same operation to bring my smoker back up to temp after opening and closing the smoker.
Using this method I was able to bring my smoker back up to temp in about 5 minutes or less, and then put it back on auto once it reached temp. And if you run the fan on high, she really gets to temp in a hurry.
My only regret is not buying the wireless remote option. Other than that, mine has been outstanding.
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #127
ChrisH
Got Wood.

I emailed Mr Wang the other day to see about placing an order. Apparently the only WiFi version available for shipping is the Version 2, which displays data but cannot be controlled. The reported working V3 is unavailable and V4 which claims to have a data logging feature is approximately 4 weeks out, and also will be more expensive ($188 I believe for the controller alone, plus the fan, the flange etc).

I am personally more interested in the Wireless remote version, as it is very unlikely I will ever be smoking whilst at work etc. Unfortunately Mr Wang informed me that he will only sell the Tiger (wireless) in 100 piece lots. Is wondering if there was any interest in getting a group buy together. I'll probably take 2, possibly 3 if the price is right.

Just thought I'd provide an update for those interested.

Chris
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #128
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Wireless Remote Model Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
I emailed Mr Wang the other day to see about placing an order. Apparently the only WiFi version available for shipping is the Version 2, which displays data but cannot be controlled. The reported working V3 is unavailable and V4 which claims to have a data logging feature is approximately 4 weeks out, and also will be more expensive ($188 I believe for the controller alone, plus the fan, the flange etc).

I am personally more interested in the Wireless remote version, as it is very unlikely I will ever be smoking whilst at work etc. Unfortunately Mr Wang informed me that he will only sell the Tiger (wireless) in 100 piece lots. Is wondering if there was any interest in getting a group buy together. I'll probably take 2, possibly 3 if the price is right.

Chris
Main problem is plastic case of display set.
Usually the manufacturers accept an order at least 1000 pieces.
One manufacturer agrees to make 100 pieces for me, but at double price.
So minimum order of Tiger is 100 pieces.
Price of 100 pieces of Tiger is US$118
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #129
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Also you can use LION Version1, or 2 as TIGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post

Chris
4 pieces of LION Version 1 and 2 are available.
You can use both as wireless remote control as TIGER, but you need to use your iPhone, iPad, Computer as display set.
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #130
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I would still like a working version 4 logic board shipped out as soon as one is availble please. I think this is the least you could do for an early adopter. I can swap the logic board over myself. If you want the version 2 board back, I have no problem with that. I paid 168 bucks for this thing plus shipping and would like it to function as advertised is all. Thanks.
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #131
ChrisH
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
4 pieces of LION Version 1 and 2 are available.
You can use both as wireless remote control as TIGER, but you need to use your iPhone, iPad, Computer as display set.
As I understand it, Lion V1 does not work at all, and V2 only displays data, but cannot control the unit. Correct?
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #132
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

So wang, how about shipping a couple V4 logic boards when they are ready in May to the US and closing out the current issues for your Version 1.0/ 2.0/3.0 (beta/early adopter) customers?

Currently my V2.0 board is stuck in infrastructure mode with no way to seem to get it to reset. The reset function seems to clear the NVRAM settings on the pid controller section for the other variables but the network side stays firmly stuck in infrastructure mode and not visable or are we able to connect. Basically at this point its a non remote based pid controller for $168.00 plus $30 bucks shipping.

Not what I ordered or was described I am sure most will agree. I was not worried about controlling it over the network but I did want to be able to monitor it while at competitions.

ChrisH - you are correct. Version 1 is basically non functional with respect to wireless and Version 2.0 only displays data and works with a very small subset of available browsers and there is no way to control the unit via the wireless side.

Not sure about it if you got a Tiger unit with the remote included. One customer seems to have his working in that mode. The rest of us who are early adopters of the Lion and wanted the wireless functionality believed what we saw on his website and screen shots. unfortunately we have had limited success in getting them to work with the various browsers and networks.

If this cannot be resolved then I would propose a restriction of advertising and selling additional units here until WPS is able to offer an acceptable solution to his existing customers. It's the right thing to do. Can I get a MODs point of view here on all this?
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #133
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

please wait till ready of LION version #4.
Considering shipping cost, I prefer to refund buyers of #1 an #2 versions of 168-99=US$69.
Then you just use the function of WOLF.
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #134
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post

If this cannot be resolved then I would propose a restriction of advertising and selling additional units here until WPS is able to offer an acceptable solution to his existing customers. It's the right thing to do. Can I get a MODs point of view here on all this?
Moderator Note : The business dealings are between buyer & seller.. We provide a forum to promote the product which in turn supports the forum costs... but in no way, is it an endorsement of the seller's product or business practice. The product/service must stand on it's own merits. The venture forum is only moderated on content to the point that a buyer can voice their concerns to the seller as long as it meets all general established forum rules.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=117899

Unread 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #135
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Moderator Note : The business dealings are between buyer & seller.. We provide a forum to promote the product which in turn supports the forum costs... but in no way, is it an endorsement of the seller's product or business practice. The product/service must stand on it's own merits. The venture forum is only moderated on content to the point that a buyer can voice their concerns to the seller as long as it meets all general established forum rules.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=117899

Admin Note:
Vinny nailed it.. and I will add, as stated previously, these forums are in no way endorsments and are here for members and vendors to discuss products openly. Theres no reason for us to restrict or "sanction" anyone, when the threads and posts will allow members to make their OWN informed decisions.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote