The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #151
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

So how we are coming along with the progress on the version 4 logic boards? Still planning on sending a group shipment to the US? I am more than happy to help you out by distributing them to whomever should receive one if you want. Just need to be covered for the costs. I really want this temp unit to work out for you. My unit had locked up a couple times and had to be rebooted after running for about 4-5 hours at time. Symptoms are that the webserver stops responding to my iphone's safari client and then the wireless network ssid disappears from the available network list. Then if I leave the unit running it stops recording temps and the alarm starts going off. If I turn it off for 45 seconds and reboot then it works as before and I can get to the unit using the safari browser on the phone. No luck at all with chrome or windows explorer under windows 7 or windows XP.

Hope to see a verison 4.0 logic board with improved wireless/web server in the near future from you. Bought this to use with comps which start in about 25 days from now so the wireless/webserver functionality is very important to us.
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #152
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

You need a complete Version 4, not just change board.
We are still busy on the development. Please give me enough time to guarantee reliability
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #153
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Has anyone tried a high heat cook yet? I am cooking a brisket today and it is struggling. I programmed to pit sets. The first cooked at 225 for 60 minutes just fine. Then it was programmed to bump to 325 for the rest of the cook. When it did the switch to the second set it just never started heating up and eventually shut off. I didn't catch it until the UDS was at 190*. So, I turned it onto Manual and let it crank away until the temp was over 300. Again, back to Auto and it just doesn't seem to know how to keep the higher pit temps up. I am now 10 minutes into the set and the pit temp is 277. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this. It appears that it does not want to run the fan full time but I think that is what is needed to keep the temps up without opening another intake.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #154
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

This is what happened to me, I couldn't get it to maintain 300 in my drum, I thought I had it working but I checked it again and it was at 268.

What are your settings for the 325 set specifically ? I was going to mess with it tomorrow just to see if I could get it working. If you give me each setting I will try it out.
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #155
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default I maintain well above 400F in my offset

P,I,D, need to be tuned according to each specific application.
It is a trial and error process
Also you may need to set maximum output of 100%.
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #156
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

So if I wanted to just use stage one only, what would be each setting be if I wanted my pit temp to be 300 degrees for 10 hours?
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #157
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default What ever stage 1 or 2, PID shall be same for a specific smoker

You need to find the PID for your very own smoker.
Set I=0,D=0.
Increase P from 1,5,10, 15,20 till temperature gets out of control.
Then decrease the P value step by step till the temperature get stable again.
Then it is the right value of P.
Fix the value of P, and try I,
and fix P.I, and try D.
Make sure maximum output setting is 100% if you can not reach higher temperature.
I am going to shoot a video in my mini vertical smoker,single wall.
It will be ready in 5 hours. But Youtube is blocked in China.
I can send Video to someone's mail box, and hope he can upload to youtube
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #158
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

OK I have taken a few videos.
I set pit temperature at 400F.
You can find that the fan is in full running before 394F of pit temperature, and it will run much slower when pit temperature reaches to 398F.
If you have any interest in these videos, please ask me.
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #159
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

The fan is controlled by pit temperature and meat temperature.
If you set pit temperature at 300F and meat temperature at 200F.
When pit temperature reaches to 250F, and meat temperature reaches to 200F, then the fan will STOP running and pit temperature can never rise to 300F.
If you want higher pit temperature, you need to set meat temperature higher accordingly, or simply put meat probe out of pit.
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #160
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat_Rate View Post
This is what happened to me, I couldn't get it to maintain 300 in my drum, I thought I had it working but I checked it again and it was at 268.

What are your settings for the 325 set specifically ? I was going to mess with it tomorrow just to see if I could get it working. If you give me each setting I will try it out.
Sorry, I forgot to report back. Essentially I had to make several switches from Auto to Manual to keep boosting the temps. Eventually the controller "learned" what it needed to do and finally started cruising along. I will look at what WPS mentioned about tuning the PID a bit but I am not completely clear on what needs to be done. Right now my biggest concern is the way it seems to give up and just stop trying.
WWWWFBBQADD

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #161
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
The fan is controlled by pit temperature and meat temperature.
If you set pit temperature at 300F and meat temperature at 200F.
When pit temperature reaches to 250F, and meat temperature reaches to 200F, then the fan will STOP running and pit temperature can never rise to 300F.
If you want higher pit temperature, you need to set meat temperature higher accordingly, or simply put meat probe out of pit.
I have never used the meat temperature setting so it is always set to 0. This was simply a matter of the controller trying to raise the temp with short bursts from the fan but it never ran long enough in Auto mode to get the temps up. Even using Manual mode to get the temp up, going back to Auto for a couple of times failed until it eventually learned.
WWWWFBBQADD

Unread 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #162
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Set Meat temperature at 300F, it will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I have never used the meat temperature setting so it is always set to 0. This was simply a matter of the controller trying to raise the temp with short bursts from the fan but it never ran long enough in Auto mode to get the temps up. Even using Manual mode to get the temp up, going back to Auto for a couple of times failed until it eventually learned.
Please keep in mind my controller is MEAT probe dominated.
The meat temperature controls the fan's speed.
You set meat temperature at 0. When meat reaches to 0F, the fan will STOP running.
It runs occasionally is nothing but feature of P.I.D, a learning process.
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #163
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
You need a complete Version 4, not just change board.
We are still busy on the development. Please give me enough time to guarantee reliability
WPS. How are we coming? We are about 23 days away from our comp and I could really use the upgrade and a unit that does not lock up every 4-6 hours. Help a brethren out! We are counting on you. Thanks!
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #164
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Programming is much more complex. I am busy on it. testing testing and testing .Hope ready in 10 days
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #165
sparky5693
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Please consider bringing back tiger. Tiger is exactly what i've been looking for... new, used, doesn't matter as long as it works.
sparky5693 is offline   Reply With Quote