The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
grillnputt
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ? About Boston Butt

I'm cooking my 1st butt today...how exciting! Starting at 6:00am. I bought it at the butcher by myy house. My ? is, I noticed a small bone at the end and a little bigger bone on the side. Isn't it supposed to be boneless? Just making sure I didn't get a picnic or half picnic. Ron
grillnputt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4
Default RE: ? About Boston Butt

Butts come bone in or boneless, but its is one big bone thru the center. Are sure you got a butt and not a loin cut of some type of crown roast.. or your not looking at the 2 opposite ends of the same bone?? I dont know why you would have 2 small bones.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Default RE: ? About Boston Butt

On the butts that I have had lately, bone was visible from 2 sides and it is just 1 bone. Sometimes they leave a little bit of the ball joint.

Unread 07-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Re: RE: ? About Boston Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204
On the butts that I have had lately, bone was visible from 2 sides and it is just 1 bone. Sometimes they leave a little bit of the ball joint.
That sounds more like a picnic shoulder

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote