The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Issues with Maverick thermometer 732

After the first smoke, I cleaned the probes with a wet cloth and rinsed probe only, with water (few seconds). I did not sumerge the probe in water.
I contacted Maverick, and they told me that the probe could not be in any moisture or water at all. This would short circuit the unit. They then shared that I should test the unit in boiling water. Which I beleive goes against what they told me not to do.

Has anyone else had issues with this product, what do you advise to do?
Why is this product so delicate?
chefdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

If the probe is exposed to water at the point where the wire meets the probe then you've toasted it. When you test in boiling water you're probably not submerging the whole probe, just the tip I'm sure. I clean mine with a scotch brite sponge and rinse with a wet paper towell, carefully.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

So, the moisture in the smoker should not mess it up? According to Maverick the probe should never touch water or it could short out. The probe is the only thing that touched the water

Unread 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What readings, if any, do you get now? What Guerry is saying and what Maverick should have explained is excessive moisture where the wire enters the probe can cause the issue. When they told you to test it in boiling water you just place the tip in the boiling water. I have never had issues with my probes. Then again, at most I just wipe off the meat probe while it is still warm. I have never tried to clean it beyond that.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

To the best of my understanding, water at the wire to probe junction will damage all of the probes from all makers.
I went through a boat load of Taylor probes and then bought the Maverick ET 732.
Then, I slid Heat Shrink tubing about 2" long onto the probes to protect that joint.

Problem solved for me.

Just a thought.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Brian in Maine
is One Chatty Farker

If you get it wet you can put it in a 200* oven for a while, and it will dry it out. Don't ask me how I know.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
f308gt4
On the road to being a farker

I use baby wipes to clean the probe. Works well. Avoid the wire/probe junction. Haven't had an issue yet.

May have to try the shrink wrap solution posted above.
f308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
j20832
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Maine View Post
If you get it wet you can put it in a 200* oven for a while, and it will dry it out. Don't ask me how I know.
+1 been there, done that, it worked!

Unread 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
To the best of my understanding, water at the wire to probe junction will damage all of the probes from all makers.
I went through a boat load of Taylor probes and then bought the Maverick ET 732.
Then, I slid Heat Shrink tubing about 2" long onto the probes to protect that joint.

Problem solved for me.

Just a thought.

TIM
I'm such a DA...why didn't I think of this myself?.....I love being Brethren!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the feedback. The information from Maverick did not make any sense. But i wanted to share what they had to say and get the brethren feedback. I trust your advice and follow the suggestions.
Thanks again!

Unread 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Jim from Texas
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Maine View Post
Thank you, Brian! You saved me a lot of frustration and about $30 for replacements.

I wanted to see how true mine read, so I immersed them in water and brought it to a boil - duh! Needless to say, they went wacky! So I searched Google, and found you guys and your solution. I tried about 10 minutes at 200 twice, but needed more. So I cranked the toaster oven up to 225 for an hour, and they work great now. Did six hams for Easter, and they came out super.

AFTER I looked into this, I searched Maverick's instructions. On the fourth and final page of their lengthy instructions is where they put a "CAUTION" section. Was don't submerge the probes there? NO! It was as an add-on sentence in the next section under "Cleaning". Could be written MUCH better. Most instructions have all warnings first.

Thanks again!
Jim from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
FrozenTundra
Got Wood.

Submerging in hot oil such as a deep fryer works well to bring them back to life too.
FrozenTundra is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I see there is a an e-bay seller that has the Maverick ET-732 for $46. Anyone bought from this guy? Good price, just wondering why he is so much cheaper than everyone else? Here is a link......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251008956481...9#ht_500wt_689

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Says he has 221 of these units in stock at that price.