The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-28-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New Rib King

The crown has been passed and we have a new rib king at Hess Lake Farms, 12 yr. old Garret Effa! We usually have an adult and kids division but all the kids wanted to compete against their parents and with me being the host and judge I said why not. After tasting 21 entries with 3 other judges we had 5 entries that stood out and one clear winner. It was a blind judging and everyone was shocked espescially Garret when it was found he was the winner. Then we had another 12 year old, Nick Adams, tied for 2nd. place! The brisket, butts, and fatties I served as appetizers were a big hit but next year we are going to hold it in October when the temps will be below 100*! At one point Saturday it was 104* in the shade!!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: New Rib King

So, the "next" generation has been heard from! Great. :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

How cool, the kids must be lurking here!!

BTW-Neil, glad to see the avatar is still here!!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I see nothing wrong with letting the kids compete with the adults. Too many times when you have kids competing, the adults are involved anyway, sometimes to an extreme extent.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
jt
Babbling Farker

That's great. Good to see the kids stepping up and showing the adults how it's done! :D

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

That's too cool! I'm sure some of the adults don't feel that way, however!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
YLBILL
Knows what a fatty is.

Neil hang in there. Sure it hurts that you lost the crown and it'll be a year before you can try and get it back, and that some twelve year old kicked your butt and now you question your ability to Q, and you sat in 104 degree temp. and........OH never mind. Way to go Garrett!

NB,Weber Kettle,Viking Gas Grill,Klose BYC
It is what it is!
YLBILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Congrats to the new rib king. Bro don't sweat it (even in 104 degree heat) the crown will come back to its rightful spot next year when you will be allowed to compete. I geuss the kid had to cgrab a cold one from the soda cooler?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote