The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sharing Proprietary Info

Hi,

With competition classes and the recent spate of competition books, what do you think is fair and reasonable information to share with your teammates?

If you're going to be using tips and recipes from a book by Superstar Team X, should everyone on your team buy that book?

Do you have any qualms about sharing everything that you learned at a class with the rest of your team?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
scm1226
Take a breath!

If they are your team then I think its all open. It is a TEAM. If my either my father or I went to a cooking class I feel that he who tell me everything that he learned and vice versa. But again we are not a huge award winning team, we walk but not consistently .
scm1226 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Let's answer in an example..

If the legendary Sledneck was my teammate, and he took a class or got a free copy of a Mixon book to "review" for his silly BBQ Illuminati blog that no one reads and we showed up at a contest and he covered his bottles, and hid his notes and wouldn't share, I'd tell him to go fark himself and figure out how to get by the rest of the contest on his own

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I share everything with my teammate...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Sylvie
Full Fledged Farker

Good question. It is a team and you are working for a common goal to win for the team. Info should be shared with teammates.
BWS Party G2
Two 18.5 inch WSMs, One 22.5 inch WSMs,
one 22.5 inch Blue One Touch Gold Kettle
Hot Pink Thermapen
20 ft custom BBQ trailer
Sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Books can be borrowed from the library for free so tell anybody. Class, well if you did everything exactly like in the class maybe not but if you took some techniques and modified them to your style, cooker,etc the sure tell everybody. I've taken 5 classes over the years and taken things from each. I invite people to cook with me and they see everything I do if they get there before noon friday, stay half sober and they get up early enough Saturday. I'm glad to help newer cooks out.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Let's answer in an example..

If the legendary Sledneck was my teammate, and he took a class or got a free copy of a Mixon book to "review" for his silly BBQ Illuminati blog that no one reads and we showed up at a contest and he covered his bottles, and hid his notes and wouldn't share, I'd tell him to go fark himself and figure out how to get by the rest of the contest on his own

If the shoe was on the other foot i would drop your chicken. oops i just remembered i already done that
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When you get right down to it, very little is truly proprietary information. Coveted techniques kept secret do not constitute proprietary, especially when most of those (if not all of them) have been published and taught by many books and classes LONG before Al Gore invented the internet.

Unread 01-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

there is no "i" in team.

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

As for books, I've only read Startin' the Fire by George w/ WATG? I recommended it to our old teammates, but hell if I was going to loan them the autographed copy.

Sharing class techniques with teammates becomes a slippier slope in my opinion. Yes, we've shared what we've learned in classes, but only with teammates. Did I feel slightly guilty about it? Yes.

As for sharing class info with non-teammates. Never.

Unread 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If you are a member of a true team, this question wouldn't even be asked.

I suppose if you work with a group of people who come together at cookoffs for financial or resource purposes you might feel differently. There are five members of our team, (four are cooks) and what we do is a group effort. Keeping secrets would dilute the strength of the team and negate the ability to back each other up when someone can't make it to a show.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

What do you consider a teamate? Some one who helps with the competition process, or some one who is only along because he has the RV or wants to chip in on and drink the beer? If it's the latter, I see no need to share information because they aren't involved. If it's the former, why wouldn't you share information? Isn't the point to do well as a team? Wouldn't it make the most sense to share information with other members of the team who compete so that you as a team do better? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

IMO, a teammate is someone who shares the blood sweat and tears. They load in and load out and are there to cook or assist throughout the entire competition.

The seagulls that show up to sample and sit on a Saturday aren't teammates and get no proprietary info.

Unread 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
If they are your team then I think its all open. It is a TEAM. If my either my father or I went to a cooking class I feel that he who tell me everything that he learned and vice versa. But again we are not a huge award winning team, we walk but not consistently .
Yeah, you walk....right to the jameson
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
crookidly that is
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->