The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Refrigerator Smoker

As you can tell from my other threads ive been planning building a wooden smoke box. I have come to the conclusion a SmokeDaddy would be the smoke generator of choice for this setup. However it just occured to me that i have a 2008 frigidaire 20.8 Cubic Foot upright deep freezer that siezed up in the garage.

I have seen some refrigerator builds in the past but they were with older units with tin walls. Im at work now so i cant check, but i believe my unit has a plastic interior. Not sure. Either way, i dont see why i couldnt use the unit as a cold smoker 80-140 degrees without any problems.

That is using the Smoke Daddy for the cold smoking and maybe putting an electric counter top burner in it to warm it up a little. Maybe install 2 small computer fans in it to circulate smoke and aid drying.

Hit me me with... what do you think?
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
toddrod
On the road to being a farker

You would be better off just ripping out all the plastic and replacing it with either thin alumium sheeting or line it with wood like you originally wanted to do. I would be careful doing anything with any kind of heat with that plastic still in there.

Unread 01-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

I wouldnt be doing any major modification to it, if i was to use it. I think your right on the heat and platic. i dont want any off vapors, chemicals, flavors from the plastic. Seems like a bad idea in retrospect. Figured pocking a hole in it for the smoke daddy and some kind of exhaust would at least give me some use out of it.

At least a wooden setup would be something i could be proud to wheel out in the driveway for my smokes. Neighbors and homeowners association might have a problem with a smoking frig in my front yard

Unread 01-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
stubshaft
Full Fledged Farker

You could always tell the neighbors that you are creating a prototype Q sauce that is made with Ghost peppers and something REALLY hot.

Unread 01-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
You could always tell the neighbors that you are creating a prototype Q sauce that is made with Ghost peppers and something REALLY hot.
Burns my ass to hear you say that. Last night i had a run in with Blairs Ultra Death sauce that was in the community fridge at work. About a tablespoon on a chicken sandwich. Finished the whole thing before i realized the inside of my mouth was peeling.

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Even a cold smoke will take up a plastic smell. Bummer.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffboyette View Post
As you can tell from my other threads ive been planning building a wooden smoke box. I have come to the conclusion a SmokeDaddy would be the smoke generator of choice for this setup. However it just occured to me that i have a 2008 frigidaire 20.8 Cubic Foot upright deep freezer that siezed up in the garage.

I have seen some refrigerator builds in the past but they were with older units with tin walls. Im at work now so i cant check, but i believe my unit has a plastic interior. Not sure. Either way, i dont see why i couldnt use the unit as a cold smoker 80-140 degrees without any problems.

That is using the Smoke Daddy for the cold smoking and maybe putting an electric counter top burner in it to warm it up a little. Maybe install 2 small computer fans in it to circulate smoke and aid drying.

Hit me me with... what do you think?
I have a friend who used an old refrigerator as a smoker for smoking fish. after 20 years as a smoker it was shot beyond repair.

He gutted another refrigerator and riveted 16 gauge aluminum and lined the interior with fireproof insulation and has used this for the past 3 years.

He has the unit on a block foundation about 24" off the ground and inside the block walls is where he builds his fire. In talks with him the unit does not go above 100, mor like 70 he says as he keeps the fire choked down to a smolder. I assume this would be a cold smoker set-up.