The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Smoke Ring
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default We've lost a member of the BBQ family

We received the sad news that our former competition BBQ teammate, Nancee Gell was killed in an accident in Rutland, Vermont on New Years Day. She was struck by a car while crossing the street after a day of skiing. I met Nancee, and her husband Greg, at a grilling contest in New Hampshire in 2000. They were curious spectators who came to see what it was all about. I was cooking alone and they volunteered to help. We got a 2nd place in chicken and sausage and they were hooked. They joined me as teammates for the next 4 years before starting their own team The Purple Turtle Catering Company. Nancee lived in Norwalk, Connecticut.

Many of you probably know Nancee or met her on the competition BBQ circuit. She and Greg mentored numerous other competition cooks and helped them learn the ropes and get started. She was a very sharing person and welcomed one and all into their site where she generously shared anything they wanted to know. Nancee and Greg competed in the Jack Daniel's Invitational in 2004 where they took first place in chicken. They won numerous other awards, including Grand Champion at the I Love BBQ Festival in Lake Placid, NY in 2007. Nancee was serious about BBQ but always made sure to have fun in the process. She was always the life of the party. Competition BBQ just won't be the same without Nancee.
This has placed a huge financial burden on the family. If you would like make a contribution, or just send condolences, you can mail them to:

Greg Hunter
6 Cliff Street
Norwalk, Conn. 06854

They will appreciate anything you can do to help. If you are in the Norwalk area and would like to attend services I will post the date, time and location as they become available.

http://www.purpleturtlecatering.com/

Garry
Smoke Ring is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

We're very sorry for you loss, Garry.

We've been discussing the loss here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=123357

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Smoke Ring
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Ron. I didn't see that thread. I guess I didn't look far enough back.

Garry
Smoke Ring is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
atvalaska
Knows what a fatty is.

prayers sent..........

Unread 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Rich and I are very saddened by this news. We met Nancee and Greg at the New London CT contest and they were so very nice. So very sorry to hear and we are saying prayers for you, Greg.

Rich and Bunny Tuttle