oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
Which brethren are running? I know Jorge is, but I can't find the thread about the others.
jeff, dave and steve
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just voted...good luck to all (that I voted for...)!
Flaming Red Jambo...coming soon!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess I remembered the names... they were the ones I voted for, mostly based on their answers to the questionnaire.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
big brother smoke

Voted proudly for Brethren after reading the details of the other candidates.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers and Grizzly Coolers

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Got 'er done! My votes were as follows:

George
Steve
Jeff
Dave

NO

YES

PLEASE - vote!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Booking It
Knows what a fatty is.

It only took 30 seconds to vote. Please make your voice heard!

Good luck to all of the candidates!
Booking It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

A very painless process. Let's hope more members vote than last time.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Both my wife and I just voted.

That means that at least 3 JUDGES have voted!!! (Dave too!)

Would be interesting to see the percentages of judges that voted and percentages of cooks that voted. Of course if you both cook and judge that throws things off.

Please everyone VOTE!
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, & Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
Just voted. I voted "no" on both questions -- I think that the membership is smart enough to decide whether board members should share a roof or whether they have spent enough time off the Board. Maybe I am giving the membership too much credit, but I think these are decisions we can make at the ballot box. This seems like it is aimed at a certain individual rather than addressing any real problem.

Erik
Agreed - +1
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
Just voted. I voted "no" on both questions -- I think that the membership is smart enough to decide whether board members should share a roof or whether they have spent enough time off the Board. Maybe I am giving the membership too much credit, but I think these are decisions we can make at the ballot box. This seems like it is aimed at a certain individual rather than addressing any real problem.

Erik
Agree completely. There's undoubtedly a story behind these two questions, but without being privy to those details I don't see how they can expect us to responsibly vote YES.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
Jeff_in_KC

These are not aimed at any one individual. That individual is leaving the board. If my wife and I both served on the board, I could say "Honey, I'll do all of the laundry for the next month AND cook all of the dinners if you'll vote the way I want you to on an upcoming issue." Seems almost ridiculous but who's to say it wouldn't effect certain issues? As for the three years off, it gives other members the opportunity to contribute with fresh ideas and energy. Everyone wants term limits in Congress - why not KCBS? Do we not have a very clear picture now of what can happen when people become attached to their board seat and have moss grow all over them?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #27
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I voted!!! This was the less stressful voting I will have to do between today and tomorrow. Gotta love Iowa at Caucus time.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
These are not aimed at any one individual. That individual is leaving the board. If my wife and I both served on the board, I could say "Honey, I'll do all of the laundry for the next month AND cook all of the dinners if you'll vote the way I want you to on an upcoming issue." Seems almost ridiculous but who's to say it wouldn't effect certain issues? As for the three years off, it gives other members the opportunity to contribute with fresh ideas and energy. Everyone wants term limits in Congress - why not KCBS? Do we not have a very clear picture now of what can happen when people become attached to their board seat and have moss grow all over them?
Jeff,

I'll take your position on this at face value. But I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest this ballot question isn't about Merl, considering this whole push to keep related parties off the Board started when Carol ran.

And your justification that this is necessary to prevent some sort of domestic horse-trading is silly considering the tens of thousands of married couples who somehow find a way to work together on boards and in professional environments without basing their decisions on who took the trash out the night before.

I can at least understand a policy basis for spacing out Board terms, although I personally tend to look down upon term limits because it ends up putting too much power in the hands of the entrenched bureaucracy. But I see no such basis for married couples. Yes, it is possible that you could have a married couple that votes in lockstep or where one spouse just follows the other's lead. But there are many that don't, just as there are many "independent" board members that follow someone else's lead. Seems like a tenuous basis for crafting policy.

I'll say it again -- trust the membership, give them the tools to make decisions, and let them judge who should and should not be on the Board. If you don't trust a married couple on the Board, then don't vote for them. But don't limit my choice because you don't trust me to vote the right way.

Erik

1x Backwoods Smoker Extended Party
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #29
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Just voted the Brethren party line. Good Luck guys.

Now . . .

I hope one of you can write in English!

Why in the world vote for a change to the Bylaws to include an incoherent requirement.

Quote:
YES Change Bylaws

A vote YES means you WANT to add the following to the KCBS bylaws:

Section 4.03 Requirements
A Member of the Corporation is not eligible to seek election for Director of the Corporation if the member shares a physical address with any currently Director of the Corporation.

With any currently Director?

This is just plain embarassing from a grammatical standpoint.

And the way it was intended to be written would also prevent a member sharing the same address from being able to run even if the other member's term is ending.

I say, let the membership decide who they want at every election. And if the organization doesn't think I'm smart enough or can't be trusted to decide these things on my own, then screw them, I'm out of here.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Just voted the Brethren party line. Good Luck guys.

Now . . .

I hope one of you can write in English!

Why in the world vote for a change to the Bylaws to include an incoherent requirement.

With any currently Director?

This is just plain embarassing from a grammatical standpoint.

And the way it was intended to be written would also prevent a member sharing the same address from being able to run even if the other member's term is ending.

I say, let the membership decide who they want at every election. And if the organization doesn't think I'm smart enough or can't be trusted to decide these things on my own, then screw them, I'm out of here.
I saw the currently thing and hoped it was just a typo here and that if and when it passes, they'll notice it and make the correction. You're definitely correct that technically it would prevent someone from running even if by installing new board members, you'd be removing the spouse of the newly elected board member. Maybe that was intentional? Don't know. Would like to hear Candy explain it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote