The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
BenGi Z
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Guidance On Smoker Build (stumps clone)

I have a large offset that I built from an old fuel oil drum approximately 66" wide x 27" deep x 48" inches tall. The firebox is currently in the center on the lower back side of the tank. We are having limited success with this design. I will post pics.

I want to redesign the cooker with a Stump's style gravity feeder on the end and make it a reverse flow. I have three basic questions I am hoping I can get input on.

1. How big should I make the coal chute? I was thinking 6x8 tapering to an 8x8 burn area. Is this too big?

2. How big should I make the transfer tube for a cooker this size? I've read 3x5 up to 6x8.

3. How big of a stack should I use? I was thinking an 8" stack with a damper. I have been told bigger is better on the stack. There are currently two 3" stacks on the cooker and I feel they are too small.

Any advice that anyone can give is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pics would help.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
wtxsmoker
Got Wood.

Check out Praire Accosiation BBQ forum or the smoke ring form. Tons of build on both sites. Google them
wtxsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote