喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Default RD and stolen credit card numbers

Just wanted to give a heads up reminder. I just learned that my card is being used in PA and NJ. Thanx to the breathen that gave the heads up last month about the breach in security at resturaunt depot. I notified my card company of the possibility and they closed the card down pretty quick when all the out of state charges started. Check your statements if you used RD in September thru Novemeber. I hate these scum and hope bad things come their way. keith
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

sure is a shame rd cant get a better fire wall for protection against these scum bags.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
sure is a shame rd cant get a better fire wall for protection against these scum bags.
It was an inside job. Someone in IT loaded capture malware into their merchant processing SW.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

All of this nonsense about checking IDs at registers "for your protection" hides the fact that most credit card thefts are done by store employees, as was the case at RD. They are not supposed to store things like your CCV number, but malware in the POS can capture everything.

Giving them your driver's license just makes identity theft easier. (Most credit card merchant agreements prohibit merchants from requesting an ID at a point of sale, something I cheerfully remind the stores of when I am being a troublemaker, which admittedly is most of the time. )
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
All of this nonsense about checking IDs at registers "for your protection" hides the fact that most credit card thefts are done by store employees, as was the case at RD. They are not supposed to store things like your CCV number, but malware in the POS can capture everything.

Giving them your driver's license just makes identity theft easier. (Most credit card merchant agreements prohibit merchants from requesting an ID at a point of sale, something I cheerfully remind the stores of when I am being a troublemaker, which admittedly is most of the time. )

i dont quite understand that part.. all of my credit cards, in the signature box, I have printed in marker 'REQUEST PHOTO ID'. I always figured its easier to duplicate my signature than my ugly face. i show it to them from my wallet and dont turn it over to them. Why does that make it easier for identity theft?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've been to RD 3 times in the last week. Never did they do more than look at my photo on the driver's license. Nor did they look at the back of the credit card for the CCV number.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i dont quite understand that part.. all of my credit cards, in the signature box, I have printed in marker 'REQUEST PHOTO ID'. I always figured its easier to duplicate my signature than my ugly face. i show it to them from my wallet and dont turn it over to them. Why does that make it easier for identity theft?
#1 Read your CC agreement - your card isn't valid unless signed and if the bank determines that your card was used fradulently unsigned they may choose to deny you reimbursement for fraudulent charges against your account.
#2 Every time you show ID (which is a violation of the store's merchant agreement - they aren't allowed to request it - unless your card is unsigned and then only to verify that you sign your card with the correct name) The cashier (who only looks like a slack jawed yokel) has access to your name, your full birth date, your address, and your zip code.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I always find it hilarious when the cashiers at Lowe's ask me for the last four digits of the card number used. Obviously no one ever explained to them that the whole point in the POS system asking for that is to ensure that the cashier was holding the card in his hand at the time of sale. Personally, I just think they should throw those self-swipe terminals in a river.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
billm
is One Chatty Farker

a letter was sent out to all RD members..I cancelled the one credit card i use there as soon as I read it..

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

If you ever want to read an interesting book on credit card fraud, read the book about Kevin Poulsen called Kingpin. It's a good read and it gives great insight in to how a lot of the credit card fraud is done. Point Of Sale systems was one of the primary ways he did it. His network of thieves used shoppers who would take the stolen (forged) cards and buy stuff at the stores and then sell it on ebay to turn it in to cash.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

RD has never ever asked to see my drivers license when I use my card there even after this incident happened.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

I think they got me too. Had some fraudulent charges show up on the card I used last month at the Depot.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
nthole
Babbling Farker

I just saw this. Wish I had seen the previous posting. My card was stolen last week and I was wondering how they got it. That was probably it. I hate thieves.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Mrs. McFrankenboo
On the road to being a farker

They cleaned out our BBQ account but thankfully it was all returned. Aggravating to say the least!