The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
BigKev
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS R2-BQ Build

Process of building my version of a R2-D2 themed USD (aka a R2-BQ).

The process started with getting a clean bare drum from a recycler near Los Angeles. These is "almost" a straight sided drum and was ran through a blast furnace and media blasted. I drilled the marked the location of the air intake holes in the bottom and then drilled them out to 1".

Then I reburned the drum to remove the rust inhibitor that the recycler sprays their drums with. I set the drum on top of my fire pit so I would not kill the grass in the yard, and then put the screen from the fire pit on top to catch and flying embers.

I picked up a used 22.5" OTS from CL to use as parts for the project. I plan on using the bottom of the OTS for the "head" of R2. It is larger and has the correct dome shape. But this required me to cut he leg holders off the bottom of the kettle with a cut off wheel, and then grind down the spot welds with a grinder.

With the "head" prepped, I need to create a "docking ring" with the drum as the head was the exact same width as the drum lip. So it would not sit over the lip, or snap over the outside or inside of the drum lip. So I cut the flange off of the OTS lid, and then inverted that and welded it to the top of the drum. I made sure to remove the porcelain from the flange and also grind down the top of the drum to insure a good welding are. I then tack welded the flange in place. I like later seal the seam completely with some Silicon RTV.

I am leaving the One Touch controls in the kettle to give me an exhaust dampener for the UDS when done. Pictures below follow more to come as I get further into the project.

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lookin' good
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Really cool build brotha, I have never seen anyone use the grill base as a lid I like it! Good craftsmanship so far cant wait to see what else you slap on R2-BQ

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Chickenbone
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great, thanks for the ideas.
Chickenbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
SmokeOCD
Full Fledged Farker

Looking forward to seeing this!
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
BigBobBQ
is One Chatty Farker

looks like this is going to be an interesting build, can't wait too see the final results.

Home built 120 gallon stick burner on wheels,
Master Built 7-in-1 vertical,
Master Forge Charcoal grill,
open pit,
UDS,
BigBobBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great.

A nation of sheep will soon have a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
lcbbq
Got Wood.

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it finished.
16" Horizon Backyard Classic
UDS
lcbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's a Brethren build...

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Looking good. Lot of work done already. How do you plan on painting it up?
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
BigKev
Got Wood.

After I get all the fabrication work done, I am going to give the outside a sand down, and also sand the "head" to etch it a little bit. Then the entire unit will get a coat of high temp silver. Then I will mask off the head for the metallic blue panels. The body with get masked with some fine line tape to create the panel borders, and then sprayed white. Then the fine line tape is removed. Finally just need to mask and tape off the areas of metallic blue and black on the body.

So trying to duplicate as much of the original R2D2 look in feel in paint. So the "legs" will just be painted on, no extra fabricated bits. After all, when all is said in done it is still a smoker first, just themed.

Thanks for all the kind words so far. It is appreciated.

Unread 12-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
BigKev
Got Wood.

More progress today....

Originally I was going to just tack weld the "docking ring" to the drum and then seal it with RTV silicone. But I wasn't happy with how thin the ring was and it bent a way to easily from the heavier kettle (head). So I just decided to fully weld it in, and did multiple passes to build up the thickness of the lip, and then ground it to shape. This is probably the thickest part of the drum now, and no RTV required.

I also used a bullseye pic to remove as much of dents in the kettle from where the leg holders were welded.

Next I moved unto sanding down the "head" and the drum to ready it for paint. I first removed the One-Touch controls, and then I used a stripping wheel on a grinder to remove the shiny later on the kettle (aka head), and went over the entire outside of the drum to clean it.

Then I drilled the holes for the rack bolts. Installed the bolts, and also installed the pipe nipples on the bottom.

With everything installed, then I wiped down the drum and head with thinner to remove any dirt and grease. Masked off the nipple threads, and tapped over holes in the head. They I applied three coats of High-Heat Aluminum color paint. This will be the base color for both parts and also the main color for the head. The paint recommends that it cure for 7 days before another coat of paint being applied over it to prevent lifting. So in a holding pattern until then.

Unread 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Still looking good
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Just Peachy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

She looks like she's itchin for some fire in her belly!
Just Peachy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
LuvDbbq
On the road to being a farker

Nice looking build. I like how you did the lid.
Old #4 kamado, 32" SS Gas Grill with ceramic plates, Infrared rotisserie and side burner. Best cleaning towels I've found- [URL]http://davidwilliams.norwex.biz/?p=start&lang=EN[/URL]
LuvDbbq is offline   Reply With Quote