The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Flame issue with deep fryer

I need some advice on this turkey fryer. In other words, should I buy a new one? (this one was free)

1. I can only get a yellow flame (no blue at all) and in order to get the oil to 350 degrees I have to have the flame roaring up the sides of the pot. The fire couldn't get hot enough to maintain 350 when the turkey was in and I fried my turkeys at 275 degrees.

2. About 5-10 times during the frying of 2 turkeys fire would come back out of my air intake valve near the black propane hose. I would have to shut the gas off and relight the burner each time. Sort of scary.

3. During my fry not only did the pot become crazy black with soot but it appears that either paint or the black enamel of my fryer support legs were chipping with burnt black chunks. These chunks were falling to the ground. You can see this in the photo below.

4. The next day I took the burner apart, expecting to see some sort of clog, and I see no obstruction. Gas can freely flow.

What the @#%$ is wrong with this fryer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg junk.jpg (116.4 KB, 128 views)
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]UDS build[/B]: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://grilling24x7.com/UDS1.shtml"][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]http://grilling24x7.com/UDS1.shtml[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.grilling24x7.com/"][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]http://www.grilling24x7.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
grilling24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

If the flame is yellow/orange instead if blue, its getting too much oxygen. Did you try closing the air intake some? The one that had flames coming out of it... when i take apart/clean the burners on the restaurant range they have the same type of air intake and sometimes need to be closed/opened some to get an optimal mix of oxygen and natural gas(or in your case, propane). hope this helps.

Unread 12-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman1282 View Post
If the flame is yellow/orange instead if blue, its getting too much oxygen. Did you try closing the air intake some? The one that had flames coming out of it... when i take apart/clean the burners on the restaurant range they have the same type of air intake and sometimes need to be closed/opened some to get an optimal mix of oxygen and natural gas(or in your case, propane). hope this helps.
Yes, I messed with the air intake.

Closed --> yellow
Open --> yellow

so annoying!
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]UDS build[/B]: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://grilling24x7.com/UDS1.shtml"][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]http://grilling24x7.com/UDS1.shtml[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.grilling24x7.com/"][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]http://www.grilling24x7.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]
grilling24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
team s.a. blue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I had the same problem. Turned out to be the regulator
team s.a. blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, get a new regulator. Then you'll have a $10.00 cooker.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Fishhook

bugs/spiders crawling into the regulator end of the hose will cause this also...

Unread 12-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
deerslayer8153

I agree with fishhook. Blow out everything with some compressed air, around here dirt daubers and spiders are the main culprits. I've had this happen several times.

Unread 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
meatinc

Absolutely has to do with the orifice size. See if the mfg has a spec sheet on the burner - it may have two orifice size options - one for LP and one for natural gas. They are different. If the incorrect orifice is installed - and it's not adjustable (typically not), then you may have to replace it with the correct size. The air flow damper is for fine tune adjustment - this only works if you have the correct orifice / gas combo.

Unread 12-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
1MoreFord
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman1282 View Post
I have to disagree. Yellow flame is not enough oxygen. Blue is proper oxygen. Flame appearing out away from the burner and eventually even blowing out is too much oxygen.