The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 12-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default GoPayment/Squareup

Anybody ever use these and Pro's/Con's? Looking to use on Blackberry or I-phone for Vending. Thanks in Advance.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

I've used squareup, it's very convenient to setup and use. I would say the only drawback I could see in a vending situation is that it's a little unwieldy/slow to have someone sign their name on the touchscreen of your phone.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

We started using Go Payment this year and had good success with it. Make sure to read the fine print. The will send your money in three business days like most credit card processors until you go over a limit. Then they put a hold on your payment until they can make sure you are legit. The events that we vend don't have much demand for plastic transactions, so we never went over.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

Might go with one of those Bluetooth ones also. Vending out of a Comp trailer and looking for options for Customers and bigger point of sale (Rubs, Sauce etc) just looking to get my feet wet. Any issues with signals or problems that might have happened? Thanks in advance.

Unread 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Buckscent
Knows what a fatty is.

I use GoPayment, no issues at all. I use the app on my Iphone and works fine. I have not has any signal isssues but keep in mind that could be an issue. I liked nothing up front and the reader was free. Plus if you don't use it you don't pay for it
Buckscent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

Has anybody used the Bluetooth one?

Unread 12-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
Might go with one of those Bluetooth ones also. Vending out of a Comp trailer and looking for options for Customers and bigger point of sale (Rubs, Sauce etc) just looking to get my feet wet. Any issues with signals or problems that might have happened? Thanks in advance.
The approval process takes longer with a weaker signal. We really did not run any benchmark tests to document how much longer. Maybe 10 to 15 seconds on a slow day. One day their system was down and that did cause us some problems with regulars who were expecting to use their card. We got into the habit of running a $1.00 test transaction on one of our own cards to make sure the system was up before putting out the "credit cards welcome" sign.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law

Unread 12-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

What was the Avg per use/day were you using? I think there are dif configurations, Thanks again

Unread 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

We use GoPayment with no issues. Wife loves it because she uses Quickbooks also.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
What was the Avg per use/day were you using? I think there are dif configurations, Thanks again
We put it in very late in the season and were only running maybe a dozen transactions per day at $10 or less per ticket.

Unread 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I use go payment for my iphone for catering only, I would never accept credit cards while vending, cash only while vending for us. We are an approved catering for penn state university and each department has their own credit card and they perfer to pay that way. I looked into square up, but seeing as how (at that time) there was no direct number to call them, everything done via email. I've never had any issue using my go payment, but again when you have long lines at an event vending, using it would just slow everything down, an I have yet to see anyone else at the events we do accepting credit cards. Cash is king in vending.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Use Square up with no issues
jimbloomfield is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

I agree cash is always king, however the location where I'm going to be I feel can only help. Thanks for all the help and advice, I think that I'm going to check out the BLuetooth ones as well. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks Again.

Unread 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

We use Square, we don't advertise that we take it, I don't want to lose 2.75% on every sale and the time it takes to do it, we only will do it if we have time and someone ask's about it