Christmas Eve London Broil on the Weber

T

Tom Walker

Dear BBQ Brethren and Sistern,
Merry Christmas!

I'm still new to this so please hang with me. Thanks.

It's Christmas morning and I'm nibbling on the remains of last night's London Broil from the Weber Kettle. Oh My! This is so good that it's hard to stop and wipe off my fingers to keep typing. But for you're sake I'll try.

I learned a couple of things I didn't know and am still not sure about so maybe all y'all can help get it right.
Fer-instance: "London Broil" is not a cut but a process." Huh? It was marked as a cut when I bought it. It was raw so I don't see how that is a process.

I wasn't sure how to grill it so I hit the google button. After many dead ends and outright stupid answers I finally gathered enough bits of data to see that London Broil should be marinaded for best results and tenderness. (I never tried that before but I'd never tried it on the grill before, either.)

Ok, I used my own marinade made of a can of beef broth, terriaki sauce, Adolph's and a lot of lemon pepper. I had a 4 Lb slab of meat which I cut into two so that it would fit into two 1 Gal zip-loc bags. I soaked it in the marinade from 07:30 until 16:00 (4 o-clock PM) after which I patted it dry and rubbed it down with more lemon pepper.

I had lit enough charcoal to cover the fire grid of the 22.5" Weber and threw on a small handfull of dry Mesquite chips off on the side. As the chips flaired up I sprayed them with a squirter to put out the black smoke flame, knowing it would come back up slowly with white smoke, and dropped the two pieces of beef in the middle of the already hot grill.

Cooking time: 6 minutes per side.
Only once per side!:mad2: You don't want to scortch the meat. I used some of the marinade as basting to keep it all moist and when I brought the finished meat into the kitchen I asked my son to carve. After about seven minutes he had his favorite knife razor sharp which gave the meat a chance to finish it's post-cooking set up.

The Broil was perfectly bloody Rare on the inside and Uber-well done on the outside. The thinner end was medium well at center which is the way my (future) son-in-law likes it.

The family said it tasted like jerky. Teriyaki and lemon pepper! It figures. They liked it well enough even though it was a bit too rare for them.
Hey! I like mine raw so what do I know?

I should mention that the cut was close to 3" thick at center and only 3/4" at the tail. Again, this allowed for a wider selection of doneness.
Next time I'll let it go just a minute more per side or get a less thick slab.
Also, I'll just marinate OR rub and I'll use less pepper.
I have to admit that I'm still munching on it and it's still mighty good.

So, plan now for New Year's day.

Love, Peace and Victory through superior BBQing.

Your Loving Brother,

Tom

Yeah, a common misconception is that London Broil is a cut. I'd like to think that the butchers know this and just label it that way since that's what most folks look for.

There is a local meat market around here that sells "London Broil" that is tri-tip that has been marinaded in their secret marinade. It's very good, but the secret marinade tastes a lot like A-1 steak sauce :-D

If London broil was 5 bucks a # and top round was 4 bucks a # which one would you buy? Surprise!

Back