What IS it with me and meat markets??

L

LittleDick'sBBQ

Greetings,

I went to the supermarket today to buy a brisket that I'll schmoke Saturday. The first store offered a 5-pounder; a little small I thought. I told the meat-worker guy that I wanted to BBQ smoke it and he said, "Really? I've never heard of that before..." :shocked: WTF?? Never heard of BBQ brisket? Dude...you sell MEAT! :roll:

Then I found another hunk o' brisket at another store. I settled on a 7.46-pounder. How is this size? It's wrapped in plastic and I'm planning on injecting it with the Simply Marvelous Kosmo's Beef Injection I got last week. I'd be happy to hear suggestions from Brethren. I'll be schmoking it on the Weber OTG, minion method. I have apple or hickory chunks to use. I also have a bunch of Simply Marvelous rubs to use.

Thanks for reading and any advice.
Little Dick

232323232%7Ffp73456%3Enu%3D47%3A9%3E%3A45%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D348%3A4%3A684534%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6356%3B%3Enu%3D47%3A9%3E%3A45%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D348%3A4%3A78%3B334%3Anu0mrj

Is that a very small trimmed packer? The first offering was probably just the flat.

Holy Smokies! They really nail you on the price. Out here, you can pick up a whole packer brisket for $1.99/lb. Of course we pay a fortune to live and gas costs are crazy.

So I assume you are cooking indirect at a low temp like 250, right? Injection is good and rub is to your liking. I would put a grease/water pan under it to help hold the temperature and I would spritz it with apple juice or something periodically. I don't foil but lots of folks do around IT of 165. A little beef broth in the foil helps.
Have fun and take notes so you can keep improving.

I'm planning on injecting it with the Simply Marvelous Kosmo's Beef Injection I got last week.

Maybe you bought the Kosmo's injection from Simply Marvelous, but Kosmo's is a separate company.

The label on that brisket is all over the place. Beef Chuck Fresh Brisket?

It does look like a very small packer, but it's hard to tell without seeing the other side. You may want to look around before you buy another. I sure hope $4.29/lb isn't typical around you.

The size is OK. I prefer packers between 12 and 15 lbs. They just do better in my cookers and I can get three or four meals out of it.

Holy Hannah! That's a little steep! Is it like that at all the markets around you, or is it just this place??? :confused:

That does seem steep for a whole packer brisket. Seems like I normally pay $1.99 - $2.29 up here. But I have heard that beef prices are skyrocketing and have noticed it on a few items already.

Holy Smokies! They really nail you on the price. Out here, you can pick up a whole packer brisket for $1.99/lb. Of course we pay a fortune to live and gas costs are crazy.

I need to find me a place like that! Maybe I should try the warehouse store (BJ's, Sam's Club)?

Thanks,
Little Dick

The size is OK. I prefer packers between 12 and 15 lbs. They just do better in my cookers and I can get three or four meals out of it.

That's what I was looking for. I went to two places and finally settled on the brisket I bought. Fortunately it's just the "cherry on top" for the family Christmas party!

Little Dick

Maybe you bought the Kosmo's injection from Simply Marvelous, but Kosmo's is a separate company.

The label on that brisket is all over the place. Beef Chuck Fresh Brisket?

It does look like a very small packer, but it's hard to tell without seeing the other side. You may want to look around before you buy another. I sure hope $4.29/lb isn't typical around you.

Hey Ron,

You get just three of four meals out of a 12-15 pounder???

Man I can't even buy it for that price on sale down here! Brisket runs around $7.29, even sides cost $4.99.

I am going to pickup a case tomorrow from my Meat house in Chicago. I get Packer Market Price with a few pennies over and I tell you it is not cheap. $in the low 2's per LB for Market is High. Brisket AVG usually around 1.66 Market but lately its high.

Time to educate that butcher that didn't know you could smoke a brisket... :shock:

If you want to go all Texas on that brisket, don't use too sweet of a rub and no type of fruit juices at any point. A little beef broth, Worcester sauce and your favorite beer would be ok though. Let us know how it turns out.

Greetings,

I went to the supermarket today to buy a brisket that I'll schmoke Saturday. The first store offered a 5-pounder; a little small I thought. I told the meat-worker guy that I wanted to BBQ smoke it and he said, "Really? I've never heard of that before..." :shocked: WTF?? Never heard of BBQ brisket? Dude...you sell MEAT! :roll:

Then I found another hunk o' brisket at another store. I settled on a 7.46-pounder. How is this size? It's wrapped in plastic and I'm planning on injecting it with the Simply Marvelous Kosmo's Beef Injection I got last week. I'd be happy to hear suggestions from Brethren. I'll be schmoking it on the Weber OTG, minion method. I have apple or hickory chunks to use. I also have a bunch of Simply Marvelous rubs to use.

Thanks for reading and any advice.
Little Dick

232323232%7Ffp73456%3Enu%3D47%3A9%3E%3A45%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D348%3A4%3A684534%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6356%3B%3Enu%3D47%3A9%3E%3A45%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D348%3A4%3A78%3B334%3Anu0mrj

Greetings Fellow Connecticuter,

Stop n Shop is not the place to buy a packer brisket...

Restaurant Depot or a local meat wholesaler is a better bet... a packer should be 16 to 18 lbs...

I live in Ridgefield and we have a tier 8 Stop n Shop...the most expensive because we are next to Westchester Co. , NY....no bargains to be found on brisket here and not the cut you need...

Your local IGA, Restaurant Depot or local meat wholesaler is a better bet...make a connection with the butcher and give him some Q and you will get the cut you need...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Hey Ron,

You get just three of four meals out of a 12-15 pounder???

Yeah, maybe 5 out of a 15 lber. With a typical 12 pound packer there is two to three pounds of fat between the fat cap and the hard fat in between the flat and point, plus any fat left in between. Then it loses weight when cooking, so a 12 lb packer probably yields about 6-7 lbs of usable meat.

Freaky label...good choice on rubs though! :thumb: I recommend the Season All on your brisket...it's more savory than his others...so far...:wink:

Yeah, maybe 5 out of a 15 lber. With a typical 12 pound packer there is two to three pounds of fat between the fat cap and the hard fat in between the flat and point, plus any fat left in between. Then it loses weight when cooking, so a 12 lb packer probably yields about 6-7 lbs of usable meat.

Must be some AWESOME sammiches!:-D

Man I can't even buy it for that price on sale down here! Brisket runs around $7.29, even sides cost $4.99.
Sams Club on Ke'eumoku has Choice flats for around 5-6 bucks a lb. Full packers (Choice) run less, around 3 bucks/lb.

I'll be stopping by there tomorrow or Friday to get updated pricing.

I just paid $2.99 for a 12 pound angus brisket up here in Massachusetts regular price not on sale

Back