The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
stubshaft
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pig Candy (again)

I joined this site because it offered a diverse variety of Q options and methods. I had become set in my ways and made the same rubs, marinades and recipes for whatever I cooked. Which is usually some form of game animal, hogs being the most frequent with wild sheep, goats and the occasional Axis deer thrown in. So I delved in with an open mind and feel like a kid in a candy store.

I saw and thread relating to HDD and decided to give "store bought" a try. What a revelation that was. I ordered it a couple of days ago and recieved it the afternoon. Since there is a lot of heavy rain today (freeway was closed with 8" of water "ponding" on it) my only option to try it out was the oven. So I pulled out some maple cured bacon and decided to make pig candy.

Sprinkled some HDD on both sides of the bacon followed by brown sugar. Placed in on a rack over a pan and set it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. Flipped them over and baked for another 25 minutes or so until the sugar was carmelized and the edges were slightly browned. Then came the hardest part, waiting 10 minutes for it to cool.

AWESOME, is the only thing that I can think of. There were no leftovers to refrigerate.

I am going to a pre-Xmas party this Sunday and i'm going to make this for my buddies. The first piece of bacon is free, after that they'll have to pay!

Last edited by stubshaft; 01-14-2012 at 12:48 AM..
stubshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Love pig candy!
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

I made some this past Thanksgiving but made the mistake of pulling it off too quick, it wasn't as crisp as some of the earlier batches I have made but I sure didn't hear any complaints and there was none left over. I had a family reunion and there were 23 people and the fun part was that none of them knew what Pig Candy was and the other was teaching them how to make it. Lots of smiling happy faces.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

Oven or not, those look awesome!! Thanks for the business!

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22˝" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote