oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default VENISON --- How would YOU cook a neck roast?

So I've got freezer meat from my deer harvest last month. I've saved the whole neck. My thought was to just rub it, smoke it low & slow & pull it apart.......

But I thought I'd check in to see if anyone else has input....SO?

"Oh, I donít reject Christ. I love Christ. Itís just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
jason p
On the road to being a farker

I have a freezer full of venison also and have been trying to think of ways to smoke it also. I dont have any recipes but my thoughts were this, because venison is so lean and drys out I thought that injecting it might go along way and
jason p is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I like grinding venison and adding equal parts porkbutt grind to use for fatties. The different seasoning blends are endless.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Wampus

To Jason P:

and........?

I thought the same thing. I don't want to dry it out. I have some pork fat trimmings from a bunch of butt's I've done that I vacuum sealed and froze too. I may try and wrap the neck with some pork fat or something? Or do it in a pan with some moisture to keep the cooker hydrated?

I know that my buddy usually boils the neck and then pulls the meat and puts it in a pot/crock pot with sauce for what he calls "BBQ". I was also thinking of saucing it, just not boiling it.

Winemaster: I already have some grind. I just saved the neck for the smoker.

"Oh, I donít reject Christ. I love Christ. Itís just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
bbqbull

I take next roasts, remove the silver skin and into the crock pot over night on low.
Remove meat from bones. Back into the crock pot on low with some bbq sauce.
My kids went nuts over that on burger buns.

I tried to smoke a venison roast once, ruined it. I even wrapped it in a pound of bacon.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. "

"Heavily medicated for your protection. "

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I take next roasts, remove the silver skin and into the crock pot over night on low.

I tried to smoke a venison roast once, ruined it. I even wrapped it in a pound of bacon.
Hmmmm....EXACTLY the advice I was looking for! There must be a reason that my buddy does pretty much exactly what you're talking about!

Thanks Bull! Last thing I wanted to do was ruin that neck roast!!! I only have 1 and I can't exactly run to the grocery store to grab another one!

-Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

I'd do the first step in a really low smoker (225 max) for a few hours to impart some flavor. I'd def. place the roast in a pan for the cooker, though, to capture any moisture. Then transfer to crock pot and finish it up.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I have been contemplating this exact same question. I thought, (heaven forbid), that I could wrap it in foil with a couple of pieces of fat bacon wrapped around it after smoking for about an hour low. Maybe with a little apple juice.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

How lean is the neck meat? Usually that gets ground so I have never tried to cook it as a roast. Now, you could try to smoke it but you would probably want to wrap in bacon for a bit to keep it moist. Here is how I cooked a lean tenderloin. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=118388
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

ďI dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.Ē ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
jason p

That is how I did my turkey on thanksgiving in a roasting pan with the turkey cannon,except the roast I was thinking of covering with foil after it hit about 150 for a few hours then removing the roast from the pan to develop a little bark. I guess Im trying to do what the slow cooker does but with more flavor,when I do roasts in my slow cooker they are in for about five to six hours on low. I will post my slow cooker recipe when I have more time my boy wants me to play trucks with him and three year olds dont like waiting. The neck and front shoulders are my favorite roasts ,all of my venison is deboned there is to much wild flavor in the bones for me.
jason p is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
mytmouz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post

I do this, I also shred it, and make a gravy with the crock pot drippings and smother it, and make hash with it as well...

Weber Kettle #1 Black
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Charbroil gasser
Brinkman vertical smoker
And 2 UDS go to set ups...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
BMantlow

wampus my intention is not to hijack.

mytmouz- could you PM me hash recipe?

bmantlow@bellsouth.net
BMantlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I have never smoked the neck, but I have done venison ham. I trimmed it up and rubbed it with SM Sweet Seduction, no injection, no bacon, or anything. I put it on the smoker at 275 and ran it to an internal temp of 157 and it came out really tender and juicy. There was nothing left after it was sliced and served. here are some pictures of the ham I smoked..

Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Crock pot. Put the roast in the crock, add water to cover 1/2 the meat. Add a bay leaf (in the water). Add dried chopped onion, about 1/4 cup over the meat and in the water. Salt and pepper the meat. Cook on low for about 10 hours.

The neck is made of many muscles which means there a lots of tendons, silver skin, and chewy things. You don't want to grind it up or smoke it, just slow cook it for best results.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with big bob. If you want it sliced. Smoke it a little high, because its lean, and only bring it up to the upper 150's. It will carry over 160-165 while resting in foil. You cant smoke them like a butt till they pull. They are just too lean. You can however smoke it low 200-225 for 2-3 hours or so then take it out, put in a crockpot, with your mix of stock, juice, Gin, or beer. Just enough to steam it long enough so that when you pull it apart the juices are still concentrated. You can pan and foil it and put it back in your smoker, but to me, its just wasting precious wood when your food is in the foil. Heat is heat at that point. If the smoker holds temps well, keep it in there, if you have to add more fuel to the fire, i just remove it.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote