ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Stuffed Tater, not BBQ

As everyone who knows me understands, I often go a little veggie...here is a stuffed tater in response to a week of too much red meat...and again, this is the entire blog post, so there is no reason to go looking for any info there...

Well, the past week or so was just a lot of meat, a whole lot of meat, and something had to change, so tonight was vegetarian night and a stuffed potato seemed like the way to go. I happened to chance upon a beautiful organic potato, a huge one, a stuffer for sure.

The Lowly Potato

A few pokes with a fork, some olive oil and into the oven at 375F for about an hour, or when it was done actually. I sort of timed it. I actually just test for whether or not it is tender when squeezed lightly. If you squeeze too hard, it bursts and sprays burning tater guts all over your arms (don't ask). Anyway, some stuff was chopped up, things like shallots, garlic, choi sum (some call it baby bok choy), baby mustard leaves, baby shiitake mushrooms and some green onions.

Choi sum stems and leaves, pea sprouts, shallot, garlic

Baby Shiitake mushrooms, baby mustard greens, feta cheese

The aromatics were stir-fried until the choi sum stems were softened, but not translucent, then the mushroom and greens were added. Tossed and then heat was off, no cooking the greens, no breaking down the mustard greens releasing bitterness.

Mushrooms in the wok

Once the greens went in, I added some day old Jasmine rice and a mix of 2 tablespoons each of liquid amino acids and Red Boat fish sauce, which is a great ingredient with all manner of vegetables. Yes, I know this makes it non-vegetarian, but it also makes it tasty. All tossed together and then allowed to cool.

Vegetable mixture, Feta cheese and Potato

Once the mixture was cooled the Feta was tossed in and the stuffing began. I find it is easiest to scoop out the potato to make the boat by using a salad fork, and scraping, sort of like harrowing a field prior to plowing. I know, like everyone knows how to harrow a field, it was what I could thing of. Then laying a blob of stuffiing and just rolling palm fulls into the potato. You end up with this...well, at least I did.

Poor potato, he never saw it coming...

Once this was done, into a 375F oven for about 30 minutes, until heated through, then a little cheese, another 10 minutes and it is ready for a little flash to be added. This came in the form of some more grated cheese, some chopped green onion (green part) and a little whipped topping. I made the whipped topping from some Greek Yoghurt, half and half, some sea salt, ground white pepper and a little palm sugar syrup. Yes, it is overly complicated, but, it tastes really good.

Topped Tater

I also happen to like how it drapes over the tater like a Veloute sauce as opposed to a glop of sour cream. Anyways, the sliced shot, showing that it was not just a way to justify eating a baked potato, that there was something there that was green.

The Eating, see mom, veggies!

Okay, maybe it was just a justification to eat a baked potato for dinner. But, this was a terrific dinner, with a wonderful balance of flavors, textures (thanks to not cooking the choi sum stems to death) and I suspect nutrition. Although I can't be sure of that last one.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't know if I ever saw a more delicous looking potato. Wow!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

You sure you didn't sneak any meat up in there? Not even bacon bits?

Looks great!
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

Wow Bob...

I've never seen so much work and love go into a spud but I must say it looks like it was well worth the effort. That is one tasty looking meal and a great post.

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Merry Christmas... Chitter was full!
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
bluetang

Now THAT is a potato! Dang that looks good.

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
SenorSlacker
Found some matches.

I know what I'm cooking tonight. I just cleaned up my gas grill and bought a new tank of propane. Time to make my wife happy.
SenorSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Bob.

That not only justifies a spud dinner it downright mandates it!

Looks great and I am sure it tasted better than it looked.

Thanks for sharing.

Unread 12-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
landarc

I have to admit, the word 'cracklins' kept popping into my head.

Unread 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Nice work thanks for sharing.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Bob, where do you come up with these ideas? I don't have a creative bone in my body. I can cook from a recipe, but don't have the skills to deviate. My hats off to ya.

A nation of sheep will soon have a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Bob, where do you come up with these ideas? I don't have a creative bone in my body. I can cook from a recipe, but don't have the skills to deviate. My hats off to ya.
I have been cooking for almost 40 years, food has been a passion for me for as long as I can remember. The ideas are an accumulation of that experience, a lot of reading and the fact that I am not wholly normal I do make a living in design, and have designed everything from a corporate identity suite to a covered bridge, so I am a creative designy sort. And I am not wholly normal

I should add, I had been a vegan for a couple/three years, and I maintain, if you really want to know if you can cook, become a cook for a person one a salt and sugar restricted diet who is following a vegan diet in an attempt to wring a few years more out of life. I did that for my mom when her heart was failing. You really learn a thing or two out of food combinations and flavor development when you can't rely on salt, sugar and pork fat for flavor.

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
BigBobBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I agree that is one sweet looking potato you went and put together right there. Makes me want one for dinner as well, will have to put it on my weekly menu to try. Keep up the Great Work!!

Home built 120 gallon stick burner on wheels,
Master Built 7-in-1 vertical,
Master Forge Charcoal grill,
open pit,
UDS,
BigBobBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Landarc that looks great. I'm not a big veggie eater but if that was on my plate it would be devoured.

Unread 12-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
gtr

Downloads: 2

I have never in my life seen a potato honored in such a way. I may have to treat those things with a little more respect, love them as I do. I gotta ask - all those ingredients - is that stuff you just have on hand or did you go get some of that for this dish?

Beautiful work on the cook and the pix!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
landarc

I generally have rice and garlic around, although, in this case, I went out and bought everything. I tend to do that with almost everything, I hit the grocery and produce markets every day or two, as I prefer to get things as fresh as possible. Especially since I am single, I don't always cook, not always at home and storing up perishables is a money losing situation.

Also, I tend towards organic and since I really like to cook with lighter flavors with produce, the longer it is in storage, the less the flavor and worse the texture.