oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Boneless pork loin chops

I just picked up some boneless pork loin chops at Publix. 3 of them somewhere between an inch and a half and two inches thick. I have some nice pork rub for them. I haven't ever done any on the smoker and I am thinking about trying it tomorrow. Am I wasting my time? I guess what I am asking is Grill or Smoker?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can take those either way, I usually smoke them, as those thicker ones will respond well to low temperature cooking. You could also sear them, then let them cook in a slow cooker until done. Done for me is more like 140F or so.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You can take those either way, I usually smoke them, as those thicker ones will respond well to low temperature cooking. You could also sear them, then let them cook in a slow cooker until done. Done for me is more like 140F or so.
I was thinking about a reverse sear, like I do for my steaks. Should I serve them as soon as they are done or let them sit for a little while?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

landarc has some sage advice. For me personally, I get whole loins from Sams and usually cut them to about an inch and a half like yours. I like to just grill at lower temps with a little wood for smoke flavor and then sear at the end. If you do end up smoking them, please document and let us know how it turns out.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
landarc has some sage advice. For me personally, I get whole loins from Sams and usually cut them to about an inch and a half like yours. I like to just grill at lower temps with a little wood for smoke flavor and then sear at the end. If you do end up smoking them, please document and let us know how it turns out.
I am going to attempt to post my first pron. I am doing mac & cheese and baked beans tonight and have been taking pictures at every step.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Any thoughts on applying the rub tonight and letting it sit or should I just do it before I start cooking?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Just Peachy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well, call me lazy but I wouldn't go through the trouble of smokin just pork chops. I'd fry 'em up with rice 'n gravy on the side! I'd only go through the trouble of firing up the smoker for a hunk of meat like minimum a loin or ever better a butt! Let us know how it goes!
Just Peachy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Frankbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Hill Country, TX BBQ joints use a savory rub on thick cut pork loin chops and cook at a low temp. They are addictive.
Frankbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy View Post
Well, call me lazy but I wouldn't go through the trouble of smokin just pork chops. I'd fry 'em up with rice 'n gravy on the side! I'd only go through the trouble of firing up the smoker for a hunk of meat like minimum a loin or ever better a butt! Let us know how it goes!
I've got one of those easy electric smokers. Turn on the smoker with the remote, set the temp, when it gets to the right temp put some wood in the wood tray and then throw on the food. I am smoking mac & cheese and baked beans right now!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Quemaster
Knows what a fatty is.

I BBQ them low and slow all the time at 250 with Apple and Hickory until internal temp of 155. They are awesome!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Buckhorn Smoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

I put my baked beans in the smoker under a shoulder or ribs and let the drippings drip onto them. After a six hr smoke they are delicious.
Buckhorn Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Rub 'em tonight, won't hurt 'em a bit. And I vote for a reverse sear on the grill.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
landarc

I would rub them tonight if you wish, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and let them sit. When you are ready to fire up the smoker, remove them, hit em with a little more rub. Smoke until rare, 120F internal, remove, heat up grill and sear to 140F, then rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Moose

Yes, as others have suggested, go with a reverse sear, and smoke during the indirect phase, and if you want them nice and juicy, I'd pull them off when the internal temp reaches 145. Definitely let them rest for 5-10 mins before you eat them.

Here's a pork chop cook I did a while back:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=114585
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote