THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bluetang

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Smoked off a small capicola last weekend. Started out by cutting out the coppa bundle from a butt. Def need some more practice here.
cap8.jpg
cap9.jpg

Made up a curing brine and injected the pork to 10% of green weight. Soaked in the cure for four more days.
cap4.jpg
cap5.jpg

Rinsed and heavily coated with hot Hungarian paprika, cayenne, and red pepper flakes.
cap1.jpg
cap2.jpg

Stuffed into a fibrous casing, lightly smoked to an IT of 150, chilled and sliced.
cap6.jpg

Had a nice kick and made some good sammies, but seemed like something is missing. I think I'll try some juniper berries in the brine next time. Thanks for looking.
cap3.jpg

It sure looks nice, what can you do with it other than eat it straight?
I use this type(fully cooked capicola) pretty much like sliced ham...mostly sandwiches, pizza sometimes, or just rolled up in some mozzarella. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to try to dry cure some.

It looks amazing! Love capicola. We have it on the antipasto tray for holiday dinners. Good stuff! :thumb:

That looks great Blue... Did you put any drying time on it? Did you use cure #1 or #2?
I've been dying to do a air dried Capicola... Can't find dextrose out here though. Been thinking about using some glucose but I dont know how similar it is and if it would work. I need to order some! You might have just convinced me to pull the trigger on it! :thumb:

Cheers Brother!

That looks great Blue... Did you put any drying time on it? Did you use cure #1 or #2?
I've been dying to do a air dried Capicola... Can't find dextrose out here though. Been thinking about using some glucose but I dont know how similar it is and if it would work. I need to order some! You might have just convinced me to pull the trigger on it! :thumb:Cheers Brother!

This was a fully cooked capicola, smoked off like a ham, only with very light smoke, using cure #1. I will be dry curing some along with some lonzino in a couple of weeks for the first time using cure #2. As far as I know dextrose and glucose are the same. Thanks there!

Love capicolo..skip the juniper berries and just use gin (the cheaper, the better flavor) in the brine instead.
Gin? Whoda thunk? And I just happen to have some:-D Thanks for that one!

Sorry for the ignorance but what part of the butt does that come of of?
I found this tutorial on getting it out. This one was the first for me, a little rough but as they say, practice...
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/10/coppa-butchery-how-to-harvest-one.html

Back