expanded metal for uds firebox EXPENSIVE!

bigzthamoose

Knows what a fatty is.
Ok, how in the heck did you guys get all your expanded metal for your uds fireboxes? I cant find any around me (i will admit, i dont know where to look) i found a 4 x 8 sheet for like 100 bucks, but dang, not to mention, i dont have many metal working skills, so i dont know if i got the right stuff to cut it. Geez. Im annoyed. I want to build my UDS! Any ideas??

Go to Home Depot or Ace hardware. In there metal stock area they will have 24"x24" sheets for $20. The gauge is workable and look for the 3/4" (larger holes).

A friend of mine owns a car restoration shop. He got it for me. $20 from his supplier. he also cut it for me, and had enough, so that instead of a single layer, he welded the two pieces together, so that I have a thicker grate.

oh ya? I didnt even think Ace or home depot/ lowes had metal stock. Im an idiot. =( lol. I used to work at Lowes. I should know these things. ill go check!

You won't need that much to make your coal basket for the uds. I don't have a UDS, I am sure some guys will jump in here to help you out.

I know there have been several threads about guys that roll them and then bolt the ends together. You should be able to find it at lowes or home depot and they have smaller pieces.

while im asking, how big a firebox do you all make??

Usually, I use a charcoal grate from a donor Weber kettle (using the kettle lid for the UDS lid) as the base for the charcoal basket. If you get a 24x24 sheet from a hardware store and cut it in half you will have a ring that is 48" in circumference. This will not be big enough to go all the way to the edge of the charcoal grate but will be big enough to hold more charcoal than you should ever need. If you want to go more heavy duty and get a thicker gauge, I can dig up a welding shop in Olathe that you can buy "drops" from fairly cheap.

A tip about HD - nobody who works there knows where the expanded metal is - or even that they carry it. It's with the angle iron and bolt rods in the hardware section - usually in a little slot that's about knee high - at least in the ones I've been to.

Look for this:

ext72_25415475380.jpg

I took the printed out pics from Norco's tutorial to a machine shop.

I think they charged me $50 to weld the metal ( included in the price) onto the Weber firegrate and build a T handle for me that allows me to just reach in and pull it up.

A tip about HD - nobody who works there knows where the expanded metal is - or even that they carry it. It's with the angle iron and bolt rods in the hardware section - usually in a little slot that's about knee high - at least in the ones I've been to.

+1 on this, I knew that they carried it, but nobody that worked there knew how to find it. Took me awhile the first time but I know right where to go for it now. 20 bucks isn't a bad price ether.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ok, how in the heck did you guys get all your expanded metal for your uds fireboxes? I cant find any around me (i will admit, i dont know where to look) i found a 4 x 8 sheet for like 100 bucks, but dang, not to mention, i dont have many metal working skills, so i dont know if i got the right stuff to cut it. Geez. Im annoyed. I want to build my UDS! Any ideas??
Man, that's HIGH! I would check around on that if I were you cause I can get 4X8 sheet all day long around here for 45~50 bucks... Number 9 size with 3/4 holes. Raised or flat same price. And that is DELIVERED TO ME, I don't even have to use gas to go get it.

Last edited:
you can got to your local fab shop and ask for remnants, some times they have some some times the don't. But if they have rems it alot cheaper. I paid $5 for 12"x 6' #9 with 3/4 raised holes.

pwa

Thanks for this info about HD. I have been to several and either no one knows or they show me a 4x8 sheet of flimsy metal resembling chain mail.

I've bought 4x4 sheets of 0.090 expanded metal from Amazon for $38 -they shipped for free in 2 days with my prime membership. I made 2 fireboxes last summer from one sheet.
You can search for expanded metal on the Amazon site in the Industrial and Scientific Department.

Don't remember the exact dimensions but I used Norcorednecks tutorial and I got mine cut for 7.50 at a metal recycler. I was pretty happy.

Back