The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Just getting started in BBQ - What are some "must haves" that I should put on my Christmas wishlist?

Well, I must say, I've already gotten the ultimate Christmas/early 40th birthday gift - Lang 60 deluxe with 40" longneck chargrill trailer rig.

Now, for something "under the tree"......what are the "must have accessories"? I prefer to get everything at Amazon (no tax, free shipping, awesome service, great prices). Your input please

1. I need some type of wireless temp gauge that will tell me the smoker temp and internal meat temp without having to run outside. Is this the best? Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iShDSjXSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41iShDSjXSL

I own these knives (See Cuisinart Link). I personally feel that my knives are crap, but I want your opinion. I've tried running them across the supplied sharpener, but they still aren't "sharp". Just wondering if you all think that's a crap set and I need to "move on" to something else or try harder at sharpening what I've got? Amazon.com: Cuisinart Forged Triple-Riveted 18-Piece Cutlery Set: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jNtwbO7HL.@@AMEPARAM@@41jNtwbO7HL

Do I really need a set of bear claws for pulled pork?

Pig tail food flippers? Amazon.com: Pig Tail Food Flipper: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21RGWSNNA7L.@@AMEPARAM@@21RGWSNNA7L

Is this a good injector? Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 5011 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector with Marinade Needles: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31-w7y7WHAL.@@AMEPARAM@@31-w7y7WHAL

Wife already has a Thermapen under the tree
Anything else you fine folks can think of?
I appreciate your feedback here.
Merry Christmas!

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cant see what you've got up there, but a good injector is a must. I know some folks have had bad luck with Maverick, but I love my 2 ET-73's (yes, I have 2). You'll want some el-cheapo Wallyworld brand oven thermometers. Some PVC coated gloves are nice. Nitrile gloves too. HD aluminum foil. Gallons of Blues Hog Tennessee Red and Original.

I dont have a Thermapen. I suppose I will some day. I've been able so far to survive without one, but there have been many times when this would've helped.

I'm not sure if I'd ever use food flippers if I had them.

As far as bear claws go, it really depends on what you desire as an end result from pulled pork. If you like it pulled into oblivion (ala. shredded as some call it), thin, dries out fairly fast, and can have big chunks of fat in it, then by all means they work great and keep you from burning your fingers. Otherwise I suggest putting on some nitrile gloves that fit tight and pull by hand.

^^^ regarding bear claws or any other utensil like this for pulling/chopping pork: One of the things that really had me LOVING competition pulled pork is the attention to detail and that there was NO FAT in it. It is/was heaven-on-earth to eat all by itself. Until that time I'd always taken a pork sandwich or plate and picked over it to remove the fat chunks. There was a time when I sent back a sandwich because 75% of it was fat... Anyway, those are the folks that use things like bear claws. Frankly, most vendors use them for speed. No doubt, it's very fast. Also watch video of folks like Chris Lilly whip-up his butts for public consumption. Trust me, there's LOADS of fat and fatty tissue in those. Anyway, not for me... Whether making pork for the family or for others (I've even cooked/pulled pork for catered events), I always present the best possible product I can, and that means no fat in it. I dont cut corners.

Chris Lilly ruining a few good butts (IMHO) for public consumption [what you'd never do as a competitor]:
Chris Lilly at BABBP chopping up smoked pork shoulder | PHUDE-nyc - YouTube

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 12-08-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

I would go with the bear claws myself. I just recently changed employment fields and now work for Pork Barrel BBQ here in Alexandria. When I'm behind the line and having to pull the meat, even with a pair of leather gloves underneath the food service gloves I sometimes 'burn' my hands.
Pig tail flipper......not for me. I don't want to be piercing the meats and losing any juices. But some folks swear by 'em.
A good thermometer is always nice to have.
Maybe a good apron. I see so many folks with plastic or cloth aprons and I'm always worried about them catching on fire. I have a leather apron I use if I'm working around a lot of fire/sparks.
Hope this helps.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Your #1 is on my list too.
Funny, I turned 40 a few years back and never got my Lang.
Who do I write about that!?!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Uncle T
Got Wood.

A Turkey cannon would be nice if like me you did a lot of turkey's.. I like my Ove' Glove I hope I said it correctly I have 6 of these they look like gloves instead of potholder mits.. I just wish I could get them to make them all the way to my elbows.. This way I could have hair back on my arms heheheh.. but maybe hairy arms are over rated..

any ways hope you get what you want..

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
mytmouz
is one Smokin' Farker

Lakedogs must have read my mind. I just got the bear claws and a gallon of Blues Hog, along with some 3 eyz rub from Simply Marvelous earlier this week, the Maverick 732 arrived last Friday from 5-0 BBQ, and the Ique110 from Pitmaster) rolled in today. Oh, almost forgot, the Habenero Death Dust got here early last week from Oak Ridge BBQ. Except for the Ique, I bought all these items from the fine sponsors in the for sale area on this board...

Weber Kettle
Weber Kettle knock off
Charbroil gasser
And 2 UDS go to set ups...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
I didn't get my Lang until I was FIFTY! (Of course, I didn't start smoking until I was about 46 or 47.)

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
realspaazz
Take a breath!

I don't know about your Cuisinart knives, but a good knife sharpening system would be worth a try. Running the blade over the steel is a bit of an art. I regularly use the accusharp on my (cheap) knives. The results are good and the the technique is easy.
Amazon.com: AccuSharp Knife Sharpener With Replacement Blades: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dstbPMt8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41dstbPMt8L

I know that the knife gurus might frown on this one, but it will always be in my knife roll.

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

Gift certificate to the place where you buy your meat........

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

I'll be SIXTY (60) next year and I still don't have a Lang. Must be nice. Congrats on your new smoker.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Santa silly

I love my maverick et73

Unread 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Don't need the bear claws. Get a sampler pack of good rubs and sauces and try something new whenever you cook. Next get a chimney or weed burner for starting up the pit. Finally, find a good supply of seasoned cherry wood and you really don't need anything else;)

Unread 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

Good question. I like the idea of a gift certificate to a meat store - cuz practice will be your best tool. But I have both of the pig hooks, and I rarely use them, could have done without. Use tongs instead.

The #1 tool that you need, and you already have is: a membership to the BBQ Brethren. This will set you apart from the pack.

But second importance is as follows:

I use my silicon gloves, my Maverick ET-732 the most in anything I do. A wood cutting board with a juice catcher "moat". Yup, gloves and a wireless thermometer have been my best tools since i started 2 years ago.

Unread 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry The Toad View Post
I didn't get my Lang until I was FIFTY! (Of course, I didn't start smoking until I was about 46 or 47.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Don View Post
I'll be SIXTY (60) next year and I still don't have a Lang. Must be nice. Congrats on your new smoker.
I feel better now... I was 48 when I got my Lang!

As for the Bear Claws, I have a set and use them when I have a large quantity (4 or more) of pork to pull... They are a tool and have their place.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone.... I think I'm gonna ask the wife for the Maverick 732 and the AccuSharp knife sharpener. She made it clear "I am not buying you any knives. Take your @ss in there and sharpen the Cuisinart set."
I'm kinda thinking I want a good pair of gloves to pull pork with (to protect my hands). Can you guys recommend a good pair and post a link?