The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question cookinq question

I'm doing 200 lbs of pork butts for my work. This will be the first time that I will have that much meat in my cooker.

I have a stick burner...
Will I find myself going through a lot more wood than I'm used to?

Also, the weather is a lot cooler than I'm used to; what should I expect different than my summer cooks?

Thanks in advance.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

How much cooler? You will need more fuel because you have so much more mass to cook. One thing to do is try and get your meat to room temp before putting it on the smoker. That way you don't have to recover so much to get your smoker back up to temp. Make sure you have some air space between the meat to get good circulation.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
I'm doing 200 lbs of pork butts for my work. This will be the first time that I will have that much meat in my cooker.

I have a stick burner....
I have a stickburner and have done that much before myself.

Quote:
Will I find myself going through a lot more wood than I'm used to?.
Yes, but be careful to keep a clean burning fire or you will creosote your meat. Be patient when trying to get the smoker temps back in your ideal range and keep a nice clean fire going.

Quote:
Also, the weather is a lot cooler than I'm used to; what should I expect different than my summer cooks?.
Is your cooker insulated? Even if it is, it will still take somewhat longer. This cold weather will also contribute to you using more wood.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
crb478
Knows what a fatty is.

You will have to use more wood and probably need to tend the fire more often. If it is much cooler outside get a welding blanket to put over to cooking chamber to help maintain some of the heat. Make sure that you pit is good and up to temp before you put the meat on and then cook away.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

as stated room temp meat will be your best friend. if you have an old comforter to throw around the cooker it will help to insulate some of your heat. try to get all your meat out there at one time. open the door get it on the smoker and shut it. if you have a way to moniter meat temps then you have no reason to open the door to let out the heat. do this and once it gets back to cooking temp you wont use but just a little more feul than normal.

Unread 12-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
How much cooler? You will need more fuel because you have so much more mass to cook. One thing to do is try and get your meat to room temp before putting it on the smoker. That way you don't have to recover so much to get your smoker back up to temp. Make sure you have some air space between the meat to get good circulation.
This I would suggest to do at all times. Whether cooking on the gasser or smoker. I let my meat sit out for a little while so it can warm up as much as possible.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

A blanket is going to be your best bet. I've gotten to using a old moving blanket when ever I cook, summer, winter, and any time between.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote