The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Went with the MasterForge Water Smoker

and a charcoal chimney from Lowe's for my brother's "starter" smoker for Xmas. I think he'll like it, and it got very good reviews. If he uses it and appreciates the art of barbeque grilling, then I'll upgrade him next year to the WSM and will let him know so. However, for now I do have a a few questions. What are some mods that can be done on this unit in order to control the air intake in order to get better temp control? And can lump be used efficiently on this type of unit, or is it better to go with the briquettes (I have a Primo Oval XL).

Also, I'm very, very interested in a second smoker, the UDS type. If I want to go the route of buying one and not making my own, what is the best way to go for the money? I was looking at the Big Drum Smokers, but a pretty drastic recent price increase has swayed me. What are some other good companies to look at who make a pretty good UDS? Thanks, fellows.
Steelers252006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Pics! Pics! Pics!
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
thirtydaZe is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
Pics! Pics! Pics!
Pics of what??

Unread 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Also, I'm sure there are quite a few plans I can find by searching on-line. Will a place like Lowe's have everything I'd need to build my own UDS including the drums??

Unread 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers252006 View Post
Also, I'm sure there are quite a few plans I can find by searching on-line. Will a place like Lowe's have everything I'd need to build my own UDS including the drums??
Lowes will have pretty much everything you'll need except for the drum, and maybe a dome lid.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers252006 View Post
Pics of what??
The masterforge. I want to see!
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
thirtydaZe is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Is this the one you got for him?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332738-42600...7C1&facetInfo=

If so, it appears from the reviews that a charcoal pan mod is in order. It looks like some people put a Weber charcoal grate in the pan and put feet on the pan to raise it up. If he uses Kingsford briquettes with the stock, unmodified pan, it will likely clog with ash. The above mod will help that. If it was me, I would make an expanded metal charcoal basket for it rather than modding the pan.

A nation of sheep will soon have a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

It's a spitting image of a Brinkmann Gourmet. Search for ECB Gourmet mods, a fire basket mod (mini uds style) is a huge plus in a cooker like that.

A pic of my ECB Gourmet coal basket:

Modding the intake to be fully adjustable instead of always wide open is another huge step forward. Next is creating exhaust in the lid, something like this:

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

How exactly do you mod the bottom intake on this? Also, what is that that you have on the lid to cover the top air holes you drilled?

Unread 12-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

That's just a chunk of pecan wood that I use to close off the exhaust when I'm done cooking. As for the intake regulation, I used a piece of 1/16" aluminum flat bar bolted to the bottom to make a moveable intake adjuster:

It slides back and forth to adjust intake from closed to wide open. There are marks on the side of bottom to let you know how open the intake is.

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

I bought one of these for our Son-in-Law. The only mod we did was a piece of flat metal that allowed us to regulate the intake from completely closed to completely open like the pic above^^^. It really works well for the price. Cheers!!!

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
Steelers252006
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
It's a spitting image of a Brinkmann Gourmet. Search for ECB Gourmet mods, a fire basket mod (mini uds style) is a huge plus in a cooker like that.

A pic of my ECB Gourmet coal basket:

Modding the intake to be fully adjustable instead of always wide open is another huge step forward. Next is creating exhaust in the lid, something like this:

One more question. What exactly is the material and where did you purchase it for the charcoal cage that you have on the grate?

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Expanded metal, I used the thinner ga stuff available at Lowes for that basket. The metal is wrapped around a 15" weber charcoal grate to form the "basket" The whole assembly rests on 3 stainless bolts ~2" above bottom of charcoal pan to allow for lots of ash buildup without choking the fire down.

I also drilled a **** load of holes in the charcoal pan for better air flow to the coals:

With all those mods done, that cooker will keep up with a WSM any day. The only disadvantage is the smaller diameter of ~15". It would be tough to fit a full sized brisket packer in there, but 2-4 pork butts at a time is easy. I've had it run for 14 hours on one basket of coals too.

Unread 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
uncledel
Got rid of the matchlight.

Wow, El Roppo!

That makes me think it would be easier, and maybe cheaper, to hack a Brinkaman than to build an UDS..??

Do you use the watter pan in it when you smoke?

--del
uncledel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

i always see a ton of UDS for sale on craigslist