oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Default How long to thaw a butt?

I just took a 9.25lb butt out of the deep freezer and put it in a sink of cool water. How long will it take it to thaw out? I meant to take it out last night and start the thawing and forgot. I was hoping to be able to smoke this butt overnight tonight but if I can't start until in the morning that will be OK too...

Old 12-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Unless you are really needing to inject it, you can just rub it and throw it on. I may be wrong as I am no food safety expert but I think you would be fine if you started cooking it while the center is still frozen. I have had to do this in the past with some chuckies, a brisket, and a couple butts and didn't have any issues aside from perhaps a longer cooking time. You would think I would learn to pull these things out of the freezer sooner
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I have read where guys go from freezer to coooker with no thaw.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I do want to inject it. I have never done that before and I'm going to try it on this one for sure. I will just leave it in the sink until it's thawed and then work with it from there.. I'm not on a time schedule with this one...

Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you have a lot of water in the sink, it should thaw in a few hours. The more water, the more thermal mass, and the quicker it will all equalize. The more water, the better. Drop that baby in a swimming pool, and you'll be thawed out in a hurry.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Ron_L

Running water also helps. If you have a 5 gallon bucket put it into the bath tub and then put the butt in there and have the cold water running slowly.

Even with that you're looking at about an hour per pound.

The Naked Fatty!

***Annual Chicago Area Brethren Picnic! Join us!!!***

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I saw online it said to do approx 30 mind per pound in water

[COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

[COLOR=darkred]Check out my all things food (and movies) blog [/COLOR][URL="http://www.onenine3bbq.blogspot.com"]One Nine 3 Blog[/URL] [COLOR=darkred]or at my[/COLOR] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/OneNine3"]Facebook Page[/URL]

If you're a fellow [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=53"]Carolina Brethren[/URL] come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Running water also helps. If you have a 5 gallon bucket put it into the bath tub and then put the butt in there and have the cold water running slowly.

Bingo!
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

I third that running water acts like a bigger thermal mass helps thaw faster :)

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I left it in water in the sink for about 8 hours... i changed that water out once... Put it in the fridge and it will stay in there for 10 or 12 more hours so hopefully it will be ready to go tomorrow...

Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #11
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Agreed on the running water...drop a big chunk of ice in room temp water and the same size chunk under running water....no contest. I run off of a water well though so I dont have to pay a water bill when I'm thawing that way.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote