The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Teaching BBQ Classes At Competitions...

Food for thought...would it be "legal" for teams to teach and compete at a KCBS sanctioned qualifying event? For example...Team "A" holds a class on Friday for 10 teams that plan to compete on Saturday...including Team "A".
There could also be several other teams that may hold classes as well...what say ye Brethren?
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
On the road to being a farker

-I imagine it would be 'legal'
-I imagine class would be 'pay to play'?? If so, Would aforementioned TEAM A be COMPLETELY FORTHCOMING - I guess my question would be, "WHADDAYA not tellin' me??" Because in my world accepting $$ from peers one assumes Integrity supercedes 'secrets' -- although, I do realize it's all about the actual 'cook'

-would participants leave the 'classroom' doing the proverbial 'walk of shame' (ahhh...to be in college again) by perhaps, more judgmental teams? ALTHOUGH, if any Brethren wanted to 'practice' teaching a Q class and asked me to sit in I would GLADLY do that for you!! Just sayin'...

-Is course a general invite 'Shmoking 101'? Would that be beneficial at an actual comp?

RUB IT
SMOKE IT
PULL IT
!
- KCBS Judge #21965
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

It has been done on Thursday night
Don't know about Friday

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
YellowSuge
Knows what a fatty is.

My only thought is whether or not a competition organizer would be keen on the idea of you making money in that fashion during his/her event.

Unread 12-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I would not have an issue with it. As long as the organizer was OK with it...no worries.

I think a lot of the more experienced teams "lightly" teach the other new teams anyways....for free.

Unread 12-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Ive invited people to cook with me for free. Maybe I should start charging. People who have worked with me see exactly what I do. The classes I have attended hold nothing back.

A class the day before a contest would just be a distraction for those learning. I spent months practicing after taking a class.

Unread 12-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

It's been done 2 years in a row @ Smokin in Mesquite..Butcher BBQ then 4 legs up this year..except Kelly did the class on Friday and turn ins were Sunday this year.
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoa...440847709&_rdr
Our website:
http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
swamprb

Are not most KCBS events Friday-Saturday gigs?

I think CSC and Quau did this in Wyoming this Summer?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Yes. Did it on Friday and all the students beat our butts on Saturday....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Yes. Did it on Friday and all the students beat our butts on Saturday....
Hmmm...there IS that! ...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSuge View Post
My only thought is whether or not a competition organizer would be keen on the idea of you making money in that fashion during his/her event.
Seems to me when I was living in Arizona that this was actually part of the promotional package for the entire event at Lake Havasu.

There was a KCBS competiton class by 4 Legs Up, KCBS Judging class, as well as the event which fielded about 70 teams.

I obviously don't know the financial side between the organizer and the instructor but I think working in conjunction with the organizer is a great idea to grow the events through education of how to cook the meats as well as what the rules are.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

I have always thought it would be cool to organize a mini BBQ convention a day before a comp. You arrive and set up your booth Thursday. Then Friday during the day there are classes to choose from…this way you can have locals and teams come in a take comp cooking classes, you could have a focus group in presentation and box building, a food safety class for those looking to start vending…etc

One stop BBQ Shop…dunno if it would ever work, but it’s a cool idea

Unread 12-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Divemaster

I wouldn’t have a problem with it, but KCBS might…

A couple of years ago Ramona did a Box Preparation Class at PoorQue. The reps were ok with the class but wanted it made PERFICTLY CLEAR that KCBS had nothing to do with it and didn't support it.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We taught a class at the Roc City ribfest this year the day before the comp... worked out fine. We did it in conjunction with the organizer. He offered it as a service to the teams that were looking for something like that. A value add for his event.

I would like to teach a class at Mesquite next year, I think that would be a blast! Dont know if they rotate annually or what out there, so I will have to talk to Arlie.

The classes really have nothing to do with KCBS, and are not part of the KCBS sanctioned event.... so really it is just the organizer that you would need to work with. We'll be teaching classes in Canada this year again at Well Seasoned, and likely doing a comp class before an event :) not spilling toooo many secrets yet... but we had so much fun last year ( and all 4 classes we taught were well attended, and great folks) that we are going back for sure!!!

I'm always open to teaching a class at any comp we are at!

As far as private stuff... many folks here will attest to the fact that I dont hide anything, If you have a question, ask and I answer. and many times, I'll just drag ya in the trailer and walk through whatever it is I am trying to explain. Now if someone wants EVERY detail... then that will cost then some coin... for 1 on 1 full contact instruction. LOL we do our share of imbibing on Friday night ... so be forwarned, any skills forgotten, can be re-explained. ;)

Unread 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #15
Bigdog

Sounds like a great idea and one that he KCBS should support as it would incourage newbies to try their hand in competition, but then again, the current board seems more interested in drama.

Another idea is to have judging classes before as well and then you could try your hand and applying what you just learned at a comp the next day. Does anyone already do this?

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote