The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
KJ's BBQ
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pricing Help!

First let me say that we are new to catering and have done 8 catering events. Most of our cooks have been pretty basic, 2-3 meats and 2-3 sides with dessert and we are in the $14.00 range. We are competing with a large BBQ restaurant and their price for what is listed below is over $800.00! Thats 44 dollars PP. I was thinking somewhere around $550.00. Should we price according to our numbers or should we be close to the $800.00? Are we not changing enough?
They also would like to have some leftovers for the next day.

Thanks for the help.

18 People:
Vegetable tray
Fruit salad or fruit tray
Mixed Greens Salad with 3 dressings - ranch, blue cheese, vinaigrette
Mashed potatoes
Baked beans
Cole slaw
Pork Ribs
Smoked Pulled chicken
Cheese cake (mocha chocolate swirl)
Brownie and Cookie tray
Delivery and Set-up and plates and silverware.
KJ's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

I think the price is somewhat fair I would be at $28-$30 per person ($525 total) based on a minimum of 50 people. Now take in to account there is only 18 people and $700-$800 is the ball park I would be in for this. The prep work for 50 people is not a lot more than for 20 so you will work just as hard and not make near as much if you don't charge extra to compensate.

Last edited by HBMTN; 11-29-2011 at 06:11 PM..
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I think the price is somewhat fair I would be at $28-$30 per person ($525 total) based on a minimum of 50 people. Now take in to account there is only 18 people and $700-$800 is the ball park I would be in for this. The prep work for 50 people is not a lot more than for 20 so you will work just as hard and not make near as much if you don't charge extra to compensate.
I agree. Unless you NEED the business or think this may lead to bigger fish, cooking and prepping for less than 50 is cost prohibited.
The restaurant can do this in a blink as most of the meal is already cooking daily. They also charge fees for smaller parties thus the higher price.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote