ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default brinkman pellet grill

has any one seen or used one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053

i was going to buy a green mountain, but in price comparison the green mountain daniel boone @ $750 or the treager litle tex @ $700. now i might be rethinking a future purchase. it has a 443 sq in cooking space a little bit bigger than both the others. $500 and free shipping. if anyone has seen one i would appreciate some feedback on the construction and durability. thanks

Unread 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Traeger clones are showing up from lots of manufactures.
Each new model has a "shake out" period where the bugs need to be worked out. And, there are always bugs on a new product.

Green Mountain and Traeger both have a history of dealing with the problems and now produce a good (if not great) product.
I have had my Lil' Tex for 2.5 years and it has never missed a beat.

Your decision in the end.

Good Luck---those little pellet cookers ROCK

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
SmokeOCD
Full Fledged Farker

For 250 you get almost 35 pounds more steel in the daniel boone. Traeger is a known name and may resell at a higher price once you upgrade or tire of it.

It's returnable for 90 days, you've got nothing to lose. Make sure you can return it to your local HD. Just try it.
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
lincolncountycookers
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Brinkmann Pellet Grill

I cooked steak on one Saturday, seared at 500 degrees, and finished to a perfect medium rare. Cooked a Brisket Sunday. Started 6am set to low for smoking, it ran at 140 degrees for 4 hours, meat temp was at 137. Changed to Medium, unit ran at 250 degrees until 2pm meat temped 196. It took almost a hopper of pellets to cooker. Great smoke ring, very happy with results.
lincolncountycookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

I saw this thing the other day when I was @ HD, I took the insides apart to see what the firepot set up looked like, I am 99% certain that this is a re-branded Treager lil' tex - the drip tray, heat deflector over the fire pot and the firepot & auger set up look identical to my lil tex.

The biggest difference to me was that the brinkman is a bolt together type of unit, and my tex is all welded at the legs.

the temp control and hopper look exactly like the lil tex.

Interestingly the firepot is stainless steel on the brinkman, mild steel on the tex (at least mine is)

It was surprisingly pretty heavy and had a lower shelf that I always wished the tex had as well as the front shelf.

Honestly, aside from the legs being bolt on legs, I think over all it is built as good or better than the tex and has a few more features too, for less cash!

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
jasonjax
is one Smokin' Farker

The invasion of the pellets has begun. I for one welcome our new overlords. Hail to the pellets!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the info guys. A friend of mine has been asking be about these, knowing that I have Traegers. I haven't known what to tell him as i haven't seen them, but it sounds like they are pretty good units. I'll point him over here for your reviews.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time Zero Member

Try the Throwdowns - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
NU2QN
Full Fledged Farker

I have looked at the Traegers. This Brinkman model has the pellet burner that you find on the Traeger junior. High, Med, and Low, temp selection. I would spend the extra money and get the Traeger Lil Tex. Better temp selection. I would also be curious about the guage of the metal on the Brinkman. When Copy Cat companies put out a product for less money, they usually cut expenses in material choices. IMO!!!
Wine Barrel Smoker
Traeger 075
Mystery Metal Egg
NU2QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

The lil tex comes with the same 3 position knob that this one does.
The digital controller is an upgrade, at least it was the last time I looked.
this brinkman IS a lil tex, they've just made some aesthetic changes to it... The thickness of the steel on this one felt the same or thicker than the tex.

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
AZ Smoker
On the road to being a farker

the only downside I can see to these is no Digital Temp gauge.
AZ Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

Spend the extra money and go traeger, yoder or GMG. I love my daniel Boone, its so versatile and built tough. I will be buying a peoria cooker next year but will keep my gmg because of its versatility and for set it and leave it cooks. Remember, grills with a lot of moving parts and electronics will need repair eventually so you want a quality product that you can get parts for eventually. IMO, you get what you pay for. Save the money and invest in something worth your time.