oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ham

Looking to smoke some hams for christmas. Would like to know what are good size hams to smoke and a good place to buy them.
rowdycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Ron_L

Smoke whatever size you need to feed the crowd. I've done hams from 8 lbs up to 20+ lbs and they come out great. If you need a bigger one and have access to Restaurant Depot, they have great hams.

I do mine at 325 and it takes about 20 minutes per pound to get a fully cooked ham up to 140+ degrees. I usually glaze near the end of the cook.

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
viper1
On the road to being a farker

Default Hams

I make my own but prefer those in the 8-12 lb range. To me there better tasting. If I need more I cook more hams rather then cooking a larger one.
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

Do u usually just buy a reg. Ham or is there a certain type ham u get.
rowdycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
viper1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdycowboy View Post
Not sure who your talking to. But if it's me I buy fresh pork and make it a ham. A lot of guys buy Hams at store. Now most are already smoked all are brined. So basically you just cook or you can add more smoke totally up to you. But I wouldn't rebrine a ham.
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
captndan
is Blowin Smoke!

Check out Whiskey's posts. Very good I'm eating ham and eggs as I type.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Smoke whatever size you need to feed the crowd. I've done hams from 8 lbs up to 20+ lbs and they come out great. If you need a bigger one and have access to Restaurant Depot, they have great hams. You can also get smaller hams (I prefer the 'butt' portion) at your local grocery store.

I do mine at 325 and it takes about 20 minutes per pound to get a fully cooked ham up to 140+ degrees. I usually glaze near the end of the cook.
You trying to give away ALL of my secrets!?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdycowboy View Post
I normally get mine at Rest. Depot and only because I'm going to be feeding the masses... My normal size is about 25 pounds (full ham). This 'City' ham is already fully cooked and ready to serve.

I like to dice the fatcap once any skin that is found has been removed and then spike it with whole cloves.

Smoke at 300-325* for about 20 minutes a pound. Since it's already fully cooked, 140-150* is completely safe for serving.

Once the temps start getting close, I glaze with a mixture of Brown sugar, maple syrup, a touch of cayenne, and some Jack Daniels.

Remember to let it rest for a bit (usually about 30-45 minutes and then slice away.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote