Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness


Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Thread Tools
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Babbling Farker
Mo-Dave's Avatar
Join Date: 09-18-06
Location: Hurricane Deck Missouri
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoker on trailer for rent +.

I have a large Large Spicewine on a trailer and was pondering the idea of renting it out to people for their own use. Now I am thinking if they want to rent a cook along with it and hired me or someone else to set it up and cook the food on location, would I need a license from the health department?

I don't want to cater and invest in all the equipment. Thought this would be an easier way to do it.

I live in Mo and I know I can call the health dep but thought I would see what you all think about it, I mean the rental aspect of it all, thanks.
Lg Spicewine on trailer
Weber charcoal grill
2 ugly drums, semi retired
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
is one Smokin' Farker

OutlawSwine's Avatar
Join Date: 01-11-10
Location: Sylvan Springs, Al
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1

The only thing I can think of would be insurance.
Some joker would rent it, burn his self and then try to sue you over it.
Preston - Facebook, Twitter
Twisted Dixie BBQ
OutlawSwine is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Full Fledged Farker
bizznessman's Avatar
Join Date: 03-20-09
Location: Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Check to see what the license requirements are for being a Personal Chef in your state. (have never researched MO)

We have looked into the same type of arrangement in KS and it does fall under the PChef category and does not require a food license as long as you are cooking on site and not bringing cooked foods with you. They are just paying for your are not "selling cooked food to the public".

Depending on how involved you want to get you could set it all up under an LLC, for renting the equipment out, to help mitigate liability. That is the route we are going.

Definitely check on the insurance angle though. Both liability and equipment. That is the one that can bite you.
Do I smell SMOKE?????
bizznessman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rent smoker for Wildomar Swine Assassins Competition BBQ 13 03-15-2011 10:59 PM
Rent a smoker.. atvalaska Competition BBQ 5 09-03-2010 04:37 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts