The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
kirkg
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Gravity Fed Smoker Portability.....Oxymoron???

Just venturing into some competitions and I've found a gravity fed smoker is the way I want to go. I think it would also be a great home smoker. However, I'm concerned about getting it on and off of my deck - the one I'm looking at is about 500 lbs.

Has anyone found a good way that TWO guys, not 4 or 5, could get this thing up a few stairs?? I have to get up 4 then 2 stairs. Also, I'm thinking that getting this into the back of a truck will be way farkin hard and may have to go to a trailer.

Thoughts?
kirkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

My smokers weigh 350 & 400 pounds, and I'd hate to think about getting them in the back of a truck! I do have a trailer and they're both on wheels, so I roll them in and out of that - which is plenty hard enough for one guy! But then the issue becomes rolling them across gravels, etc, at comps. I would plan on a trailer and some large pneumatic wheels for comps. I got no idea about the stairs other than a mover's dolly. That's how I moved the Backwoods before I put it on wheels. That's about all I got for ya!
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
kirkg
Got Wood.

It does have wheels, but not the pneumatic style.

Unread 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Man, those are killers in other than very small gravel...and at 500 pounds, they will definitely sink into soft dirt and mud. I have to change mine, also. I want to build a cart with pneumatic wheels. Not sure how big they need to be, though.
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

I don't have a super heavy smoker, but I've often wondered how I would accomplish this myself. IMO, I think something (you, a wheel, or the deck) would eventually get damaged if you had to dolly this thing up and down stairs a few or more times a year. If it was me I would keep this smoker in the garage and wheel it on a trailer as necessary. That or just mount it permanetly on a trailer, not sure if that's an option for you. 500lbs is no joke...
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Wow that sounds tough. We take mine to competitions, but it gets rolled from my backyard up a ramped trailer. We can do it with 2 guys pretty easily, but I couldn't fathom having to taking it up and downstairs safely. It's probably 400lbs. Heck I wouldn't want to do it with 4 guys. Then getting it and out of a truck safely so you don't get hurt and the smoker doesn't get damaged would be even harder .

I'm guessing there is not other place to put it where the stairs could be out of the equation? Because then in and out of a trailer is no problem.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

mount it on a trailer and modify your deck to accept the trailer as part of its home parking spot.

building the trailer and mounting the smoker would give you an excellent excuse for beer and Q.

modifying your deck as a docking station to accept the trailer/smoker ...sounds like another event filled with meat and drink.

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
TRS
On the road to being a farker

I have 2 Stump's Prince's, each weighs about 475lbs. I could not imagine trying to get them up and down stairs and loaded in the back of a truck. I can push them up and down the ramp on our trailer solo no problem. But stairs..................too dangerous.
Not sure what smoker you have but you could possibly lay the smoker down in the truck. No answer for the stairs but some teams also just rent a U-Haul trailer for their comps if buying or storing a trailer is a concern. A truck with a Buddy Lift would also work if you can borrow or have access to one.

Good Luck!

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
kirkg
Got Wood.

I was kidding about the truck part.....we would use a trailer fo sho

But I'm serious about getting it on my deck, just not sure how to do it safely yet. I have plenty of room in my garage and could leave it there, but it's just not the same.

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkg View Post
Just venturing into some competitions and I've found a gravity fed smoker is the way I want to go. I think it would also be a great home smoker. However, I'm concerned about getting it on and off of my deck - the one I'm looking at is about 500 lbs.

Has anyone found a good way that TWO guys, not 4 or 5, could get this thing up a few stairs?? I have to get up 4 then 2 stairs. Also, I'm thinking that getting this into the back of a truck will be way farkin hard and may have to go to a trailer.

Thoughts?
I've got a stumps stretch and there is no way 2 guys would get it up and down steps. Im a pretty big guy and I can get it in and out of my trailer by myself with a ramp but lifting it up stairs just ain't gonna happen. You would need to build you a ramp for your deck. I just cook in my driveway so i can roll it in my garage and out of the elements when it's not inside my trailer. I've got a big green egg on my deck that solves that problem as well.

Unread 11-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
kirkg
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
I've got a stumps stretch and there is no way 2 guys would get it up and down steps. Im a pretty big guy and I can get it in and out of my trailer by myself with a ramp but lifting it up stairs just ain't gonna happen. You would need to build you a ramp for your deck. I just cook in my driveway so i can roll it in my garage and out of the elements when it's not inside my trailer. I've got a big green egg on my deck that solves that problem as well.
I've got a BGE on my deck as well....so I could do the same. I really prefer to cook on the deck though.

How well can the stumps/superior smokers stand up to the elements. I 'm sure they would need to be covered.