拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

Default What's up with the complaining?

The KCBS Comp in Cumming, GA last weekend was awesome. 92 pro teams and many of those being top teams in the country. I'd recommend this comp to anyone who likes to mash it up with the best of the best.

However, I encountered several teams that said the comp was too big, they didn't like comps with over 50 teams and that they wouldn't return next year because of it. Am I missing something? As a competitor, I don't understand who wouldn't want to be in a field of that caliber.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
JohnKinMD
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdrink67 View Post
The KCBS Comp in Cumming, GA last weekend was awesome. 92 pro teams and many of those being top teams in the country. I'd recommend this comp to anyone who likes to mash it up with the best of the best.

However, I encountered several teams that said the comp was too big, they didn't like comps with over 50 teams and that they wouldn't return next year because of it. Am I missing something? As a competitor, I don't understand who wouldn't want to be in a field of that caliber.
Some people just have a fear of large contest.
JohnKinMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdrink67 View Post

There's a bunch of reasons teams do this:
1. They like being the Big Dog at a contest
2. They are just getting started and are intimidated by alot of Big Name Teams
3. They fund their contest schedule with winnings - they feel if you put too many big fish in the pond and they kill each others chances of big money
4. Some people like how it used to be, with just 40-50 teams...they can't take the growth and change the sport is undergoing
5.There are probably a thousand different reasons why they would say this but the main one is...Us BBQ people just like to B#tch alot

I bet when you return next year they will all be there competing, and spouting off the same things as this year...

Neil

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18,5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem" http://www.toosaucedtopork.com
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Scottie
Babbling Farker

The sooner young cooks learn that it's you vs. judges and not vs. the 'big name' teams. Big name teams dont control the contest. You do as a cook. I personally enjoy cooking against the 'big boys'. If you cant get up for cooking against the best, then youre not a competitor.

Go out and have fun, cook your best and dont worry about anyone else.

'You' is used in general terms.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The team that puts the "best" product on the "best" table is going to win. Admittedly, the "big boys" have a better shot at this because they cook more and have spent more time refining their skills, but like they say: "On any given Saturday ....." .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Cumming was a first class contest, especially for a first year event. Great sponsor work and super reps on hand. Big name competitors to challenge the entrants. It doesn't get much better. Anyone who complains has no basis for it.

Hub
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I was not at this contest, however I do have experience with both large and small contests alike. I love the intimacy of the smaller contests (even if five of the top ten teams in the nation are there) and the intense competition of the larger ones. I don’t look at the contest size when planning which to go to, but rather the reputation of the organizers or personal experience with any given contest.

Some of the issues/complaining could have been driven by the organizers – two specifics stick out in my mind from this year:

1) when a contest gets big, the organizer crams teams into spots – I did a contest this year that went from 30 some teams to 50 some teams and this year over 70 – numerous teams had to contend with cooking in muddy sites or grass that was so slick you could barely stay on your feet. This IMHO was to fill the coffers of the organizer – I will not return.
2) Also as the number of contestants grows, the payout should grow and the number of calls should be expanded. If you have a small contest, say 25 or less teams ribbons & cash to the top five is fine, 25 to 50 teams should at least call the top ten & cash to at least the top five but top ten would be nice, 50 – 75 teams should at least call the top 15 & cash to the top ten but top 15 would be nice, and any contest with over 75 teams should call the top 20 and cash to the top 15 but top 20 would be nice. The contest mentioned above only gave ribbons out to the top 5 and cash to the top three if I remember right – as stated before I will not return.

Sorry for the long rant, but these smaller contest that grow too big too fast without taking care of the teams will earn a bad reputation and lose teams quickly.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

10 teams or 100 teams.. shouldnt matter.. Your cooking for the judges, not against the teams. IMhO, if the contest was a first year event, and was well organized, the teams will come back, and for every one that drops out, 2 more may fill the spot. We were actually considering going to this contest, but the drive was 930 miles. I wussed out.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

What Scottie said. Our 1st contest was 70+ teams and we got 1 call (4th) and no money. I was and still am a nobody, but, I ain't scared........Up against 100 or 2, you still have to be the best that day.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
10 teams or 100 teams.. shouldnt matter.. Your cooking for the judges, not against the teams. IMhO, if the contest was a first year event, and was well organized, the teams will come back, and for every one that drops out, 2 more may fill the spot. We were actually considering going to this contest, but the drive was 930 miles. I wussed out.
I agree, the reputation of the organizer will carry this contest. Cooking against the best just betters your "game." It's also nice if you can get a higher call than one of the Big Boys. The teams that complained probably don't compete much and could learn a lot by just watching how relaxed the experienced teams are at the event and talking with them - not shigging though - that could cause problems.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
moosesbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I look at each event as a competition against myself. Staying consistent, only changing what I have proven and tested. Leaving what works alone. Anyone can win a competition on any day. It depends on you. Having a large attendance or big names in the space next to you don't cost you a comp.

Scottie from CSC is right. Have fun, that's why we do this.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #12
Gowan
is One Chatty Farker

We cooked at Cumming. Randall & Company did a fine job, and we will probably be back. Still, I can appreciate those that express a preference for smaller shows. In addition to the longer odds and reduced intimacy already noted, the increased number of teams can make getting in and out more of a hassle, and the larger crowds may be an annoyance for some cooks.

I like both kinds of contests. Big and small can both be good, as long as the event is well managed and the participants made to feel appreciated.
Gowan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
The sooner young cooks learn that it's you vs. judges and not vs. the 'big name' teams. Big name teams dont control the contest. You do as a cook. I personally enjoy cooking against the 'big boys'. If you cant get up for cooking against the best, then youre not a competitor.

Go out and have fun, cook your best and dont worry about anyone else.

'You' is used in general terms.
Got that right.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
fnbish
Babbling Farker

As a rookie team this year this was by far the largest competition we cooked. Largest before was around 50ish teams. While we knew it would be tough we were excited to see ow our food would stack up. We did great for us and had an awesome time.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Iamarealbigdog
On the road to being a farker

I would like to offer an opposing thought, we did a several small competitions in one particular state and not one event was over 50 teams, most events 1/2 that amount, very friendly and warm. We developed many new relationships and my team looks forward to do these as fun social events.

Last year a large competition came to that state with many large power teams in attendance. Of course we signed up and then started queering if or local friends were going to attend. They told me that they would not.

Their thought was the more power travel teams attended, the less opportunity for them to get a call. They felt they were merely fodder for the prize pool. This was not an isolated opinion but systemic with several teams offering the same thought. We went and the atmosphere was very different. Getting to the podium was tough, got a call and thankful for the one, it paid our registration fees.

I get what they are saying, this is the transition from what BBQ was, and the progression of what the BBQ “Sport” is turning out to be. Don’t get me wrong, I like to cook with the big boys, but there is something to say about a small intimate event. It’s not always about winning but the comradeship of the competitors verses the chase for points, prestige and money. Its just a very different game hat.

Cheers

Mike -- The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

Thanks from: --->