The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Opinions on FAB?

Hey Brethren! I'm going to be competing in my first KCBS sanctioned competition this spring and I've heard and read some stuff about FAB. While I would like to have an edge going into this competition, I was wondering what some more experienced competitors thought about the product. I'm leaning towards not using it because I like to do things all natural and am concerned about MSG. I know I can taste MSG in a product like BBQ potato chips and I wonder if when judges taste it they score lower (kinda like it's cheating). I know they have an "no MSG added" variety but still don' like the idea of the other chemical type stuff in it. Do you think I'll place well without it, or is it almost necessary to do well? Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated!

Unread 11-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

a high % of teams use products like Butcher's, Kosmo's or FAB injections, especially those who consistently perform well (but not all). You can be at a disadvantage by not using one of them.. but if you think you cook a great brisket, then go without it and see how it fares.

Unread 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put personal preferences aside when competing. The judges don't care what you prefer!! FAB is a good product and many top teams use it to enhance the moisture, taste, and tenderness of their products. However, you can win without it - but it is one extra "thing" about comps that new folks have to learn about.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Remember that you are not cooking for your taste, you're cooking for the judges. We've been trusting our Butcher lately and it hasn't failed us yet. Whatever you use....I suggest using at least one of the Big 3 mentioned by MilitantSquatter.

Unread 11-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

Why don't you just cook 2 whatever's and do one with and one without in a practice run and you decide.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

In competition bbq you need to do as much as you can to put yourself above the rest of the teams. Fab helps do that, not just flavor but in the moisture department. I think that Fab B does exactly what is was invented to do. I did a pork test run last weekend using Fab P and it was awesome. Give it a try and see what you think , you may just surprise yourself with the results.

Unread 11-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
Why don't you just cook 2 whatever's and do one with and one without in a practice run and you decide.
Sage advice.

I have used FAB, Butcher's, and Kosmo's.
All are great and I use them for comp meats--not backyard cooking due to cost.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Soulman1282

Well it seems pretty unanimous! Guess I'll get some and see what all the fuss is about. I noticed something on the website saying that it may change cooking times because of moisture rentention. Anyone know about that?

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Scottie
Babbling Farker

It's FABulous!!! I have won a lot of awards using FAB. Is it the only one? No. Probably the original. But as someone else said. try FAB, Butchers and Kosmos to attain the flavors that you want for the judges, not the taste that you want. If you are cooking for yourself you will be making a mistake. Cook for the judges.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Also.. I am not sure if its released to the public yet. But the FAB C Dark for chicken is awesme. I've had the opportunity to play with it a bit and it's a winner as well.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have not tried FAB but have used Butcher's and Kosmo's with good success...like Scottie said...cook for the judges...not yourself!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I use Butchers and wouldn't cook without it. Much better moisture retention on brisket and much better meat flavor on both butt and brisket. MSG is a natural substance that gets a bad rap because a very small percentage of the population gets "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome (headaches) from it. I use it half strength (twice as much water).
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Soulman1282

What about the phosphates? do you use that in conjunction with the regular beef or pork injection? and if so does it make a big difference?

Unread 11-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman1282 View Post
What about the phosphates? do you use that in conjunction with the regular beef or pork injection? and if so does it make a big difference?
FAB contains phosphates

CONTAINS: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed oil, sodium phosphates, monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.

Unread 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Soulman1282

I know that, just didn't know if more was better! They have the Ames triple phoshate on the site where they sell the FAB and I didn't know if you use both or just one or the other.